Who will not be upgrading to the new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JosephBergdoll, May 15, 2010.

1. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

I don't plan on it, I don't ever see myself using a front facing camera (I have my MBP if I want to video chat) and the performance upgrades don't really justify the price of another upgrade. It looks cheap and clunky too...

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Depends on what kind of battery life it has for one thing. So, I’m not sure yet.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Depends on which carriers can use it. If it's still an AT&T exclusive, I won't be buying it.

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Can't make a decision until I see a final product iphone. Right now I'm 50/50..

5. rkswat macrumors regular

Wow... cheap and clunky huh. I laugh at that statement. To each his own I say but you think a phone with a shiny plastic back looks better than aluminum and glass? Yeah, why have the refinements of a BMW when you can buy a used pinto. :rolleyes:

6. na1577 macrumors 6502a

No, because I won't be eligible for an upgrade until iPhone 5.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I won't make a decision until I see a final product.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If we have no strong indication that it'll be on Verizon soon, I will. Gotta upgrade this 3G.

But if we have something more solid than the current rumors (like an announcement from SJ) then I'll wait.

9. lovemyipad macrumors member

After seeing the leaked images and reading the new specs of the iPhone 4G, I will not be upgrading. To me it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. People have been multitasking for YEARS now on their iPhones with no problems. Why buy a new device and pay all that $.

Front facing camera? Not sure if that's going to be a winner.

Sure we complained about it and Apple listened, but now that I think about it do I really want my friends looking at me everytime we talk? No.

Unless the new gaming thing turns out to be as popular AND as fun as Xbox Live, there is no chance I'll be upgrading.

I honestly think, people get caught up too much into the Apple hype of new products and often times rush out to go get the new latest and greatest without asking themselves if they need it or if it is worth it.

10. cowsrus macrumors 6502

i like how people are saying that theres no sense in an upgrade for better performance

forgetting there will be
    front facing camera
    better back camera
    flash
    better battery life
    possibly exclusive multifunctioning volume buttons
    higher resolution
    and more

and these same people may own a 3gs, because upgrading from a 3g to a 3gs makes more sense than a 3gs to this..

11. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

I hate to be the bearer if the obvious but...
    Those who will be upgrading are those such as myself that have the 3G and are due for an upgrade.
    It is just like a year ago when all those 2G owners got to upgrade to the 3GS because their contract was up.
    I hate AT&T as much as the next, having left Verizon after 7 years to get the iPhone, but they were offered it first so...oops shoulda just paid out some.

12. JosephBergdoll thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have a 3GS and this just doesn't seem like that sensible of an upgrade. Battery life is fine and I'm multitasking already with a JB'd phone... not like I really care about the new A4 processor or anything.

13. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I'm not going to but I'm hoping to get one for my wife.

That will be some upgrade from this:
    [​IMG]

(at least that way I get to play with it too.) ;)

14. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

the iPhone will only get better...I dont see why not to get it

sell my 3GS on ebay for $400+ buy the iPhpne 4G for $199(hopefully) seems like a no brainer

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Personally I am soooooo glad that I didn't upgrade to the 3GS as it would have made me ineligible for an upgrade now.

16. JosephBergdoll thread starter macrumors 6502

Not all of us can get the 4G for $199 or $299. I won't be eligible for the upgrade, paying out the ass to get something that isn't all that exciting seems like a perfectly good reason not to get it.

17. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Right now I'm telling myself no...I won't be upgrading. In all honesty since I got my 3G iPad the only thing I have used my 3G for is phone calls, texting and looking at maps once on a long bike ride. I can do the phone calling and the texting with a dumb-phone w/o a $30/month data plan and bump the data plan up from the 250 mb to the unlimited on my iPad....and probably be better off.

That's what I'm telling myself.....when actual photos and specs are made available....that will probably all go out the window and I will pre-order on day one. :cool:

Steve

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If att is going to charge me full price then I'll not be upgrading. More likely I'll jump over on the verizon network at that point

19. rkswat macrumors regular

Why don't you keep you iPhone and jb for mywi so you can tether your iPad, just a thougt.

20. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Ditto on this. I still have a 3G, which, frankly, is more than sufficient for my needs and use. Will I upgrade when the new phone becomes available? Probably, but not right away. May wait until fall just to see if any initial issues are worked out. :)

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I plan on buying the new model upon it's release. My work involves a lot of travel, so I use my iPhone as a smartphone is designed to be used, for web access. Especially when I don't feel like dragging out my laptop while waiting at the airport. The new form factor will make holding it so much easier and far less slippery. I dislike covering my phone with a case or silicone skin while in use. The flat sides, and flat back of the iPhone 4 will be highly welcomed by me.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Why wouldn't I for a couple hundred bucks especially when I can sell my old phone and probably break even. The 4G is bound to have better battery life, if only b/c it has a bigger battery. That alone makes the upgrade worthwhile. Better graphics is bonus, plus any features that have yet been unannounced, you know the s/w features that will be exclusive to the 4G.

Given that scenario you would only be midway in your contract -- you can get a discounted iPhone at 18mos if you spend under $99/mo or 12mos if you spend $99+. You'd pay a nice penalty for breaking to Verizon. Not sure I understand your logic for leaving early just b/c your acct is not in the upgrade time window.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Even with the ETF, I come out ahead with verizon. I already ran the numbers, calling ATT and seeing what my ETF is now. Waiting till June/July will decrease the ETF a small amount further.

My point is that if ATT wants to keep customers especially in light of the increased competition, they need to consider pricing and customer retention when the new iPhone hits the streets. The iPhone isn't the only game in town any more.

24. vailmc macrumors newbie

vailmc

+1

25. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

If it had a nice big 4.3-4.5 inch screen like the HD2 or the Evo 4G (neither of which are actually much larger than the iPhone because they don't waste space above and below the screen), yes, I absolutely would have.

But with a 3.5 inch screen, I'm passing.