Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
That's a long reply for someone who doesn't care about my opinion! Similarly, I never said my opinion was the be all and end all, I just stated it. As I'm entitled to do!

I didn't say that I didn't care about your opinion. And I said TWICE in my reply that you were entitled to your opinion.

I was responding to your post that there was not enough reason to justify the upgrade. My point remains that for you and your situation, this may not be a significant enough update to warrant a purchase... in my case, I made the decision that it was. Wow... not that hard to comprehend.

Last edited:
Reactions: celly

celly

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Calgary
lol I’m not envious at all. I sat out this years launch. Waiting for the x. I see no need for the 8 this year. It’s a filler launch. Pointless in my eyes.

I've never purchased a first gen iPhone ever. I love waiting for the "s" line so I get a better phone than the lemmings who purchased the year before. I love early adopters because they set the stage for a better phone a year later for me.

4s->5s->6s+->8 (7s) has been my path and it's served me well.

The X doesn't appeal to me on many levels. What does appeal to me is I have the same horsepower under the hood as a X and it'cost me a lot less than the X for features I don't want (Face ID comes to mind).

Oh, and I got a phone on launch day. I spoke to Apple Store folks yesterday and all signs are pointing to people sleeping out to get what little supply will be available on launch day. Hope you get one before the 10s comes out in Sept 2018.

Reactions: EdMan

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I've never purchased a first gen iPhone ever. I love waiting for the "s" line so I get a better phone than the lemmings who purchased the year before. I love early adopters because they set the stage for a better phone a year later for me.

4s->5s->6s+->8 (7s) has been my path and it's served me well.

The X doesn't appeal to me on many levels. What does appeal to me is I have the same horsepower under the hood as a X and it'cost me a lot less than the X for features I don't want (Face ID comes to mind).

Oh, and I got a phone on launch day. I spoke to Apple Store folks yesterday and all signs are pointing to people sleeping out to get what little supply will be available on launch day. Hope you get one before the 10s comes out in Sept 2018.
Did you not watch that video someone posted a few posts ago from a 6s to an 8?
The difference isn’t there.
People want something new. Not another iteration of the same thing 3 years in a row.
I never had issues with the “early” adopter phones as I started with 3g and up.
The 8 8s is apples way of milking people along selling the exact same thing. I think it’s nonesense and the sales have shown that.

Only thing you will notice is a decent upgrade in the camera but speed in everyday tasks from what I’ve seen is nothing major.

Reactions: OneMike

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

In real world usage the difference isn’t worth $100 let alone $800

The iPhone 6S+ is the biggest bang for buck iPhone you can get now in the plus size range. Period.
The iPhone 6s is like the iPhone 4s. Huge leap on performance. 1gb ram to 2gn ram on the 6s eliminated the mobile safari webpage reloads we hated with the 1gb ram esp on the 2014 underpowered iPhone 6 plus that definitely needed more ram to power the 1080p screen.
.the iPhone 4s introduced ios to duo processor which likely is the the reason it performed so we'll

Reactions: mi7chy

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The iPhone 6s is like the iPhone 4s. Huge leap on performance. 1gb ram to 2gn ram on the 6s eliminated the mobile safari webpage reloads we hated with the 1gb ram esp on the 2014 underpowered iPhone 6 plus that definitely needed more ram to power the 1080p screen.
.the iPhone 4s introduced ios to duo processor which likely is the the reason it performed so we'll
It wasn’t just the ram. The processor in the 6s could actually support the 1080p screen. The 6+ sucked pretty bad. My iPhone 5 was faster in most things.
The 6s is the first phone that people don’t really need to upgrade.
Not for this years ehh model anyway. I see this years model as iPad 3. Red headed stepchild nobody will remember

