Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
With the way it’s looking, I’ll probably be riding my SE until it dies or is no longer a great experience (which it still definitely is!) and then getting a preowned “whatever is the smallest” at that time.

A rehashed iPhone 8 is a garbage entry from Apple (if that’s what they do here). I have less than zero interest in such a product and the “SE” name belongs nowhere near a spec bumped iPhone 8 chassis.

semihat

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2016
I will pre-order and buy it day 1. I have an iPhone 7 today and I checked out the new phones for this year. I realized that I don't need a $1,000 augmented reality device, and I don't want a phone that is 50% heavier. I just need an updated version of the phone I have now to take photos, play podcasts, take calls/texts, and light gaming. I was excited to see the rumors that dropped today and I can't wait!

Spike77777

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2019
Utah
I will pre-order and buy it day 1. I have an iPhone 7 today and I checked out the new phones for this year. I realized that I don't need a $1,000 augmented reality device, and I don't want a phone that is 50% heavier. I just need an updated version of the phone I have now to take photos, play podcasts, take calls/texts, and light gaming. I was excited to see the rumors that dropped today and I can't wait!
What rumors came out today? Hoping it's that they plan to keep the same or slightly large size smaller than the 8.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I really wonder if they’re going to call it the SE2, which would strongly imply that it’s the successor to the SE. But the only thing it has in common with the SE is the price. If that’s all that is needed to be a successor, they could make a super cheap iPhone Max and call it an SE2.

Clearly, one of the main identifying characteristics of the SE was its size, as was talked about at its introduction. That’s really its only identifying physical characteristic.

Someone might say, “Well, iphone 8 is now the smallest iphone available so that’s how it’s the same.” Ok, but as a consumer, why do I care about its relative size? How does relative size help me at all? All that matters is objective size. The only ones who care about relative size is a company’s marketing team.

Obviously Apple can call it what they want, but to call another random iphone the SE successor just because they lowered the price will make me think that Apple thinks I don’t have a brain.

Right now I have an SE and a backup SE. (By the way, the fact that I bought two SEs should be proof that the SE is about size for me, not price.) I’m deep in the Apple ecosystem, so if Apple doesn’t make an updated true small phone by the time these SEs expire, then I’ll have a hard decision to make, and I honestly don’t know what that will be.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I really wonder if they’re going to call it the SE2, which would strongly imply that it’s the successor to the SE. But the only thing it has in common with the SE is the price. If that’s all that is needed to be a successor, they could make a super cheap iPhone Max and call it an SE2.

Clearly, one of the main identifying characteristics of the SE was its size, as was talked about at its introduction. That’s really its only identifying physical characteristic.

Someone might say, “Well, iphone 8 is now the smallest iphone available so that’s how it’s the same.” Ok, but as a consumer, why do I care about its relative size? How does relative size help me at all? All that matters is objective size. The only ones who care about relative size is a company’s marketing team.

Obviously Apple can call it what they want, but to call another random iphone the SE successor just because they lowered the price will make me think that Apple thinks I don’t have a brain.

Right now I have an SE and a backup SE. (By the way, the fact that I bought two SEs should be proof that the SE is about size for me, not price.) I’m deep in the Apple ecosystem, so if Apple doesn’t make an updated true small phone by the time these SEs expire, then I’ll have a hard decision to make, and I honestly don’t know what that will be.

To your first point in your post, I don’t believe they’re going to label this the iPhone SE 2. There was only one true SE, and this next iPhone is not really reflective of that in some aspects. Apple may simply just call it the iPhone XYZ without some fancy moniker attached to it like ‘Pro Max’. Either way, I do think they need to isolate this specific keynote (As they did in March 2016) and release it away from their flag ship phones in September.

If they want this phone to be acknowledged in the midst of all the more expensive iPhones, hopefully they separate this phone with its own spring event alongside other products/services.

