Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
No case for me. I've been using the iPhone 4 case-free for 27 months and there's nothing but some minor scratches on the back that can only be seen in the right lighting. I think so long as a person keeps their iPhone in a front pocket all to itself no case is required. My feeling is that having the world's thinnest smart phone but cramming it in a big fat case kind of defeats the purpose. Likewise for iPads.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
I always spend way too much on cases and sleeves ...in the end my 4S had been nude for a year and wouldn't go back to cases. When I get the 5 will go totally nude as well but will get AC+

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
No case for me I think. Do you guys think it needs a screen protector? Did I read somewhere that I cannot find now that the glass on the screen is new Gorilla Glass and less apt to scratch? I really don't want to have to use a screen protector if possible.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'm planning on going caseless 90% of the time. I'll throw on a case for specific activities. (Beach, bars, etc.)

My only concern going caseless is scratching the camera lens. Specifically when I lay it on a flat surface. In the video available on the iPhone 5 page, they talk about how the new camera lens is actually stronger than ever. But am I right that you are in danger of scratching your camera lens from just lying the iPhone 5 on a table top, etc?

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
No case for me I think. Do you guys think it needs a screen protector? Did I read somewhere that I cannot find now that the glass on the screen is new Gorilla Glass and less apt to scratch? I really don't want to have to use a screen protector if possible.
I've gone two years without a screen protector or case and there's not a single scratch on the front of my iPhone 4. I believe that if you don't throw it in a pocket or bag with other things, and you lay it face-up on tables, you should be fine without a screen protector.

boxster99t

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
If you drop it, you take it to the Apple store who will offer you a replacement for $199, regardless of model or size. Squaretrade will reimburse you $150 of that. You have a $49 deductible.

This is interesting--AppleCare+ costs $99, and if you break your phone there's a $49 co-pay for a new iPhone. So you're spending $148, and if you don't break the phone you lose. If I can replace a 64 GB iPhone 5 for $199, I think I would take my chances (as my original iPhone was used daily for 3 years and dropped several times without incident; my iPhone 4 for 2 years and dropped occasionally) and self insure my iPhone from damage.

As for cases, if the iPhone 5 is as slippery as my iPhone 4 (which I have in a bumper case, for that reason), I may want some bumper or case eventually. If it doesn't feel like it's going to slip out of my hand, probably "naked".

----------

ordered a bumper already.. when you've seen what a dropped smashed iphone looks like 1st hand a bumper preventing that is well worth it..

and i like the feel and look of the bumper on my 4s..so 5 will be no different

Where did you get a bumper for iPhone 5?

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
Not me. I went naked with my 4S for a few months, ended up dropping it twice when jogging and putting a couple dents/dings in the side. I kinda liked it naked, but its not worth risking getting it dinged up.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Yes if you buy from a good company that adds it.

You have to research the product.

Also, you can buy glass to put on your screen. Not Plastic but a real layer of glass that has a coating.

Glass? Another layer to make my phone thicker? No thank you.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
If you drop it, you take it to the Apple store who will offer you a replacement for $199, regardless of model or size. Squaretrade will reimburse you $150 of that. You have a $49 deductible.

So you are spending $100 to maybe get $50 back? Sounds like a bad bargain to me!

I also read the agreement and see no mention of a deductible in the contract. Still, spending $100 to maybe save $100...I will be careful and take my chances. After all, I spent less than $100 on AppleCares for my $1,500 MacBook Pro. $100 to potentially save >$1,000? That I will take.

:)

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Wow, no protection on a phone I need to work at all costs? That would be ignorant on my part, it's a phone and a small laptop replacement, not a Rolex.

I use my phone in a lot of varied conditions, 130 degrees to -30 below zero, light rain, snow, sea level to 20,000 feet while mountaineering, skiing, etc.

I have had a bumper on my 4 since day one and while the dust has scratched the chrome ring, it has been dropped at least half a dozen times, on it's second bumper and it fine, minor scratches to the front screen.

I guess some live stuck in traffic cubicle lifestyles and others actually have lifestyles, as in active ones and might drop the phone once and awhile. I will be getting a bumper for my phone, it's a tool, not a toy, I need it to work period.

Kind of ticked they are not for sale yet.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Naked, just like my launch 4 which is in virtually perfect nick :). I'm a train driver working some of the most rickety death wagons in the world, and I use it in the gym and running 4+ times a week, so I'm no desk jockey either.