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Contemplating exchanging my 8 Plus for the 8. Size is just so awkward and I'm already tired of having it in my pocket. I had the 6S Plus and downgraded to the 7 as I was tired of the plus size. Apparently I forgot the lesson I learned back then. Of course I sent off my iPhone 7 to ATT Next this morning. Will keep playing with it today, but may be headed to the Apple Store to exchange it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Contemplating exchanging my 8 Plus for the 8. Size is just so awkward and I'm already tired of having it in my pocket. I had the 6S Plus and downgraded to the 7 as I was tired of the plus size. Apparently I forgot the lesson I learned back then. Of course I sent off my iPhone 7 to ATT Next this morning. Will keep playing with it today, but may be headed to the Apple Store to exchange it.
That’s one of my main reasons I’m excited for the x

Reactions: Jetcat3

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
It wasn’t just the ram. The processor in the 6s could actually support the 1080p screen. The 6+ sucked pretty bad. My iPhone 5 was faster in most things.
The 6s is the first phone that people don’t really need to upgrade.
Not for this years ehh model anyway. I see this years model as iPad 3. Red headed stepchild nobody will remember

I disagree. People confuse iPhone 8 saying it's iPad 3 model...saying it's iPhone 5C.

First of all iPad 3 ran basically a 2011 A5 "x" processor in a March 2012 release iPad 3 (i owned it) plus a higher resolution...very bad comparison to iPhone 7 vs iPhone 8 cause it's the same exact resolution and different processor.

iPad 3 was severely underpowered cause it used last generation processor to power retina display.

The iPhone 8 isn't that. It is a meh upgrade but not underpowered.

It's the iPhone X I'm more concerned about. Initial reports show it being slower in geek bench reports compared to the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 plus. Its gotta power facial recognition. Gotta power a slightly higher resolution. I would be concern about iPhone X's longevity.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I disagree. People confuse iPhone 8 saying it's iPad 3 model...saying it's iPhone 5C.

First of all iPad 3 ran basically a 2011 A5 "x" processor in a March 2012 release iPad 3 (i owned it) plus a higher resolution...very bad comparison to iPhone 7 vs iPhone 8 cause it's the same exact resolution and different processor.

iPad 3 was severely underpowered cause it used last generation processor to power retina display.

It's the iPhone X I'm more concerned about. Initial reports show it being slower in geek bench reports compared to the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 plus. Its gotta power facial recognition. Gotta power a slightly higher resolution. I would be concern about iPhone X's longevity.
Yes true. I also had it. For a year till I sold it for a mini.
The iPad 3 is better to be put against the 6+. Way too Underpowered to power the nice screen.

Blokes444

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I returned my iphone 8 plus 256 this morning. Had issues with the software and constant crashes. Tried DFU and unable to restore, updated iTunes and it worked. Phone was still laggy, felt like an iphone 6 on ios11...sluggish and stuttered between swipes. For $1049 w issues first day? No I'd rather use an SE, at least ios11 Works great. Very very disappointed for the first time with apple...thought I'd never say those words.

Reactions: johnothy

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
lol I’m not envious at all. I sat out this years launch. Waiting for the x. I see no need for the 8 this year. It’s a filler launch. Pointless in my eyes.

Well...not pointless...after all, not everyone may want to spend close to a grand on a phone, but it's sorta a filler in some ways.

But hey, if someone wants to blow $700 and more on a phone...I'm not standing in your way. :)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Well...not pointless...after all, not everyone may want to spend close to a grand on a phone, but it's sorta a filler in some ways.

But hey, if someone wants to blow $700 and more on a phone...I'm not standing in your way. :)
Spending 900$ to a grand doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. The 50$ Bump to the 8’s this year is a stupid move.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
I’d be happy to take all your iPhone 8 if not needed. Remember, always give back to the poor and by poor I mean those who have the 7.

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
Hmm, having just upgraded from a 6s+ to an 8+, I beg to differ, period.

6s+ got a bit laggy, esp after iOS 11. the 8+ is smoking fast on the same OS.

Night and day difference. Value is subjective. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Where do you come up with $800? I checked my purchase price for the 6s+ with 128 GB and Applecare vs my 8+ with 256 GB and same coverage, and paid pretty much the same for both, two years apart.

It really is not night and day difference, far far from it. Also the lag on a 6S+ on iOS 11? Don’t know if yours was faulty but it’s as smooth as iOS 10 was. Value certainly is subjective but the large increase in price cost for a 6S+ (especially second hand) to an 8+ is not worth the cost for minimal differences.

