Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
My iPhone 8 has been great but I’m totally bored of the design. I’ve had the 6, 6S, and now the 8. If Apple just updates the 8 I'll more likely move to a larger device like the 11 pro. I’d love an SE sized phone but Kuo prediction sounds more like an updated 8 to me. The 5.4 rumor sounds enticing if true so that may be something in my future as well. I’ve declined to upgrade so far due to size, notch, and price. It will be interesting to see what they come out with.
if I were you I’d move on and go with 11 (non pro). Your mind will be blown lol. The new phones are great Face ID is awesome and the screen omg. of course the camera (drool). The screen real estate and the stereo speakers!

Reactions: Ladybug

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I’d be interested in a true successor to the iPhone SE, which retains the small form factor Apple declared they understood was important to some people when they introduced it.

I don’t think I’d really be very interested in a reconfigured iPhone 8, or else I would have bought an iPhone 8 (or later model) already.

I still think the rumoured product is irritating for using the term ‘iPhone SE 2’. It sounds like ‘iPhone 8v2’ would be a more accurate description of what has been described, and I really hope Apple don’t use the SE name for it.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
Whether it’s $300 or $1000, I don’t care. I’ll pay a huge premium for a smaller phone with upgraded internals.

Yes, it sucks that this phone will be bigger than a true SE2 so many of us were hoping for. But in this day of iPad-sized smartphones, it will likely be the next best thing - the smallest and lightest modern phone around.

It's only a refreshed iPhone 8. But the 8 was on my shortlist; it was between the 8 and the SE. IF there is no 5.4-inch Pro next September which is said to be between the 8 and the 2016 SE in size, I may buy this one. There may also be a discount from the SE2's launch price on a carrier plan by September/October 2020. But I will take whichever is more compact.

I have also thought about going back to my SE after my iPhone XS lease plan runs out next October and biding my time. I'm looking for ways to cut my costs as I'm buying a house, but my phone is so useful for so many different and important things, all the time. I also get the feeling that as high-tech as the current phones are, there is still a way to go in development and they too will be refined. The 2018 and 2019 iPhones are heavier and thicker than they could be for their size. The early iPhones didn't stand still in their design, we are not stuck with it.

But at the same time a larger screen is beneficial as I have found with my XS. So this middle path may be the right one. I will decide next September if that other 5.4" iPhone materialises.

But I'm sticking with iPhone after all I've learned and experienced (and after 6 Androids and 3 Nokias before that), and the iPhone SE was instrumental in that choice.

Last edited:

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
The SE2 will be perfect for countries like India and other price sensitive folks. The Subaru crowd says they love the SE for the SIZE, but it’s really the PRICE they like more.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The SE2 will be perfect for countries like India and other price sensitive folks. The Subaru crowd says they love the SE for the SIZE, but it’s really the PRICE they like more.

I’d agree to an extent, but the $400 price point for the original SE still was proven to be too expensive for countries like India. [The average phone there is an android phone that probably cost around $200.] So I doubt this iPhone SE two will come anywhere near the original price point of the 2016 SE. but yes, aside from the overall physical dimensions on this phone, the price point is equally as important for emerging markets.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Agreed. What some people don't understand is, the price of iPhone SE is what sold millions in emerging markets. The iPhone SE was regularly discounted to $200-249 through 2017-2019. Nobody in emerging markets paid MSRP. Apple has no retail presence in India and relied on resellers like Amazon.in and Flipkart. As a result, the price was highly elastic. Apple knew they were going for price when they designed iPhone SE.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Whilst nothing has been confirmed, rumour of an iPhone SE2 is said to be coming in early 2020.

