Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wreckshop

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2008
Okay here is an example. The Original iPhone was supported up untill iPhone os 3.2.1 So that's roughly from 2007-2010

The HTC Dream A.K.A G1 - Is only upgradable to Donut which is 1.6.. So the Fragmentation occures because unless the phone is hacked with a Rom. Officially Google has only supported it for 2 SW updates which would be 1.5 and 1.6

While apple Supported it's original iPhone for 3 Software Versions.

Then there are various android handsets that only max out at Android 1.6 and won't upgrade past that point.

Unlike the iPhone where even though the Original isn't supported anymore it has been for at least 3 different SW Versions which is 3 Years. Versus google where handsets are not supported for as nearly as long.

Again, so what? Can you quantify how a handset getting fragmented after one year is somehow any worse than a handset getting fragmented after 3 years? Most people don't buy phones based on some unnamed features that they may or may not get some time in the future. If upgradability is something a consumer wants, then there are android handsets that will get FW upgrades, and rooting is always an option as well.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
How many people care about fragmentation here anyway?

A lot, I would imagine, here especially, get new phones every 1-2 years. No?

So who cares if the current phone you have doesn't have an OS upgrade possibility beyond 1-2 years. You'll have the latest and greatest phone by then and have bought 1-2 years more of updates until you get another...

You could claim it's fragmentation - but it's also a possible business plan since most people upgrade every 1-2 years (and sometimes MORE often). It's no different than offering hardware improvements every year.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Again, so what? Can you quantify how a handset getting fragmented after one year is somehow any worse than a handset getting fragmented after 3 years? Most people don't buy phones based on some unnamed features that they may or may not get some time in the future. If upgradability is something a consumer wants, then there are android handsets that will get FW upgrades, and rooting is always an option as well.

Yes i can because one handset has a longer upgrade path while one doesn't. You and others have said that the iPhone is fragmented the same or worse than than Android. And 3 Years VS one year does not qualify as being worse.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
How many people care about fragmentation here anyway?

A lot, I would imagine, here especially, get new phones every 1-2 years. No?

So who cares if the current phone you have doesn't have an OS upgrade possibility beyond 1-2 years. You'll have the latest and greatest phone by then and have bought 1-2 years more of updates until you get another...

You could claim it's fragmentation - but it's also a possible business plan since most people upgrade every 1-2 years (and sometimes MORE often). It's no different than offering hardware improvements every year.

Well most people here on Mac rumors may upgrade 1-2 years and then some don't because there are quite a few 1st Gen iphones floating around.

The mainstream consumer probarly doesn't upgrade as frequently as people on this Board do. Therefore they wan't something they can get miles from and you can get more miles from a device that is supported for 3 years of OS upgrades than one that is only supported for one.

Rhonen

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
+1 It sounds like some people on this board wan't apple to fail.
No one says losing dominance = fail. MS lost dominance, but they are still a giant in tech. Just no longer dominant. It will happen eventually to Apple, too, doesn’t mean they failed, just means they will no longer be dominant.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
No one says losing dominance = fail. MS lost dominance, but they are still a giant in tech. Just no longer dominant. It will happen eventually to Apple, too, doesn’t mean they failed, just means they will no longer be dominant.

But of course it would never happen to google right? :rolleyes:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Given how well Apple is doing with the iOS, the App Store, and iAds, I feel that once they implement the above interface into their MacOS, they will be the future of computer interfaces, with companies like Google copying their implementation but always staying one step behind.

What do you guys think?

Apple has always been a leading innovator, but never have they DOMINATED a market. Those are two different shoes, and as we all know, you do not need to have the most innovative product in order to own the world market. (Microsoft, anyone?)

Apple still fails to realize that the 1960s are over: That was the time when the computer market was OWNED (and not just dominated) by IBM. Steve Jobs still seems to believe that one single company can have it all.

Apple might remain a strong player in the market for mobile Internet devices, but the simple truth is that quite obviously the remaining industry is consolidating on the Google Android platform. Why? Because it's open source and everybody can build devices for it FREE OF CHARGE. This is how you truly DOMINATE a market. Microsoft reached that goal in the desktop computer market by licensing Windows to everyone who wanted to use it.