You make it sound like going from an iPhone 3GS to the X.

celly

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Calgary
Did you not watch that video someone posted a few posts ago from a 6s to an 8?
The difference isn’t there.
People want something new. Not another iteration of the same thing 3 years in a row.
I never had issues with the “early” adopter phones as I started with 3g and up.
The 8 8s is apples way of milking people along selling the exact same thing. I think it’s nonesense and the sales have shown that.

Only thing you will notice is a decent upgrade in the camera but speed in everyday tasks from what I’ve seen is nothing major.

I don't need to watch a video. I've been rocking a 6s+ for two years now and it really started feeling laggy, especially after I installed iOS 11 (but was feeling long in the tooth before).

On Thursday night I was at an event where I was trying to use Twitter and my camera and it was painful how laggy the 6s+ felt.

One thing I love about having iOS 11 on both is that I was able to migrate my 6s+ over to the 8 very seamlessly. Worked nicer than a straight backup restore.

The 8 is MUCH faster than the 6s+ and my settings between the two phones are identical.

I've never gone wrong upgrading every two years. I keep my existing phones for backups or to hand over to my family members. Resale means little to me.

I find it crazy that people upgrade every year. That upgrade plan Apple cooked up puts a lot of $$$ in their bank account. That plan works squarely in Apple's favour. Apple has early adapters where they want them because they are the guinea pigs for people like me.

Back to our original discussion. I don't have to justify my purchase to anyone. I own a small business and my smartphone is my most important tool. I buy unlocked phones outright and leave the cell providers at my mercy who I'll go with.

I have NEVER regretted only buying phones every two years. The upgrade from one phone to another is always very noticeable. I also get my phones on launch day so I use them for two full years before I get another. The staggered launch day for the X and the uncertainty over supply means you might use your phone for 8-9 months before the next "latest and greatest" is announced.

I ran Geekbench on the 8 and compared it to the results I got with the 6s+ and my benchmarks are way higher what they showed two years ago (and the 6s+ was smoking fast at the time vis a vis my 5s).

What's important is that you be happy with your purchase. These forums are littered with people trying to beat down others who are grown adults and make decisions for themselves.

The 8 and the 10 are going to perform almost identically. I had a conversation with several other iPhone owners in my circles and we all agreed that facial recognition does not appeal. FWIW, the Touch ID on the 8 is much more robust than the 6s+ and I love it. Touch works the way I do. I've always locked my phones and the current way of doing it is the best way of doing it (for me).

Frankly, in two years I hope they're still offering flagship phones with Touch ID. The OLED screen is nice on the X, but it will be standard fare on iPhones in due course.

I thought about buying the X for about 5 minutes. It really didn't appeal to me, especially when I saw that most of the specs for it are identical to the 8. The 8 is in a form factor I like and it is definitely a much-improved version of the 6s+. I have never used a 7 in the real world (outside of playing with one in the Apple Store), but the 8 rocks my world.

No buyers remorse in the slightest. I'm glad the X is coming out because it was much easier to buy the 8 on presale and have it waiting for me at 8 AM yesterday morning.

The 8 is a great phone for me and I wish you X buyers all the luck that you get one on or close to launch day. All the naysayers are suggesting there is no way demand will be met in short order, but naysayers are inherently pessimistic anyhow.

Last edited:

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Is anyone going to tell me with a straight face that it worth $850 to go from a 128gb 6s to the 256gb ip8?

It is only that if you don't sell your working 6s. Or give it to someone and save money that way.

I'm trying for at least 3 years on my 7+, almost 1 year now. Instead of feeling pressured to hand my phone off to someone, I just bought them new SE models ($200 via prepaid carrier).

celly

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Calgary
It really is not night and day difference, far far from it. Also the lag on a 6S+ on iOS 11? Don’t know if yours was faulty but it’s as smooth as iOS 10 was. Value certainly is subjective but the large increase in price cost for a 6S+ (especially second hand) to an 8+ is not worth the cost for minimal differences.