If apple releases an SE2, would you buy it? What would it need to have/be for you to get it?
Yes, my wife swears for her SE. She's dreading the day it stops working. One hand typing is crucial to her. And for a big screen she has her iPad Pro, she doesn't need it on her phone.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Looking at 11 Pro and 11 I'm happy to see some progress but I hate the direction. Things used to get smaller,thinner and lighter. Now, we get bigger, thicker and heavier. WTH happened?
I'm on iPhone 6 but I can't really justify and upgrade. Simply put, the prices, size, FaceID and weight is massive deter factor. If Apple designs true successor to SE which will have home button, light, updated specs etc. then I'm all over it.
Fed up with prices these days. The flagship phone now costs pretty much double to when I got my 6. And yet, there really isn't double benefit.
As such, I won't support them with my money.
SE2 on the other hand could win me over. All I need is camera on par with 11 or 11 Pro (don't need the double/triple setup), latest A chip, decent ram and amazing price. Of course light and one hand use friendly is a must. 11 and 11 Pro are huge af.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It can be both you know...?

Personally the price of the SE was just a bonus to me, it was the size that was the most important thing.

Absolutely it has to be both, consumers aren’t choosing one or the other, they’re given the option of accepting the size _and_ the price of the 5.4 iPhone. Anyone that’s going to buy this purported iPhone 8 in 2020 will obviously accept the size of the phone, but the price will probably be more of an attractive offering if Apple keeps it on the affordable segment. I’m Curious at launch, which countries they’ll expand into aside from the northern market and China.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I don’t see an iPhone se2 coming. The rumors point to an iPhone 8s instead. That should appeal a bit to the iPhone 6-8 owners.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Glad to hear that the SE2 is looking probable! It should be a huge seller.

My wife will almost certainly be getting one to replace her existing SE, although she is grumbling about the larger size ;>)

I'm currently using an 8 which I really like and will be 2 years old when the SE2 comes out. I might go with the SE2 or might wait and see what comes out the next year.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Glad to hear that the SE2 is looking probable!
The iPhone SE is dead. It was an anomaly, a one time thing. The 4" screen size is dead.

An iPhone SE 2 is never going to happen. But what most likely will according to rumours is a refreshed iPhone 8 sporting the same 4.7" screen.

Reactions: EM2013

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
NO WAY!!!
The old 8 design is truly horrific now. It looks so dated, like something from 2012.
I was using a friend's 8 Plus last night at the gym and it truly horrible - big, obese and dated. But then, it hated the 6, 6S, 7 and 8 design and skipped them all. They were lazy designs with no merits. The X and of course other brands dated them over night.
An 8 style design in 2020 would be insanely bad and comical only highlighting Apple's greed. IMO it would not be a good user experience especially when the XR wouldn't cost that much more to buy / contract over two years.

Personally, I'm saving for the 5.4 Pro with ProMotion display.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Wife might - but depends on the size. If SE was simply the old chassis of the 5 but with modern CPU/RAM, then the SE2 could be iphone 8 chassis with A12/13 and 3GB ram. In that case it'd be too big for her.

Eventually she'll have to deal with something because there isn't a real 'small' offering anymore, but she'll hold out with her SE as long as possible if that is the situation

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Has to be smaller than the iPhone 6/7/8 in order for me to consider it. If it were roughly the size of the existing SE (could grow a little bit, but not much) with a full screen, flagship internals and wireless charging, I'd be all in on launch day and would spend $1k on it.

Reactions: dmi

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I might be interested in it (coming from an 8 plus) as an alternative to the 5.4" 2020 iPhone. 4.7" will probably feel a bit small being used to the bigger size, but that's going to be the usable 16:9 area of the 5.4" anyway. With it being cheaper I'd then feel better about moving on after ~12-18 months if the under screen Touch ID is held back to 2021, too. The hinging factor will be battery life, I expect it to be fractionally better than the 8, due to removal of 3D touch allowing a marginally larger battery, and the more power efficient A13, if it can significantly close the gap on the 8 plus it will be a compelling option.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I'll probably get it to upgrade my 8, since it will be the smallest phone Apple sells at a reasonable price. The 5.4" Pro could be nice if it didn't cost a grand, if they made a small version of the non-pro in like 5.1" I'd be interested.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
But then I could well say to myself, enough of this spending and spending on new phones when my SE is "enough" and I have several big, high-quality screens nearby all the time. A big phone suits those people who are sitting on public transport all the time and/or it's all they have and/or they really need a bigger keyboard. But that's not me. If my SE were to die, then I would get this SE2 or the 5.4 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.