While Apple might have the most beautiful to look at devices with good quality, purchase decisions are usually dictated by a budget and a business case. It doesn't matter if a product is so superbly better than all the others -- what matters is if I can have something that's good enough at a better price for me. Enter Microsoft. Enter Google. Enter Lenovo and Dell. You get the idea.

Also, one shouldn't forget that corporations - including Apple - usually only innovate by buying small startup companies. Now that's a business that Microsoft, Google and others can also do.

What distinguishes Apple from the rest of the industry is that the people there actually have taste and focus. BUT that also leads back to square one: It usually doesn't matter when the competition is cheaper and still good enough.

Also, Apple does not build devices for every niche and purpose. You cannot have a real outdoor Mac, for example. But you can buy a Panasonic Toughbook or a Gericom Force notebook. You can buy PCs in industry cases, but you cannot have a Mac in one. You cannot put an alternate operating system on your iPad, but you will have a choice of operating systems for competing products.

Apple's business model evolves around a limited set of highly controlled and restricted products. It obviously works well for them, but this is not the business model that will lead a company to DOMINATION, as you asked.

AppleRules

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Apple needs to keep hitting homeruns with their products to maintain their momentum. Nobody knows how long Steve will be around either. I just don't see that happening over the long run.
Predicting the future of tech companies is impossible, a new or old player could come along at any time.

Rhonen

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Apple has always been a leading innovator, but never have they DOMINATED a market. Those are two different shoes, and as we all know, you do not need to have the most innovative product in order to own the world market. (Microsoft, anyone?)

Apple still fails to realize that the 1960s are over: That was the time when the computer market was OWNED (and not just dominated) by IBM. Steve Jobs still seems to believe that one single company can have it all.

Apple might remain a strong player in the market for mobile Internet devices, but the simple truth is that quite obviously the remaining industry is consolidating on the Google Android platform. Why? Because it's open source and everybody can build devices for it FREE OF CHARGE. This is how you truly DOMINATE a market. Microsoft reached that goal in the desktop computer market by licensing Windows to everyone who wanted to use it.

While Apple might have the most beautiful to look at devices with good quality, purchase decisions are usually dictated by a budget and a business case. It doesn't matter if a product is so superbly better than all the others -- what matters is if I can have something that's good enough at a better price for me. Enter Microsoft. Enter Google. Enter Lenovo and Dell. You get the idea.

Also, one shouldn't forget that corporations - including Apple - usually only innovate by buying small startup companies. Now that's a business that Microsoft, Google and others can also do.

What distinguishes Apple from the rest of the industry is that the people there actually have taste and focus. BUT that also leads back to square one: It usually doesn't matter when the competition is cheaper and still good enough.

Also, Apple does not build devices for every niche and purpose. You cannot have a real outdoor Mac, for example. But you can buy a Panasonic Toughbook or a Gericom Force notebook. You can buy PCs in industry cases, but you cannot have a Mac in one. You cannot put an alternate operating system on your iPad, but you will have a choice of operating systems for competing products.

Apple's business model evolves around a limited set of highly controlled and restricted products. It obviously works well for them, but this is not the business model that will lead a company to DOMINATION, as you asked.
“Dominant” is a pretty vague term. I see it as a combination of several factors – market share, trends, mainstream profile, etc. Apple has the best combination of all of them. It is a rather subjective title, but I’m sure many would agree that Apple is a tech leader, THE tech leader, right now.

jecastejon

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Apple fanboys, or zealots

The two companies named in the thread have one very significant difference. Apple is all about controlling the users & locking them in the walled compound. Trapping them in the Apple ecosystem. Then sucking every dollar from them for Apple approved, and provided content. People are already waking up to this fact.

Google is even more powerful. Cloaked as free and open, while partially true, they hold all the cards. Due to the nature of their endeavors, and unknown behind the scenes activities, they may prove far more toxic than Apple.

One things for certain, the phenomenon known as Apple fanboys, or zealots, will continue to keep Apple alive long past their useful shelf life.

At the end of the day, this is the most entertaining movie of all.

And you joined macrumors to guide the zealot back to the light?? Don't hide under your critics about Google, I can smell your applepeople hate everywhere. There are zealots, and fans everywhere but you just choose Apple users and Apple for your crazy conspiracy theories.

