Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fewture

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Now that the aluminum macbooks are the thing (and with that nice 9400m), who still loves their blackbook?

I do. Penryn 2.4, 4gb ram, soon to be 500gb 7200rpm, this thing is the best computer i have ever had (and I use to mod hardcore pcs back in the day)
Can't wait until for some affordable large sized SSD's

I love my blackbook!!

I have to admit that I do eye off the new alum mbs and mbp's. But then I come home to my blackbook and its still kicking ass!

(Oh yeah, I loved seeing the blackbook in Twilight)

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Yes theres nothing wrong with the blackbook. The build quality is much better on the new alu macbooks but the blackbook is a great looking machine still. I actually prefer the colouring on the plastic macbooks. Its been a few months and im not sure the black screen and silver alu base has grown on me that much. I think the best bet would be if apple released an all black alu version. That would look much better IMO :) I think the air is the best looking apple laptop at the moment.

VladM

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Now that the aluminum macbooks are the thing (and with that nice 9400m), who still loves their blackbook?

I do. Penryn 2.4, 4gb ram, soon to be 500gb 7200rpm, this thing is the best computer i have ever had (and I use to mod hardcore pcs back in the day)

I love my blackbook!!

I have to admit that I do eye off the new alum mbs and mbp's. But then I come home to my blackbook and its still kicking ass!

Do you feel better now, or do you still want a unibody MB? :p

macnvrbck

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2005
I do, I do! I love my Blackbok still! Faster processor speed than the new Macbooks and Firewire!... oh well for no graphics processor!

I'll tell you where these things are going to continue to do well... RESALE!

Like my 12 inch Powerbook before it... which resold AMAZINGLY WELL... the Blackbook will continue to resell very well. There were only so many Blackbooks made and they are unmistakable! People will continue to pay a premium for the black matte finish. There isn't and has never been a Mac with this type of finish on it. It's simply perfect!

A quick wipe of a magic eraser and the finish on these puppies is beautiful. Solid machine!

iJimmy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I've been debating on selling my 2.2 blackbook for the new alu 2.4 MB but stopped myself because I probably will never sell my blackbook.
In fact, I love it so much I plan on getting an intel ssd in the near future. I just upgraded to a hitachi 7200rpm last month.

vendettabass

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I *really* miss my blackbook :-(

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

I love my blackbook!!

I have the same one, and it's not going anywhere for a very long time. Oh- and now that they have 4 gig RAM chips, I've heard that these will recognize 6 gigs of RAM.

Spares

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
call me a noob but what does the Penryn part mean when you say Penryn 2.4 ghz

my Blackbook specs are 2.4 ghz 4 gb RAM 250 gb harddrive :apple::apple:

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I still miss my 12" PB that was sold to buy my black MB. I have to say its definitely a bigger laptop and the only thing I don't like about the black MB is all the smudges that is gets from fingerprints.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have the same one, and it's not going anywhere for a very long time. Oh- and now that they have 4 gig RAM chips, I've heard that these will recognize 6 gigs of RAM.

ah lucky, mines forever limited to 2 gigs.

have no plans to replace it in the next couple years

i finally realized playing the most powerful computer game is a waste of money for little to show

ill stick it out with my cd blackbook and hackintosh for the next 5 or so years probably

lets see if i can have my mb last 8 years:)

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
love my 2.4 ghz blackbook, bought refurb. especially now that apple replaced my samsung with an lg screen.

i still have a 12" powerbook g4, was supposed to sell it months ago, but i'm too attached to it. it's a solid machine.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
They should have kept making the black ones, why did they just keep white? , I guess to tie the product line in with the Mini -both the so called 'low end'

stuff the alu's :p polycarb Macs all the way :D

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
ah lucky, mines forever limited to 2 gigs.

have no plans to replace it in the next couple years

i finally realized playing the most powerful computer game is a waste of money for little to show

ill stick it out with my cd blackbook and hackintosh for the next 5 or so years probably

lets see if i can have my mb last 8 years:)

Ah- you got one of the rev A's. Obviously it's been a good one!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
call me a noob but what does the Penryn part mean when you say Penryn 2.4 ghz

my Blackbook specs are 2.4 ghz 4 gb RAM 250 gb harddrive :apple::apple:

Penryn refers to the model of Core2Duo CPU used in the computer. The first Macbooks to come equipped with C2D chips ran the Memron chips, then in early 2008 switched to the Penryn chips. If you're Macbook's CPU speed is 1.83/2.0(from 2006 or 2007)/2.16/2.2ghz, you have a Memron CPU. If it's 2.1/2.0(nVidia chipset)/2.4 ghz, it's a Penryn chip.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I still love my BlackBook Santa Rosa 2.2 GHz with $ gigs of RAM and a 320 gig Hard Drive.

I will get a newer one (maybe) later this year. I look forward to having a better video card.

Overall, this machine has been great to me for my first Mac since having an Apple IIc as a kid.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I have the new unibody MB's and still occasionally miss my old blackbook. I miss it's super loud fan whenever I went on Youtube. I miss wiping it down every day because it would be FILLED with fingerprints. I miss it's relatively low build quality when compared to the new machines.

Ok, well not really :D But it sure was sexy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.