Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I always had high hopes, even if naive, that Apple would allow internal upgrades to be made to Apple Watches. The materials and build of some models is so good that it’s a shame to throw it away in 3-4 years.

Of course, that’s not as profitable for them. However, I’d pay a decent amount to “service” mine over the years. Not going to happen, but a man can dream.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
There are so many great, standard watches out there and I have a few.
I miss the beefiness of my dive watch, but overall prefer my AppleWatch. For me, it provides all the important info I need to know with a flick of the wrist. I have some memory issues and it really help keep me on track.

I have the original AppleWatch so occasionally I will wear my dive watch if I’m going swimming or going to be outside in heavy inclement weather.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I always had high hopes, even if naive, that Apple would allow internal upgrades to be made to Apple Watches. The materials and build of some models is so good that it’s a shame to throw it away in 3-4 years.

Of course, that’s not as profitable for them. However, I’d pay a decent amount to “service” mine over the years. Not going to happen, but a man can dream.

If you look at the tech spectrum as a whole, everything is like that, hardly any tech today is ‘upgradable’, unless you have a specific PC that you’re using that was built custom, etc. Personally, I don’t know necessarily that I would want a watch that was upgradable with hardware, mainly because you have to look at repair/install costs, unless somebody is ‘tech efficient’ enough where they can make the upgrades themselves, but for the majority, that’s likely not an option.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
call in insecure.
when I had a watch that I paid thousands of dollars for, and whenever I looked at it to admire its beauty (because they are beautiful and they are engineering marvels), I was always conscious of what other people would think of me. I felt superficial and pretentious.
But when I wear a AW, I look at it to use an app. I am not ogling at it the way I look at a mechanical watch.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Mechanical watch the high end they are time pice collectible and very expensive if you are a watch lover you know what I am talking about, I wear the AW only because of the health AP other way I would not touch it.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
The Apple watch is nifty and works like a charm. But over the years I've turned into a traditional watch collector. I can't imagine ditching any of my quartz or mechanical pieces and wearing only the Apple watch (series 4). Generally I wear the Apple watch when I have a lot of appointments coming up or I need an alarm to remind me of something essential. And, since I rotate my traditional watches even throughout the course of a day, I usually end up wearing the Apple watch pretty frequently. In addition, Apple's watch really is beautifully designed and just works.

Msigotit

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
Windy City
I like watches and have several of them. However, I recently purchased an AW because of the health features. I wear a mechanical watch during the day while at work. I wear the AW evenings and weekends. The benefit of wearing the AW during these times eliminates the need of ensuring that I have my phone on me at all time since I am an older individual living along.

Reactions: AttilaTheHun

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
The Apple watch is nifty and works like a charm. But over the years I've turned into a traditional watch collector. I can't imagine ditching any of my quartz or mechanical pieces and wearing only the Apple watch (series 4). Generally I wear the Apple watch when I have a lot of appointments coming up or I need an alarm to remind me of something essential. And, since I rotate my traditional watches even throughout the course of a day, I usually end up wearing the Apple watch pretty frequently. In addition, Apple's watch really is beautifully designed and just works.

The iPhone will do it all too no need your AW for that

nepatriot

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2018
The iPhone will do it all too no need your AW for that

True, your iphone does all that an AW can do. And more.

Your iphone can do everything a mechanical watch can do: tell time, day, date, stop watch, timer, GMT, etc. It can do everything a multi-function quartz watch can do too: auto-sync time, compass, altitude, moon phase, tides, sunset\sunrise, multiple time zones, barometric pressure, etc.

So you really don't need a mechanical or quartz watch at all. Which explains why so many young folks don't wear watches at all. Many never have.

An AW is a tool that allows you to interact - at a glance, or with a silent tap on wrist, in many instances - with your iPhone, whether it's in your pocket, backpack\briefcase, on your desk, or at home.
[doublepost=1548005400][/doublepost]
call in insecure.
when I had a watch that I paid thousands of dollars for, and whenever I looked at it to admire its beauty (because they are beautiful and they are engineering marvels), I was always conscious of what other people would think of me. I felt superficial and pretentious.
But when I wear a AW, I look at it to use an app. I am not ogling at it the way I look at a mechanical watch.