How is is a large increase in price? i paid the same for my 8 (256 GB) with as I did for my 6s+ (128 GB) two years ago. Granted, we're subject to exchange rate fluctuations in Canada, but in real terms (when you factor in inflation), I paid less for my 8 than I did for 6s+

The guy at the Apple Store noticed the lag on the 6s+ yesterday too. He suggested that the lag I'm experiencing relates to the fact I did not do a clean install and that iOS 11 is still indexing on the 6s+. That makes sense to me, but i found it feeling long in the tooth even before I updated it to iOS 11. Maybe a fresh install was needed, but one thing I love about iOS in general is I set up my phone once and leave it.

Wasn't the case when I was in the Blackberry world before my first iPhone so I appreciate that. My iPhones just work.

The 8 is pretty much the same phone as the 10 spec wise. I saved money by getting the phone I wanted and it is a faster phone. That much I am certain about and the Geekbench results I have for both phones support that.

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
How is is a large increase in price? i paid the same for my 8 (256 GB) with as I did for my 6s+ (128 GB) two years ago. Granted, we're subject to exchange rate fluctuations in Canada, but in real terms (when you factor in inflation), I paid less for my 8 than I did for 6s+

The guy at the Apple Store noticed the lag on the 6s+ yesterday too. He suggested that the lag I'm experiencing relates to the fact I did not do a clean install and that iOS 11 is still indexing on the 6s+. That makes sense to me, but i found it feeling long in the tooth even before I updated it to iOS 11. Maybe a fresh install was needed, but one thing I love about iOS in general is I set up my phone once and leave it.

Wasn't the case when I was in the Blackberry world before my first iPhone so I appreciate that. My iPhones just work.

The 8 is pretty much the same phone as the 10 spec wise. I saved money by getting the phone I wanted and it is a faster phone. That much I am certain about and the Geekbench results I have for both phones support that.

iOS 11 does have slight issues, even reports on this forum of lag on the new devices. Updates will sort out the smoothness. The 8+ is sure nice but it’s just an minimal upgrade (to says its 2 generations behind) from the 6S+, if you have that or above, it’s a hard sell to buy a new 8+

Also take geekbench with a pinch of salt, it’s jait stats and figures. iOS users dismissed geekbench when android devices ran the tests faster, now it’s all changed and multi thread tests are all the rage now when the video I posted previously shows in actual fact, day to day usage they are 99.9 the same speed doing normal day to day tasks.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Yes true. I also had it. For a year till I sold it for a mini.
The iPad 3 is better to be put against the 6+. Way too Underpowered to power the nice screen.
Will agree with that. iPad 3 and iPhone 6 plus are the most under powered day 1 launch ios devices.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

In real world usage the difference isn’t worth $100 let alone $800

The iPhone 6S+ is the biggest bang for buck iPhone you can get now in the plus size range. Period.

You are dead right.

Look...I'm not against anyone buying a new phone. It's not my money so what do I care how you spend it. :)

I just laugh when some people exaggerate or claim something which is not true.

Someone said in a thread that the 6s is old tech. Really? Ok...let's break it down.

TouchID v2
3D Touch
RAM
LCD screen
Runs iOS 11

Both the ip8 and the 6s share all of the above.

The 6s is older. It's not old tech.

Old tech is a ip5.
[doublepost=1506188438][/doublepost]

People are stupid.

There is no way the ip8 is an ipad3.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

There was a $50 bump for the premium storage option this year. Previously, it was a $100 bump, but it’s $150 this year.

celly

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Calgary
FWIW, Geekbench scores. I don't really pay attention to benchmarks like some do, but I think they are telling in this case.

iPhone 8 running iOS 11 (today)

iPhone 8 (iOS11) - Sep17.png

iPhone 6s+ running iOS 9 (October 2015)

iPhone 6s (iOS9) - Oct15.png

same iPhone 6s+ running iOS 11 (today). Settings, files, apps etc are virtually identical to iPhone 8.

iPhone 6s (iOS11) - Sep17.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.