Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
Not wanting to incite anything, but just interested. Traditionally there is a mix of threads on both sides, but all I seem to see lately are problem threads.

Historically I have just upgraded every year by ordering--but this year I waited to see the X in person. Sitting with a 7 Plus at the moment. I have been out to play with the X a few times and it looks like a fun change. Realistically, every Apple phone I have bought over the years has looked and worked about the same--I thought the X was rather refreshing.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
People are generally more likely to hit up the forums when there's a problem, which can skew the appearance of the overall public perception. I am sure that there are many more people who enjoy their X than those who don't.

With that being said, I personally love my X. Although I do have some minor gripes with it, I find it an absolute joy to use and it is by far my favorite iPhone upgrade I've done.

I know there's a common occurrence here where people say that after a while, the 'shininess'' wears off and they realize it's just a phone (or the infamous, "IT'S JUST A TOOL!") but I personally don't feel that with my iPhones, or the tech I buy in general, and I definitely don't feel that with my iPhone X. YMMV of course.

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017
I think my X is amazing. Pleasure to use and interact with. I have had mine since launch day and I still feel it is a wonderful product; I am very happy I purchased it and did not listen to the early naysayers. I honestly have never enjoyed an Apple product this much.

The people with issues (and those who just feel a need to bash the choices of others) will always be louder on forums like this. The majority of people/users don’t generally need to come to a forum like this and post a thread saying “My X is Still Perfect!”. And then deal with being told they are just wrong because the X was rushed, and Apple should have implemented Touch ID under the screen, and the notch. They are just out there enjoying their life and using their phone.

Last edited:

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
I regularly read several online publications about Apple, listen to four weekly podcasts about Apple, have never used an Android device, have owned iPhones for ten years, and have Kool-Aid stains around my lips, so I’m not sure that my opinion about iPhone X really means much here, now that civility demands that we allow equal time to discuss the benefits of Android and the Note 8.

That disclosure stated, I like my X. It was love at first swipe.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I think my X is amazing. Pleasure to use and interact with. I have had mine since launch day and I still feel it is a wonderful product; I am very happy I purchased it and did not listen to the early naysayers. I honestly have never enjoyed an Apple product this much.

The people with issues (and those who just feel a need to bash the choices of others) will always be louder on forums like this. The majority of people/users don’t generally need to come to a forum like this and post a thread saying “My X is Still Perfect!”. They are just out there enjoying their life and using their phone.

I am basically in agreement with this. The X is an amazing piece of engineering and manufacturing skill, a technical tour de force. Other manufacturers try to achieve goals like this. I honestly think only Apple really comes close to achieving the kind of vision that this phone represents.

On the other hand, I do feel that the UI/UX people need to keep thinking about how they use this hardware. Some options that seem to me like obvious alternative toggles in settings could make this a far more usable, maybe "transparent" is the right word, user experience.

Buying the phone is a bit of a leap of faith, but I think that the hardware is there, waiting for the UI/UX engineering team to really grasp and envision the capabilities they've been given. The hardware side has given them the canvas and a full palette. They need to get to work and really paint up to the potential that they have been given.

With that said (wow, wordy, sorry), even with the things that bother me, DK really captures it: "[p]leasure to use and interact with." I keep thinking I'm going to return it and the bottom line is that I'm having a very hard time actually seeing myself doing that, which really tells you how I feel at the end of the day.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Not wanting to incite anything, but just interested. Traditionally there is a mix of threads on both sides, but all I seem to see lately are problem threads.

Historically I have just upgraded every year by ordering--but this year I waited to see the X in person. Sitting with a 7 Plus at the moment. I have been out to play with the X a few times and it looks like a fun change. Realistically, every Apple phone I have bought over the years has looked and worked about the same--I thought the X was rather refreshing.

What’s most important to me is software experience. I can get the same software experience on my iPhone 8 as the X pretty much. I had the X for 2 weeks and to me it was like a Rolls Royce with a crappy interior. Most definitely the most premium looking device on the market. I guess I was expecting an over haul in the software to coincide with the super premium hardware. For me the super premium hardware doesn’t jive with the software. Not that I don’t like the software I do as I have an 8. The X just didn’t feel right. I returned it got an 8 and I’m couldn’t be happier with what I consider the perfected iPhone.

Reactions: RtWrecklezX

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
A lot of the thread titles are negative but if you wade through the many pages there are folks on both sides. I typically land on iPhone because any trips I’ve had into the android world have not worked out well in my case. I very nearly got the Note 8 this year but wanted to try the X. I do not regret my decision and never even considered returning this phone. Faceid may change how you interact with the phone in certain instances but overall the experience is excellent. I actually like the notch (I don’t know why, I know it does not add to the viewing experience). Faceid has worked very well for me and the build quality is beyond any phone I’ve held before, Note 8 included.

