Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I am the opposite. I have always had a Max phone. Since they first came out. Last year I decided to trade my 11 max for an 11. And this year I got a 12 pro. And I now feel it is the perfect size. Maybe I would like it to be 6.3 inches. Instead of 6.1. But overall I now feel the max is too big. And the 12 pro is the perfect size. Not too big or small.

I cannot wait for mine on Monday. :) I have always felt the 11 Pro Max was way too big.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Yeh I always thought the 11 Pro Max was big and heavy also, but I enjoyed the Battery Life because I travel a lot.

I know I'll be envious of my other half owning the Max when she gets hers, she opted to miss the 12 Pro and wait unlike me... but will the Camera improvements warrant being that envious of her? That's my dilemna, and we do take photos, not 'Pro Photographers' but we do like taking them when out.

If Apple had just done the same with the Pro's this year and made them the same without adding the upgrades just in the Max, there wouldn't be so much swaying :(

Decisions....decisions!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yeh I always thought the 11 Pro Max was big and heavy also, but I enjoyed the Battery Life because I travel a lot.

I know I'll be envious of my other half owning the Max when she gets hers, she opted to miss the 12 Pro and wait unlike me... but will the Camera improvements warrant being that envious of her? That's my dilemna, and we do take photos, not 'Pro Photographers' but we do like taking them when out.

If Apple had just done the same with the Pro's this year and made them the same without adding the upgrades just in the Max, there wouldn't be so much swaying :(

Decisions....decisions!

Yep, my wife is getting the 12 Pro Max. We've had the same phone since the 4s. Going to be interesting...

We both take a lot of photos as well.

That said, I'm very confident that going smaller this year is what I've always wanted. As far as travel - even with my 11 Pro Max, I took an Anker Battery pack with me in my backpack (just in case).

Again, if I didn't have other devices, I think I'd stick with the Pro Max.

Reactions: leebroath

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2017
Main factor for me is battery life. Yes I’d miss the bigger screen size, but based on recent tests the 12 Pro has 2 hours less battery than the 11 Pro Max. And those were in heavy usage tests where the phone was basically being abused, I imagine the difference is wider with normal use.

I am also in the same spot, I had the 11 PM since day one and loved the screen size and bigger battery, but sometimes the size and weight was a bit annoying. So I decided to give 12 Pro a try and received it yesterday.

I can already tell you that the battery life of 12 Pro is a bit disappointing, and I am going to preorder 12 PM and give it a try, too, and then decide which one to keep.

Reactions: QueenTyrone

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I've been using a Samsung Note 8 for the last three years. It has a 6.3" screen and weighs in at 195 grams. I am planning on getting the 12 Pro Max when it comes out. I'm already using a phone that many would consider to be on the heavy side. Might as well add a bit of weight to get the screen bum. My older eyes always appreciate more screen real estate and I do not want to go smaller after using a 6.3" screen for three years. It was a toss-up between the Note 20 Ultra and the 12 Pro Max. This will be my first iPhone, though I've been using iPads since the OG and MacBooks since 2012.

The Note 20 Ultra has a 6.9" screen and weighs 204 grams
The 12 Pro Max has a 6.7" screen and weight 228 grams.

The only thing that tempts me to go with the Note 20 Ultra is the added screen real estate. Android is a whole different beast. I've used it since the HTC Evo. When it's behaving, it works well. It so seldom behaves though.

Reactions: carbphrek

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I took a few pics.. Of course nothing beats in hand experience..
7e10086ba8c4b483797dc78c338a0047.jpg
934e91f4b91ef38bd1b67e44cdb48fe4.jpg
bd0b6a08ec517ef3ed6c99cac5e43cb8.jpg
c115273c7f94e33e257e21d93e5972ee.jpg
e813c900c4f8a4668ca2040c52db2695.jpg
461f11b33a472cf845c439f4a8856225.jpg

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
To me the max phones are way too big and way too pointless when I have an iPad Pro that goes with me most places however OP knew the max was coming. It’s onky a few weeks away. if you prefer and are used to the larger screen the regular pro was never going to satisfy you.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Just picked up my iPhone 12 Pro. I absolutely love it. Obviously, I'm still in the initial reaction phase but I love the screen size, the weight, and the feel of the phone in the hand. This is a perfect sized phone for me.

Granted, I have an iPad and MacBook so ... that may be why I've been wanting a smaller phone for awhile.

Love this phone. Perfect size.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've got a more modern "regular size" iPhone and an older Plus iPhone and both work fine. I never use the smaller iPhone even though its much faster, has a better camera and has more ram. Don't like looking at the little screen.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
I had the Plus sized phones from the 6 to the 7. When the X came out I got the X as the only size they had. I would have gone Max then. But after the X I felt like trying the XS, and then the 11 Pro... So I am sticking with the smaller size. I don't really care that there's less text on the screen. It's just barely too big for my hands, and I will never forget dropping and shattering the screen on my 6Plus, the first day I had it. The Max is beyond acceptable size.

The only reason I would chose Max, in the future, is if the camera was so compelling I needed that instead of the pro. If they came out with a periscope lens on the Max only, likely I would go for the Max, just saying.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Thanks. I was just asking because the person you responded to was comparing his 12 pro to XS Max, and I’m thinking his XS Max wouldn’t have as much showing on screen as a 12 pro max so not as much difference.

If there’s something in that article showing those two in comparison, I’m clearly clueless because I don’t see it. (not that that’s not a real possibility - I’m often clueless). ;-p
You can compare different phones sizes, weight etc. HERE.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Regrets or no regrets, not giving apple another penny until they get their act together, sold my xs max upgrading to a iPhone 12, no pro max this year, I’ll be keeping the 12 next year as well unless apple gives us a bigger battery, 120hz, LPTO display, smaller notch and a efficient 5G modem.

Blue iPhone 12 should be arriving tomorrow ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.