Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Actually thinking about it I hate the size of the XR when scrolling through YouTube video comments and the fast hertz touch sensitivity as it invariably swipes over to another video when scrolling, and in Apple style it’s difficult to get it to scroll back again. My 6S never has or had this issue.
I am very much looking forward to a new SE.
I think a 5.4” iPhone Pro would be great if based on the iPhone 4 design, but it will in no way be worth the £1050 asking price of the current model and that’s assuming Apple don’t increase the price further!
And SE2 with 128GB storage will be interesting.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I want new nonoled, nonfaceid iphone. Gove it touch id, good lcd, new cpu/gpu, more ram (3gb at least) and new camera (main ip11 cam?) and it is gonna be my new daily driver...

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
NO WAY!!!
The old 8 design is truly horrific now. It looks so dated, like something from 2012.
I was using a friend's 8 Plus last night at the gym and it truly horrible - big, obese and dated. But then, it hated the 6, 6S, 7 and 8 design and skipped them all. They were lazy designs with no merits. The X and of course other brands dated them over night.
An 8 style design in 2020 would be insanely bad and comical only highlighting Apple's greed. IMO it would not be a good user experience especially when the XR wouldn't cost that much more to buy / contract over two years.

Personally, I'm saving for the 5.4 Pro with ProMotion display.

The 8/8+ looks dated or lazy to you? And you think bringing back the design in 2020 is insanely bad and comical?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion(s) but I respectfully disagree. I prefer bezels and home buttons as they're a classic Apple design. They pave the way for rectangular screens with 16:9 aspect ratios (love how videos fill up the whole screen). Bezels also make phones easier to hold and white ones hide fingerprints and scratches. When one drops a bezeled phone, they're less likely to crack the screen as there's more non-screen area. One is also less likely to make an accidental call or app launch. I also love the reachability feature. Only 2 taps on the home button.

The 8+ is big? That's true. But then again so are the 6+, 6s+, 7+, XS Max, 11 Pro Max, 11, and XR. Some people like big phones while others prefer smaller ones. 'Horrible' is a subjective term.

Obese? Unsure what you meant by 'obese'. If you were referring to the thickness, the 8+ (7.5mm) is actually thinner than the X/XS/XS Max (7.7mm), XR/11 (8.3mm), 11 Pro/11 Pro Max (8.1mm), and even the 5/5s/SE (7.6mm).

If you were referring to the weight, the 8+ (202g) is actually lighter than the XS Max (208g) and 11 Pro Max (226g).

If you were referring to the width, admittedly the 8+ (78.1mm) has the greatest width of all available iPhones but it's only ever so slightly wider than the 6+ (77.8mm), 6s+/7+ (77.9mm), and 11 Pro Max (77.8mm). Only <0.4mm wider so I doubt the average user would notice.
[automerge]1571783565[/automerge]
I would consider getting one for my daughter. Good phone for a teen.
It's also a good phone for the frugal or the not so tech savvy.
[automerge]1571783751[/automerge]
3D Touch works faster then Force Touch, but Apple aren’t supporting it at all going forward so let’s hope they improve its speed.
Is Apple seriously dropping support for 3D Touch after iOS 13? Because if that's the case then that's a shame. 3D Touch does work faster and I love the trackpad feature where you apply pressure on the keyboard and you can move the cursor to wherever you wish to start or resume typing. I usually update to the latest iOS versions but may consider staying on iOS 13 when 14 releases.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrazyForCashews

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
this spring i'll either be buying this or an 11. either way it's a great way to upgrade from a 6s +. I just need at least 128 SSD (since I store my private music collection on it, and want room for video's and photos).

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
this spring i'll either be buying this or an 11. either way it's a great way to upgrade from a 6s +. I just need at least 128 SSD (since I store my private music collection on it, and want room for video's and photos).
everyone and their mother gonna tell you to get 200gb icloud instead ?

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
everyone and their mother gonna tell you to get 200gb icloud instead ?
I have iCloud. I want local storage because I like to be old fashioned, build playlists on iTunes, and upload them that way. I use spotify for finding new music and popular new music I don't want to own. Everything else I buy via iTunes, already have, or acquire via CD :cool:

Reactions: arkitect

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
Only if it retains the physical home button and headphone jack. I love that classic design. Tactile and functional.

man i can't wait for this to come out, my x feels like a brick compare to my 7, even after all this time with X i still miss the home button and touch id.

It's great to come across fellow classic iPhone design fans on this thread!

I'm sure this upcoming 'SE 2' won't be a flop and will sell well. Face ID, 19.5:9 aspect ratio display, and the notch aren't for everyone. The classic iPhone design, 16:9 aspect ratio display, and Touch ID are here to stay!