Reactions: subjonas

alp00

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
I have a iphone SE and was already thinking about upgrading to the iphone 8 , so I might hang on and wait for more details to emerge.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Doesn't SE stand for "special edition"? So why couldn't they call the new 8 the "8SE"? This way people know it's the updated 8 and where it slots in the ranking of models.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
In 2017, I made the jump from an iOS 6 iPhone 5 to an iOS 9 iPhone SE. I'm still running iOS 9 because having used the later iOS versions on other devices, I just can't stand it. I feel like the jump from 6 to 9 was tough, but manageable, I still feel iOS 6 is the best. The biggest let down was the Music app and it has only gotten worse since iOS 9, so, will I upgrade? I don't know. Not sure about the 4.7" screen. I can't believe I am saying this, but I may consider android for the first time.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
I'll buy it. I upgraded last year from the iPhone 7 to the XR, and the only reason I stayed with the XR is because I had already promised my wife my iPhone 7. I do love the battery but it hasn't been the most comfortable phone to use. I gave it a solid year and it's just not for me. I have considered the 11 Pro, but I'm going to hold off on an upgrade until the SE2, or whatever it'll be called. I also don't care about the camera much. The XR has a great camera, but I really don't like the look of the 2 and 3 camera systems, nor do I need it.

Reactions: arfbsantoso

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
I'll buy it. I upgraded last year from the iPhone 7 to the XR, and the only reason I stayed with the XR is because I had already promised my wife my iPhone 7. I do love the battery but it hasn't been the most comfortable phone to use. I gave it a solid year and it's just not for me. I have considered the 11 Pro, but I'm going to hold off on an upgrade until the SE2, or whatever it'll be called. I also don't care about the camera much. The XR has a great camera, but I really don't like the look of the 2 and 3 camera systems, nor do I need it.
Me, staying with my 8 non plus.
And waiting for SE2.

Reactions: praterkeith

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I have a iphone SE and was already thinking about upgrading to the iphone 8 , so I might hang on and wait for more details to emerge.
Wait until March..now an iphone 8 is 450$,the upcoming 8se or whatever will be even cheaper but with a better cpu gpu ram and camera

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
All they need to do for this to sell like hot cakes is to offer it in a selection of bright colours Xʀ-style.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
It has to beat my 6s for convenience. Price, size and capacity. I pulled out my 5 recently, and that was so easy to slip in a pocket.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
If they were actually making an "SE2" I'd be interested.

It sounds like they are making a spec bumped iPhone 8 though, and I have zero interest in that size/form factor.

Reactions: dmi

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
If I could buy a new SE(1) 128GB in the UK these last couple of weeks I would, never mind SE2.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I’ll be seriously split between an SE2 if it is the size of a 4.7” screen, and the iPhone 12 if it has an OLED but they both need to have a Qualcomm model in them!
It’ll be a tough choice.

Edit:
I have to say it will be a tough choice as when I browse the web on my 6S it feels small and cramped compared to my XR. I then remind myself why I got the XR in the first place, better for my eyes. But I will still consider to buy one.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

As long as your iPhone SE is in operable condition, I would just wait. It sounds like somewhere between March and April we could see this phone surface at some point. I’m guessing Apple will have a separate iPhone launch away from their ‘flag ship’ phones in September. I honestly think that would be the most tactical move to do, because that way it draws attention to itself versus getting mixed in with all the more ‘expensive’ iPhones in September.

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
Heard about the SE2. If it'll actually release it'd be more appropriate to call it the 'iPhone 8s' or 'iPhone Classic' as it'll look nearly identical to the 8 and could very well be Apple's very last iPhone with the classic or iconic bezeled w/ home button design. Many people dislike this classic design and find it to be dated. But not me. I like the home button and bezels quite a bit! The latter makes my phone easier to hold and if white it even hides fingerprints and scratches!

The 8 form factor isn't as small as the SE but it's not huge either. Single-handed usage is fairly easy especially with the reachability feature. The A13 chip and alleged 3GB of RAM would certainly be a significant upgrade from the 6s and 6 so I'd say it'll be totally worth it for individuals currently rocking those phones!

As for me I'll pass on this SE2/8s/Classic phone. Purchased an 8+ shortly after Apple's September 10th event due to the hefty price drop. Incredibly good phone and with reachability and a popsocket I can even use this device single-handed for short periods of time!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.