Count me in the very happy column. It is damn expensive though and were it not for the upgrade program I likely wouldn’t have purchased.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
MN
Thanks all for the replies--my impressions playing with them at Apple have been positive. A couple quirks outweighed by what I would simply call "a nice change" from my previous Apple phones. For me phone usage is about 50% Safari; 20% email; 20% navigation (Navigon, which I think has been updated for the X) and about 10% phone use. Despite the narrower screen than my 7 Plus, I just like the feel of the X.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
They are just out there enjoying their life and using their phone.

I am going to come back here and say what a beautiful post this is - thank you.

Trying to keep this sort of topical for this thread, to the OP I would add that as I've been walking around reflecting a little on your general question, one interesting thing (or I guess as interesting as a discussion of iPhones can be? ;) ) about the X for me is that although I do still have some sore points (ApplePay!!!), quite a bit of using the phone has become "transparent" (the word I used earlier) in the sense that for the first time in all my years of cellphone use (since 1989), I feel like the phone has just sort of disappeared. It's not there, as an object. I just do what I want to do (mostly - ApplePay!!! ;) ), without having to think about how I'm using the phone, which is pretty good for exactly one week of ownership.

Reactions: DiveKitty

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I’d like to add that a majority of the threads, videos and reviews that come off as negative are harping on the same few issues which mostly consist of iOS 11 integration with the device. And then there’s the notch. But I digress.

Point I’m making is that most of the issues will be ironed out with software updates. This phone will continue to grow and improve and all of the people who didn’t give it a chance and returned it will be back next year to enjoy a less “beta” experience.

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I made the transition from a 7+ to an X and I couldn’t be happier. It’s a stunning piece of tech. No regrets. If you can be bothered I wrote a fairly detailed review on here somewhere.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
It's a great phone, but I didn't think it was worth $1k so I ended up returning it and got a $350 Essential Phone that does 98% of the same things, but at a much lower cost.

Reactions: RtWrecklezX

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
What’s most important to me is software experience. I can get the same software experience on my iPhone 8 as the X pretty much. I had the X for 2 weeks and to me it was like a Rolls Royce with a crappy interior. Most definitely the most premium looking device on the market. I guess I was expecting an over haul in the software to coincide with the super premium hardware. For me the super premium hardware doesn’t jive with the software. Not that I don’t like the software I do as I have an 8. The X just didn’t feel right. I returned it got an 8 and I’m couldn’t be happier with what I consider the perfected iPhone.

And pretty much all of the gestures would work on an older phone model with the home button if Apple allowed it. Only thing I really use my home button for now on my iPad is to unlock it.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
It's a great phone, but I didn't think it was worth $1k so I ended up returning it and got a $350 Essential Phone that does 98% of the same things, but at a much lower cost.

If I were short on cash, this would be the #1 phone I go for as well. But I do have an expense account and a “too good to be true” Crop/EPP agreement. The iPhone X 256GB is a no brainer.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Thats like saying a horse does 98% of the same things a car does. Not taking into account a car is much faster
A better comparison: A Honda Accord does 98% of a BMW 3 Series. Is it worth $10g’s more to get the BMW?

The iPhone X is a luxury item, just like a Galaxy S8. Plenty of phones can do things very well at $100 - 200 these days. If you want the best, you’ll have to pony up a lot of cash.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
We will add you to the Apple prayer list.
Why? I actually find I can do more on the essential phone than I could do on the iPhone. I gave up features like advanced network and cellular stats when I switched to the X anyways, so I find I get more out of the Essential phone.

A better comparison is a Honda Accord does 98% of what BMW can do. Is it worth $10g’s more to get the BMW?

The iPhone X is a luxury item, just like a Galaxy S8. Plenty of phones can do things very well at $100 - 200 these days. If you want the best, you’ll have to pony up a lot of cash.

I wouldn't compare it to a BMW vs Honda either, as the Essential phone also has a full display with a notch, and the back is ceramic with a titanium frame. Both are built very well and feel premium.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I wouldn't compare it to a BMW vs Honda either, as the Essential phone also has a full display with a notch, and the back is ceramic with a titanium frame. Both are built very well and feel premium.

An LED screen is what defines luxury, top of the line, phones by today’s standard.

Just because Honda Accord comes with Honda sensing and push button start now, it is still no Mercedes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.