Last edited:
Reactions: SeattleMoose

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I want new nonoled, nonfaceid iphone. Gove it touch id, good lcd, new cpu/gpu, more ram (3gb at least) and new camera (main ip11 cam?) and it is gonna be my new daily driver...
I would find it hard to go back to touch id after using face id, it is instantaneous in the 11 Pro! OLED is the best display!

Reactions: Bethanie21

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm curious to know what the price would be for an SE2. The iPhone 8 is now roughly £400, an SE2 would have to be cheaper otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to buy really.

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
I'm coming from a 6S so i'm interested in the SE2... not a fan of the new stuff like face id & no home button so i'm keeping my ear to the ground. I hope it does have wireless charging, however. But 4,7 screen is great, the new ones are too big.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I'd go with a revisited version of the old SE in a heartbeat. A bit bigger would be even better, the size of the 6 series is on point. Give us bezels, give us an instantaneous TouchID, give us thinness and lightness.
I switched from the 6 to the X two years ago and couldn't get used to the bulk and the weight of the thing. Since my X is no more, I bought an 11 pro being the smaller phone in the lineup (I could not bring myself to buy the 8/128 for 600$).
The new phone lies since last week in a drawer, still sealed in its box. Somehow I can't justify how expensive the thing is! Never happened to me, but I feel it's just too much money for my personal usage this time around. SE2, yesplease.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I'd go with a revisited version of the old SE in a heartbeat. A bit bigger would be even better, the size of the 6 series is on point. Give us bezels, give us an instantaneous TouchID, give us thinness and lightness.
I switched from the 6 to the X two years ago and couldn't get used to the bulk and the weight of the thing. Since my X is no more, I bought an 11 pro being the smaller phone in the lineup (I could not bring myself to buy the 8/128 for 600$).
The new phone lies since last week in a drawer, still sealed in its box. Somehow I can't justify how expensive the thing is! Never happened to me, but I feel it's just too much money for my personal usage this time around. SE2, yesplease.
Make a decision (return or keep) quickly on your 11 Pro. I looked at it as a possible replacement for my SE but the price in Europe is verging on obscene. Apple has really been turning me off for a number of reasons over the past two years so this was a good time to explore the Android world for the first time. So a few weeks back I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S10e (on a 200 euro reduction sale) and to pre-empt the Apple "supporters at all costs" comments to the effect that Samsung has put them on sale because they are rubbish, it was back a full price two days later. Like most companies, non-Apple firms hold sales once in a while as a matter of normal practice. Apple does not need to (in its opinion) as they have enough "followers" who blindly pay whatever is asked. Hence the posted comment you see often "Just take my money".

I am very pleased with my Samsung. I admit it is a little larger than I would prefer but it is smaller than the latest Apple offerings and at a much more sane cost.

I will be keen to see what SE2 is eventually offered but it will take a lot to get me back to Cook's World.

Reactions: alex cochez

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Make a decision (return or keep) quickly on your 11 Pro. I looked at it as a possible replacement for my SE but the price in Europe is verging on obscene. Apple has really been turning me off for a number of reasons over the past two years so this was a good time to explore the Android world for the first time. So a few weeks back I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S10e (on a 200 euro reduction sale) and to pre-empt the Apple "supporters at all costs" comments to the effect that Samsung has put them on sale because they are rubbish, it was back a full price two days later. Like most companies, non-Apple firms hold sales once in a while as a matter of normal practice. Apple does not need to (in its opinion) as they have enough "followers" who blindly pay whatever is asked. Hence the posted comment you see often "Just take my money".

I am very pleased with my Samsung. I admit it is a little larger than I would prefer but it is smaller than the latest Apple offerings and at a much more sane cost.

I will be keen to see what SE2 is eventually offered but it will take a lot to get me back to Cook's World.

What Samsung model do you have? Their flagships are almost as expensive as flagship iPhones these days, aren’t they? (Forgive me, I don’t know anything about Samsung phones!)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm curious to know what the price would be for an SE2. The iPhone 8 is now roughly £400, an SE2 would have to be cheaper otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to buy really.
Depends.

If it has same chassis and features as iPhone 8 with updated A12/A13 chipset and 3-4GB RAM, why would it cost less than the iPhone 8?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
What Samsung model do you have? Their flagships are almost as expensive as flagship iPhones these days, aren’t they? (Forgive me, I don’t know anything about Samsung phones!)
Bethanie, I have the Galaxy S10e with 128GB. I paid 599 Euros (includes tax) and it is regularly 799 euros here in Finland. The iPhone 11 Pro with 64GB is 1179 Euros and the next storage level up (256GB) is 1349 Euros. All prices include tax. The Galaxy S10 is currently 950 Euros.

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
Depends.

If it has same chassis and features as iPhone 8 with updated A12/A13 chipset and 3-4GB RAM, why would it cost less than the iPhone 8?
The same as SE with 6s internals but $100 cheaper.

pricing.jpg

Reactions: Locke Cole
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.