Let me remind everyone Apple has been predicted dead 15 years ago and every year since those days. And at some point those predictions may get to be true. I use PCs too and almost every brand available and side by side to my Macs. I am not the only one, but people like you focus on the fanatics and on the negative aspects of the Apple ecosystem. Well friend, if you have such a vision about Apple and their users you enclosed on "fanboys and zealots", please explain what are you doing here? Are you hidden under the protection internet brings to you?.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
There is one Apple philosophy, which carried over from the IBM days. If you buy stuff, it tends to be usable. IBM used (perhaps still does) to guarantee that their software would be suitable for a specific task. IBM also used to provide a one stop shop. This way a place can let one vendor handle all the issues come up, rather than running between software, hardware, application,and OS vendors.

In some ways, Apple provides a similar service, especially if one mainly uses an Apple application (iWork, Logic Studio, etc.) Apple supports the hardware, OS, drivers, and the application. This by itself can save hours of aggravation should some oddball problem arise when doing stuff needed to keep income coming in.

jecastejon

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
I think the video is some steps ahead from today's user interface design and this is nice. Today it is very difficult to visualize a UI that wont be heavy graphical or 2D. I think this is because we humans in general have received great training using simple graphics. Also, it is easy for me to say the future OS interaction will be 3D and animated, but 3D has advantages and disadvantages. Graphics are very easy to read and 3D makes for far greater possibilities. I think both UI approaches will coexist in the future with 3D elements adding more and more functionality. And as the fine video presented here I also expect this interaction with the UI to evolve and make good use from more natural human resources as our 10 fingers.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
You guys talk like fragmentation is a bad thing.

Its not, as long as there is a big dog calling the shots with reference, vanilla code.

Android phones would be boring if they all had exactly the same features and all had the exact same interface.

There would literally be no reason to choose an Incredible over a Captivate or a Droid 2 over an Epic.

Android's huge selling points are the cloud integration (Google Mail/Maps/Contacts) and a built-in marketplace.

Cell phone carriers and cell phone manufacturers only have to sweat the small stuff when it comes to apps. Google manages the entire back-end and they'll let almost everyone have access to it.

Thats why its going everywhere all at once. If you don't want to deal with turtleneck wearing control freaks, then you still have an alternative.

Phokus

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
Fragmentation is not going to be an issue once gingerbread rolls around. Froyo is supposedly the finished/stable version of the OS and gingerbread is going to turn it into a modular OS where you basically download the elements of the OS you want from the android app store and you don't wait for the carrier/manufacturer to upgrade your phone. It's funny but it seems like Gingerbread is going to make it so that you can upgrade your O/S indefinitely while Apple will stop support of their OS On older iphone version after a few upgrade cycles

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009

by far the most ill-informed post filled with contradictory statements.

apple have never dominated a market? um hello ipods??? or did you miss that memo? overall apple have already surpassed microsoft in market cap. in less than 3 years, every single other phone company is scared of apple. the incumbents nokia are a sinking ship. RIM can't come up with any sort of competitive edge against the iphone. they tried with the storm and completely failed.

secondly, free and open-source is how you DOMINATE a market? are you saying linux (and its hundreds of fragmented variations) is the lead OS of the world then?

and yet RIGHT AFTER this idiotic statement you say microsoft owned the market by selling its licensing???

"Steve Jobs still seems to believe that one single company can have it all."

what fantasy world do you live in, in which he ever tried to make such a claim??? jobs himself already said hes not interested in competing for the top in the desktop market. watching a few keynotes would tell you that.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
Fragmentation is not going to be an issue once gingerbread rolls around. Froyo is supposedly the finished/stable version of the OS and gingerbread is going to turn it into a modular OS where you basically download the elements of the OS you want from the android app store and you don't wait for the carrier/manufacturer to upgrade your phone. It's funny but it seems like Gingerbread is going to make it so that you can upgrade your O/S indefinitely while Apple will stop support of their OS On older iphone version after a few upgrade cycles

this is obviously going to be hardware dependent. or are you saying i can upgrade my htc hero that just came out barely last year past 2.2 without rooting/hacking/using buggy 3rd party roms? yah i dont think so.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010

You will always reach a point where new features that are added cannot run on certain hardware due to CPU/memory constraits.

I had not heard that about gingerbread. If that is what they are doing that is a great idea and will certainly help.

booch221

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Anchorage AK
Google

Google will dominate. Although I own an iPhone now, I want a choice of hardware, be able to install any apps I want, and get service from other than AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.