Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Apparently this was not meant to be. I've had the digitizer become totally non-responsive twice. Apple refused to replace it because they were able to "bring it back" with a hard reset... which BTW is now a new process... no longer do you "chord" the keys... pressing them in rapid order: Press UP volume, DOWN volume and then press/hold POWER.

So I returned it for a refund. Gonna sit this one out... and maybe the next couple of releases, too. $950 for a 256GB iPhone 8+ that locks up all the time? No thanks.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Apparently this was not meant to be. I've had the digitizer become totally non-responsive twice. Apple refused to replace it because they were able to "bring it back" with a hard reset... which BTW is now a new process... no longer do you "chord" the keys... pressing them in rapid order: Press UP volume, DOWN volume and then press/hold POWER.

So I returned it for a refund. Gonna sit this one out... and maybe the next couple of releases, too. $950 for a 256GB iPhone 8+ that locks up all the time? No thanks.
Probably next update would fix it?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if anybody returned their phone.

Earlier today, someone posted in a thread that Apple had made "huge improvements to the 6s" to get to the ip8.

Being that I have a 128gb 6s...I would have to spend $850 to get the closest equivalent ip8, since of course the 128gb tier is now gone.

Is anyone going to tell me with a straight face that it worth $850 to go from a 128gb 6s to the 256gb ip8?

Would you tell your parents that?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Software issue. Drama queen much?

It's just downright annoying that, after dropping over $1100 after tax on this and you get problems, AND two levels of support at Apple didn't know about the new hard-reboot process... I am (and will continue to be) quite satisfied with my 7+... and keep $1100 in my pocket.
[doublepost=1506119368][/doublepost]
Probably next update would fix it?

Maybe... I'll never know. :D

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Is anyone going to tell me with a straight face that it worth $850 to go from a 128gb 6s to the 256fb ip8?

Yes. It is very much worth it to spend $850 to go from an iPhone 6s to 8.....

giphy.gif

Sorry I tried to keep a straight face on that one :(

No real reason to waste that type of money when you already have a phone so close in look and abilities. The 6s is still an amazing device and I plan to keep mine until it no longer works.

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
If my new iPhone had the problem yours had, I would return it, but I would wait a week or so and buy it again.

I have an Space Gray 8+ and the only issue I have is that the Fitbit app doesn't like the A11 chip/iOS 11.

EDIT: I am in the IUP, so they already have my 7+, so returning to buy another 7+ seems like too much hassle.

BTW, I notice a slight 'delay' when I touch the screen. I'm hoping this is a software glitch as I want to keep my original phone. I set it up as new.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547

wvayens

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
Had the same problem with my 8+ that arrived today....screen non responsive to touch. Tried to reset and finally had to contact Apple Support to discover there is a "new" method for the 8!

So far this has only happened once, but thanks for the heads up...I"ll keep an eye on it.

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
A friend of mine said he’s returning his 8 plus after he learned it was a refurbished 7 plus with a new glass casing. I didn’t quite understand it. He’s going to just keep the 7 plus I guess.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Had the same problem with my 8+ that arrived today....screen non responsive to touch. Tried to reset and finally had to contact Apple Support to discover there is a "new" method for the 8!

So far this has only happened once, but thanks for the heads up...I"ll keep an eye on it.

Two Apple support reps didn’t know the new procedure, either. When the Power/Volume Down didn’t do it, they sent me to the Apple store without an appointment.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Had this screen unresponsive on my 7 Plus Black as well (iOS 11). I think it's the IOS 11 issue. Had to hard reset to fix it. Might come back.

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
There doesn't seem much excitement for this year's iPhone launches. I was a Best Buy today and saw the demo models and there wasn't any lines for any of the phones and none of them were sold out. One of the workers I know said they had sold some that morning. I thought he said around 10-12 which isn't that many.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if anybody returned their phone.

Earlier today, someone posted in a thread that Apple had made "huge improvements to the 6s" to get to the ip8.

Being that I have a 128gb 6s...I would have to spend $850 to get the closest equivalent ip8, since of course the 128gb tier is now gone.

Is anyone going to tell me with a straight face that it worth $850 to go from a 128gb 6s to the 256gb ip8?

Would you tell your parents that?

I went from an $850 64GB 6S Plus to a $950 256GB 8 Plus and I think it's worth it. Maybe you and others don't though.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The way I see it.. people should be able to resell their 6S for $350-450 Their 6S plus for $350-500 (those were completed eBay listing I found)

Minus eBay fees and PayPal and shipping. So take about 10-15 percent off those prices.

So that $699 iPhone 8 64gb iPhone really ends up costing you about $300-400. And not the $699 price tag.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

Something doesn’t sound right here. I just got back from the Apple store and switched out my pre-ordered gold 8+ for a silver one. Just because I wanted a different color.

Did they flat out refuse? Or is it that they felt like they resolved your issue and simply didn’t offer you a new one?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Something doesn’t sound right here. I just got back from the Apple store and switched out my pre-ordered gold 8+ for a silver one. Just because I wanted a different color.

Did they flat out refuse? Or is it that they felt like they resolved your issue and simply didn’t offer you a new one?
Apple does allow you to switch to a different color, no questions asked (as long as it's within 14 days). But with unresponsive screen like that is a different story and likely will try to resolve it first before trying to replace it. At that point OP just decided to return it rather than exchanging it.

Reactions: BeeGood

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Apple does allow you to switch to a different color, no questions asked (as long as it's within 14 days). But with unresponsive screen like that is a different story and likely will try to resolve it first before trying to replace it. At that point OP just decided to return it rather than exchanging it.

Ah I gotcha. That makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.