Mechanical watches are indeed engineering marvels. I admire them because they are designed, manufactured, assembled, and adjusted\repaired by humans. And they do what they are designed for so well, considering they are powered 100% by human action, whether hard-winding or by our motion.

A modern mechanical is a pinnacle of human achievement for what it is: a time piece. Because each one can be unique from its brothers, based on the individual skill of who assembled and\or fine tuned it, each one can be a work of art, with its own unique character. Add to that that the people that assemble them are a dying breed of highly skilled craftsmen.

Buy I have recently come to recognize an AW is also an engineering marvel. Just that each piece itself not a work of art: the slightest variation is defect, not character.

it is designed by computers, manufactured and assembled almost entirely by machines. What human involvement there is does not include craftsmen. The AW could not have been designed, manufactured, or built without a lot of technology. And the whole idea is still in its infancy: the pinnacle is decades, or generations away, and will evolve into something that looks nothing like it does today.

So while I see both as engineering marvels, a mechanical watch is a triumph of human achievement; an AW is really not a watch at all, and will someday be a triumph of AI technological achievement.

dhershberger

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2018
Ohio
I may be a universe of one, but I don't view the AW as a watch at all. I use it as a fitness wearable. At the moment, I'm wearing a Rolex GMT Master II on my left wrist and an AW on my right wrist.

I considered something like this as I desire the Apple Watch as a fitness tracking device. I also have a GMT II and there is no way it's coming off my wrist for any kind of electronics.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
True, your iphone does all that an AW can do. And more.

Your iphone can do everything a mechanical watch can do: tell time, day, date, stop watch, timer, GMT, etc. It can do everything a multi-function quartz watch can do too: auto-sync time, compass, altitude, moon phase, tides, sunset\sunrise, multiple time zones, barometric pressure, etc.

So you really don't need a mechanical or quartz watch at all. Which explains why so many young folks don't wear watches at all. Many never have.

An AW is a tool that allows you to interact - at a glance, or with a silent tap on wrist, in many instances - with your iPhone, whether it's in your pocket, backpack\briefcase, on your desk, or at home.
[doublepost=1548005400][/doublepost]

Mechanical watches are indeed engineering marvels. I admire them because they are designed, manufactured, assembled, and adjusted\repaired by humans. And they do what they are designed for so well, considering they are powered 100% by human action, whether hard-winding or by our motion.

A modern mechanical is a pinnacle of human achievement for what it is: a time piece. Because each one can be unique from its brothers, based on the individual skill of who assembled and\or fine tuned it, each one can be a work of art, with its own unique character. Add to that that the people that assemble them are a dying breed of highly skilled craftsmen.

Buy I have recently come to recognize an AW is also an engineering marvel. Just that each piece itself not a work of art: the slightest variation is defect, not character.

it is designed by computers, manufactured and assembled almost entirely by machines. What human involvement there is does not include craftsmen. The AW could not have been designed, manufactured, or built without a lot of technology. And the whole idea is still in its infancy: the pinnacle is decades, or generations away, and will evolve into something that looks nothing like it does today.

So while I see both as engineering marvels, a mechanical watch is a triumph of human achievement; an AW is really not a watch at all, and will someday be a triumph of AI technological achievement.

iPhone is not a collectible device life of the iPhone few years and $ value go to zero

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
call in insecure.

I like mechanical watches.

But the thing is, in all truthfulness, what a nice watch truly does is remind you that you have enough disposable income to spend $5,000 on a superfluous device. Same goes for $7,500 Rolex Submariners, $500,000 watches etc. Probably the same goes for Porsche Panameras and the like as well.

I like this feeling - who doesn’t? But as you said in the end it might make you feel superficial.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I may be a universe of one, but I don't view the AW as a watch at all. I use it as a fitness wearable. At the moment, I'm wearing a Rolex GMT Master II on my left wrist and an AW on my right wrist.

I know the above post post was old, but I'm in the same boat. I'll wear my Rolex or Omega on the left plus AW on the right for fitness tracking (instead of my old Withings Pulse O2 tracker, or a Misfit).
[doublepost=1548035766][/doublepost]
I have a Rolex DateJust that I got for my 40th 8 years ago.