Why buy a Ferrari and hide it under a car cover? 0_o

EclecticGent

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
GA
Yeah, to some degree I am. I'm hoping the make something like it. If not someone might step up and hopefully hake something with the same level of polish (metal colored buttons and such). It gave just enough protection to keep me from feeling like I had to baby my phone.

Yeah, I agree. I am a little surprised that the Apple store does not have a few case options already offered. I would like a bumper or something.

Like you have said, I feel that I baby my phones without a case. :)

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Wow, no protection on a phone I need to work at all costs? That would be ignorant on my part, it's a phone and a small laptop replacement, not a Rolex.

I use my phone in a lot of varied conditions, 130 degrees to -30 below zero, light rain, snow, sea level to 20,000 feet while mountaineering, skiing, etc.

I have had a bumper on my 4 since day one and while the dust has scratched the chrome ring, it has been dropped at least half a dozen times, on it's second bumper and it fine, minor scratches to the front screen.

I guess some live stuck in traffic cubicle lifestyles and others actually have lifestyles, as in active ones and might drop the phone once and awhile. I will be getting a bumper for my phone, it's a tool, not a toy, I need it to work period.

for most on this board, i assure you that the iPhone is as much a toy as tool.

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011

Wow...you are awesome and clearly the only one on this board who deserves an iPhone.

Hey everyone else, please cancel your orders.

Thank you. That is all.

:confused: :rolleyes:

On second thought, maybe you should get one of these instead...
caterpillar-cat-b10-550x402.png

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
If anyone knows where I can get a bumper for mine, I would love a clear one for my black 64, I had mine before I even got the phone when I got the 4. I even thought about skipping the 5 since I like my setup so much but I need the additional space and the big increase in speed over the 4 will be great, less time on devices is a good thing.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Want to go naked but can't stand the though of my new £700 toy getting stratched within the first few weeks.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Truprotection HD screen protector for me...basically same the one as powersupport offered. Had it for the 4S and was blown away.

I get a scratch protector for the back of the phone as well.

NEVER understood people that buy bulky cases for such an amazing looking phone. They destroy the look immediately. Makes no sense and don't try to tell me otherwise you otterbox lovin, waterproof defender idiots.

I discovered dBrand's leather skin on sale at woot like a month ago and have it on my 4S. Love it and it was only 10 bucks on sale at the time. Probably be 20 or whatever full price is for the 5, but I loved the quality and fit of the skins. going for red and black again. It covers the sides and the back and you can pick and choose different colors on the sides and back!

Might try Tru Protection HD for the screen. I had a anti glare screen protector that I scratched the hell out of.

JH4DC5

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
Have you checked out the Tumi Sleeve? It's only $55 and I think way better than an LV. It has these two slots for i.d. and credit card and it's very well made and is even paded within. I think, the LV is just made of leather which offers no protection, but the name. They make it for the 4S, but they should have one for the 5 soon.

Link

I love Tumi gear. I have a wallet and messenger bag from them. I hope they come out with their sleeve for the 5 ASAP

iforbes

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011

Mark Scheuern

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
Michigan
I've gone two years without a screen protector or case and there's not a single scratch on the front of my iPhone 4. I believe that if you don't throw it in a pocket or bag with other things, and you lay it face-up on tables, you should be fine without a screen protector.

Same here, and the back still looks fine, too. I keep it in a pocket but I'm careful not to put anything else in the same pocket. I do have a bumper on it, though, and, after taking it off recently to have a look, I'm disappointed that stainless steel on the sides of the phone has scratched significantly in spots, presumably from the bumper rubbing against it or stuff getting between the phone and the bumper and abrading it.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I had been using various cases on the 4 and 4S. But when I saw the prototypes of the 5, and they ended up coming to be the actual design, something told me that I didn't want to use a case. So for the past few weeks, I have been using the 4S naked and I'm loving it.

So my plan is naked for the 5. I love the slimness and the black anodized aluminum. I dont want to cover it up.

I have had a couple of freak accidents, so I always get insurance for my devices. Truthfully, I've spent way less in insurance premiums than I have in cases. Right now I have 5 or 6 cases for the 4/4S sitting in my drawer. Silly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.