Who of you prefers the Apple Watch over his Rolex/Patek/Omega/Breitling/etc?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by scarab0, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I believe the member that you quoted realizes that the Apple Watch is not worth anything long-term, that’s common knowledge. Smart watches in general, like anything tech related, depreciates. That’s the nature of silicon that is superseded by something else annually with newer technology. Even the first Gen 18 karat gold Apple Watch is hardly worth anything compared to what it once was valued at when it launched in 2015, why? Because it’s a tech device that is no longer supported, with the exception of the gold casing.

2. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

You are talking about Apple Watch 1 ? I have AW 3 that I can't sell unless I drop the price so low that its better just give it to your grandson to play with

3. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Good point- why's is that? Scarcity?

4. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

Currently, the supply of stainless steel Rolex sport models is very tight. Some people are on 2+ year waiting lists to get one. Rolex, even without supply constraints, hold their value exceptionally well. Most mechanical and automatic watches depreciate somewhat in value, but level off over the years. With care and maintenance, a mechanical watch will last for decades, so most will retain some value.

5. dfs macrumors 6502

It's odd that, for all the discussion the Watch has generated since its debut, how little discussion has centered on its most basic purpose of them all: its function as a timepiece.

Well, let's take a moment to compare it to even the top luxury watches. Back in the day, the quality of a watch was often assessed with reference to its accuracy, and that of, say, the Patek Philippe's +/- 1 second per day was hailed as a masterpiece of legendary Swiss craftsmanship. So let's compare the Apple Watch. The one on your wrist is at one end of a chain. The other end is the atomic clock that relies on the vibration of the cesium atom maintained by the US Navy's observatory in Virginia. The accuracy of that has recently been bumped up to +/- 1 second every sixty million years. And they're talking about replacing the cesium atom with something far more stable, so pretty soon we'll be talking about how many seconds have been gained or lost since the Big Bang.

Any questions? (Sure, there's a time-lag introduced by various links in that connecting chain, but that's too small to be observable by you or by me, and anyway it is at least supposedly corrected by software).

And then there's the issue of flexibility. Here the Watch has a whole bag of tricks: it can automatically adjust for the presence or absence of daylight savings time. It can do the same for leap years. And then there's its best party trick of them all: you're plane is flying into about any place in the world and just about the time your plane lands (sometimes even before its wheels have touched the tarmac) it has sniffed out the local time zone and reset itself accordingly. You don't even have to know how many hours you have gained or lost during your flight and do any math in your head or on your cocktail napkin. You can pass the time this operation has just saved you by observing all your Rolex-owning fellow passengers going through this exercise manually (and in 2019 A. D. "manually" is one of the dirtiest words in the English language.)

6. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

Me too, but that's simply because I never have to really rely on a watch, so it's not a big deal if it stops. As I mentioned above, if it was something that I was actually relying on, like in a diving situation, I'd get it serviced in recommended intervals. I still try to get pressure checks every year, though, since I swim in a lot of my watches.

Either way, calling a watch that needs a complete rebuild every decade (on average) "built for a lifetime" is a bit dubious.

7. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Yep - I had a 2000 Rolex GMT II Coke bezel that increased 4x in value before I sold it in 2017. If I had kept it for another year I could have gotten another $1500 out of it. And a 1 year old Submariner Hulk that was $9000 new is now fetching $13,500.

But not all Rolex climb in value that much - my 3 year old GMT II BLNR was $8500 new and it's probably worth $10,500 now but an Explorer II would be lucky to fetch what a person had paid for it (I sold mine at a $500 loss).
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2019 ---
    A complete rebuild is only for a neglected watch that's missed it's routine service. They don't need a complete rebuild every decade - a good reputable watchmaker can do a $300-400 clean, lube, and adjust every 4-6 years with little wear to the watch's parts and it will continue to run as a family heirloom for generations to come.

The $300-400 is for a certified repair center but not at the manufacturer's own service center. Last I checked Rolex's very own service center was a little over $600 for a full service, while it costs $525 for a service at Omega.

8. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

I can’t speak for indies, but it’s unusal to get out of RSC for only $600. It’s usually more like $800-$1000.

That’s why the metrics don’t really make sense. If you spend $600-$800 every 5 years vs. $1000-$1200 every 12 years, you come out ahead in the latter situation.

Rolex doesn’t actually have a recommended service interval. They say the average is about 10 years, but even Baz on the Rolex Forum (works for RSC) generally just says bring it in when it stops.

9. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

I usually have my Daytona serviced when I feel the crown mechanism getting noticeably less smooth. That said, I hardly ever wear anything other than my AW these days.

10. Wafcarl macrumors newbie

Wafcarl

I need to respark this thread. I went on a cruise a while ago & saw an Omega. Love at first sight, I came home looked around & found what I consider perfect.
    Apple has released Apple Watch 4 & on trying it, I've lost almost 2 stone for one & the other, just looks awesome. As we speak here in UK I have my Omega on my wrist. At the same time, it's on eBay. I don't want to sell the beautiful thing, I just finrd the gold Apple watch stainless steel with milsnese loop keeps drawing me in.
    Same way Samsung about to release Galaxy S10, so I'm stuck. Galaxy & Omega, iPhone & Apple Watch. Doing my head in.

Attached Files:

11. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Love your Omega. I really enjoy my Planet Ocean 2500 Liquid Metal Limited Edition and my Planet Ocean 8500 Titanium with Liquid Metal bezel. Huge bang for the buck vs my Rolex divers.