Since April 2015, I think it has been worn maybe 10 times max. I'm now on a AW3. This thread has made me get out my Rolex and set the time and date, wind it up etc.

It is a shame as the Rolex really is a thing of beauty, but all it does is tell the time :)

It also tells muggers that you might have money, even if said money is only on your wrist LOL.

Lots of people ignore my big Titanium Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph, thinking it's a cheap Invicta since I have an AW LTE on the other wrist at the same time (making them think I'm also a wanker). But when I wear my Rolex GMT II blue/noir or my green Submariner LV they take notice.

Reactions: newellj

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I know the above post post was old, but I'm in the same boat. I'll wear my Rolex or Omega on the left plus AW on the right for fitness tracking (instead of my old Withings Pulse O2 tracker, or a Misfit).
[doublepost=1548035766][/doublepost]

It also tells muggers that you might have money, even if said money is only on your wrist LOL.

Lots of people ignore my big Titanium Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph, thinking it's a cheap Invicta since I have an AW LTE on the other wrist at the same time (making them think I'm also a wanker). But when I wear my Rolex GMT II blue/noir or my green Submariner LV they take notice.

Of course they take notice! I would, too. If a pin breaks on the bracelet and Hulk or the Batman falls on their foot, you'll probably fracture several metatarsals!!! :eek: :D J/K. But seriously, personally I prefer the older, smaller cases. Batman is a stunner, though!

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Of course they take notice! I would, too. If a pin breaks on the bracelet and Hulk or the Batman falls on their foot, you'll probably fracture several metatarsals!!! :eek: :D J/K. But seriously, personally I prefer the older, smaller cases. Batman is a stunner, though!

I have "a guy" who is trying to get me a brand new ceramic Pepsi GMT II in trade for my Batman + $5K, and I'm wondering if that is a bad idea... The BLNR is nice in that it's a less loud, vs my Hulk that screams LOOK. My SubC No Date goes under the radar fairly often.

They are some of my favorites (amongst 3 Rolex and 15 Omega and dozens of others)

IMG_3573.jpeg

IMG_3661.jpeg

IMG_2497.jpeg

IMG_3410.jpeg

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Yes, exactly. Like your iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc.

Yes U R right except on the MBP after 4 years I got 50% but my AW 3 wi=fi + cell aluminum the best offer I got so far was $175
and for AW 3 SS wifi + cell can't get $450
[doublepost=1548084779][/doublepost]
I have "a guy" who is trying to get me a brand new ceramic Pepsi GMT II in trade for my Batman + $5K, and I'm wondering if that is a bad idea... The BLNR is nice in that it's a less loud, vs my Hulk that screams LOOK. My SubC No Date goes under the radar fairly often.

They are some of my favorites (amongst 3 Rolex and 15 Omega and dozens of others)

View attachment 816704

View attachment 816705

View attachment 816706

View attachment 816707

Nice
My Omega moon watch bought in 1971 for $300 gave it to my brother as a gift when I bought my Rolex today I am thinking to buy one and they can run between $3500 to $6500 but this watches is a real collectible instruments

nepatriot

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2018
Yes U R right except on the MBP after 4 years I got 50% but my AW 3 wi=fi + cell aluminum the best offer I got so far was $175

Yes, all disposable technology.

Makes sense on the MBP: laptops have matured, life cycle extended, and sales down. Not that long ago, most people bought laptops, and tablets were like AW's are today. Today, many young people do everything they need on their smart phone and tablet, and no longer buy laptops. Many corporation are extending laptop upgrade cycles, and shortening smart phones and tablets. My company too.

Logical that the newest thing is rapidly evolving in the shortest cycles, and will there for devalue the fastest.

