Who's disappointed with iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Funkymonk, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Wanted the look of it to change somehow. Tired of looking at the same old same old. Also was hoping for a better YouTube app, the current one is embarrassing compared to the YouTube on android.

Happy that the cord is finally cut though.

2. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I suggest you switch to android then?!? IOS 5 looks awesome!

3. bobright macrumors 601

I'm not it was a pretty nice didnt expect everything to be revamped though.

Im loving in particular the multi-tabs in Safari, multi gestures, and wireless syncing. Also the redesigned music app should be nice.

4. Carouser macrumors 65816

5. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

I'm quite interested in the "Mirror iPad 2 to television wirelessly" bit of news. Does that mean stream the whole interface including apps?

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

GTFOH!!!

LOVIN IT!!.

My opinion, Apple kicked a88 today

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Really loving the wireless stuff(backup and OTA updates being the best).

8. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Some neat stuff but mostly things that really shouldve been in iOS 4. iMessage was pretty obvious thing to include, the better notification system etc. Probably didn't get these features in iOS 4 because of the iPhone 3G.

Didn't come through on some things I wanted like a basic filesystem (guess ill keep using Dropbox), improved and different UI on the iPad, adding a bit more to the lock screen and perhaps more multitasking features.

I wasn't overly disappointed though, some neat new stuff to play with. Im sorta happy that iOS5 is on the 3GS but they'll probably launch it with a new iPhone (and im available to upgrade next month haha).

9. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Definitely some much needed improvements.

I was looking forward to a Maps and general UI overhaul, but I guess that'll have to wait.

I know the icon changed, but do we know anything about it?

10. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Same here. Most the other stuff . . . eh.

11. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

iOS 5 looks like iOS 4.3.3. Awesome if you like a dated inefficient UI.

I'll give them credit for the iCloud and notifications work though.

12. bobright macrumors 601

I made a thread asking more about it screenshots etc but havent seen anything

I just pointed out it should be nice as it already is like I said coming from the iPhone over to the iPad I expected it to be nearly identical but its not, on the iPad it almost feels like you are running iTunes so hopefully its even better. :)

13. singlestick macrumors regular

No problems with the presentation, only that I wished that it was released sooner than "the fall."

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's all excellent, but I will admit, I had hoped the UI may get a facelift.

But when I saw OSX Lion, I saw they were actually putting the IOS UI onto iMacs also, so it kind of told me it's not changing.

15. Syk macrumors 6502a

I like the new features. I wish the UI got an over haul but it seems like they added a lot of features from the jailbreak scene.

16. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, Steve pretty much said straight out what's been obvious for years - apple is trying to kill the traditional filesystem, and is even moving OSX further away from it in Lion. Luckily, I'm sure that X's unix underpinnings will ensure that it's still accessible to those who want it for a good long time, but I don't think it will ever, ever be a feature of iOS.

17. iThinman macrumors regular

I use my iPad all day, including at work, and saw very little that excited me or will change my daily usage.

Oh, except my words with friends notifications won't pop up over a presentation I'm giving (I think).

Overall...meh

18. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Mixed bag. Notifications are nice, but I wish they put calendar entries into the lockscreen and/or the pull down screen. The messaging stuff and email stuff I can live without, but I understand why they are a big deal.

The biggest disappointment was the lack of updates for the ipad in particular. I love the splitting keyboard, but other than that didn't see much to differentiate the ipad from being a big iphone.

I do however really dig the OTA syncing, I also was convinced I would have no use for icloud but was pleasantly surprised that it was such a nice feature and free to boot. I think this wwdc was all about icloud and the other stuff was just gravy. iOS still has a lot of catching up to do, but at least some of the bullet points were addressed.

19. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

This interest me the most. I don't see how they could do that, given for example HBO GO is not able to output to a TV. So given that train of thought, I don't see being able to mirror the entire screen (all apps included) working.

20. xelaetaks, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  21. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

You see that worries me (i know its paranoia) that Apple is trying too hard to hide the computer from the user. Sure it makes it all pretty and magical but thats just it. Newer generations shouldn't be growing up thinking computers are magical, they should know at least about the filesystem structure and I even think every person should have a basic knowledge of a programming language. I feel like hiding the computer from people is making them less computer literate. A majority of my friends and family don't know even HTML or how the internet works and thats a scary thought to me. Computers shouldn't be "magic".

22. Carouser macrumors 65816

Why? There are dozens if not hundreds of things people use every day and use them without incident. Are people supposed to understand them all? Maybe we should all learn plain binary if we're going to 'stop hiding the computer from the user'.

23. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Actually yes, I think people should have a rutamentary knowledge of how everything they use works be it even that combustion occurs in the engine and drives pistons or that electric currents are being manipulated by transistors in cpus.

24. Carouser macrumors 65816

I have no idea why, and it's unrealistic anyway, but good for you!

25. Ava's Meeshee macrumors member

Libertarian engineer. Aspirant proletariat background. Crippling class insecurity.