Besides, Apple is gouging with the SS AW's on price: the glass on the ALU version should be at least as good if not better than their best iPhone. The sapphire and SS upgrade cost them at best and with mark up much more than $50 - $75 (w\out cellular). The market will correct that for them if they are so blinded by greed\desperation\arrogance to make an AW5 next fall that obsoletes the AW4, like the 4 did the 3. Fewer and fewer people will pay $800 or more for an AW that is disposed of annually, when there's a $400 option that is identical except in a few wafer thin decorations. Charge $100 more for SS\sapphire, and get AW's on the wrists of all the people, keeping their phones longer.

waynester

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
I love wearing my sub but can’t use it on a daily basis due to my work. But now I’ve found a way to have both on. Lol

Attachments

• 2D54723B-81C5-4826-AAE6-D1AC18C8D75E.jpeg
    2D54723B-81C5-4826-AAE6-D1AC18C8D75E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 298

TimJohn

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2018
Vancouver
Its fun to read the opinions of the mechanicals vs AW. For discussion purposes, I was quoted $1000 (Can$) for a service on my Rolex submariner and then promptly went out and bought my $640 AW4. The Rolex sits in my safety box and every time I wore it felt more like jewellery than a watch. So the AW get put on my wrist and the Rolex sits in my box.

But on the plus side, the Rolex has appreciated in value so I can get 3 - 4 times return on my investment. Can't say that about the AW4. Will keep the Rolex because I love the mechanicals!

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Its fun to read the opinions of the mechanicals vs AW. For discussion purposes, I was quoted $1000 (Can$) for a service on my Rolex submariner and then promptly went out and bought my $640 AW4. The Rolex sits in my safety box and every time I wore it felt more like jewellery than a watch. So the AW get put on my wrist and the Rolex sits in my box.

But on the plus side, the Rolex has appreciated in value so I can get 3 - 4 times return on my investment. Can't say that about the AW4. Will keep the Rolex because I love the mechanicals!

Just checked on the Apple site to buy a new AW 4 SS wifi+cell $902 include tax My 1 year old AW 3 SS wifi+cell Apple will give me $175 that really a Joke

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

Nice
My Omega moon watch bought in 1971 for $300 gave it to my brother as a gift when I bought my Rolex today I am thinking to buy one and they can run between $3500 to $6500 but this watches is a real collectible instruments

Yeah, your old watch appreciated from $300 to about $6000 over the years IF it's all original.

The black panda dial Moonwatch above is a Limited Edition "Speedy Tuesday" model from 2018. I also have a vintage 1976 Moonwatch with the older 861 movement, plus a 2005 version with sapphire caseback (modded with LE white panda dial), and a 2013 standard black dial Moonwatch.

My 1976 can go for over $3500-$4000 now, while a 1971 could be worth $3K more if it's identical to the last models that went to the moon (The 145.012 model or older). The 1976 model 145.022 is worth about the same price as a used 5 year old Moonwatch, despite the 40 year difference in age. And the Pre-moon and older models (or up to about 1971) are worth about the cost of a modern day brand new Limited Edition model.

Here's my three newest ones. I have all the original parts for the one on the left that I had modded, and a lot of spare parts like springs, hands, dials and bezels to keep mine going for a long time. They are jewelry now, so I need them to all look different for my mood :p

IMG_2701.jpeg

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Nice watches, but for me its not the money its the collection ( my 1971 moon watch that now own buy my brother that he is not a collector has a deferent bracelet then yours,)
[doublepost=1548169259][/doublepost]How do you add a picture?

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Nice watches, but for me its not the money its the collection ( my 1971 moon watch that now own buy my brother that he is not a collector has a deferent bracelet then yours,)
[doublepost=1548169259][/doublepost]How do you add a picture?

Yeah, my 1976 Moonwatch has a different bracelet, the original model 1171 with 633 end links is in the safe as it’s integral to keeping the value of the watch and I don’t want to wear it out. I keep my ‘76 on an Omega brown Barenia leather strap and still sometime wear the watch.

A92381CF-C6AF-4489-8424-D962D40F490E.jpeg

You can upload a photo simply by dragging it into you typing window. Then when it appears as a thumbnail below the typing window click inside the typing window on the spot you want it to appear, and choose “Thumbnail” or “Full Image” from the two buttons below.
[doublepost=1548180744][/doublepost]As it appeared 3-4 years ago on the original bracelet, just after a service and new crystal.

E43E74F0-9D91-404C-8FB8-5FEC44A5FED9.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.