Whose running iOS 4.0 on their 3G??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by esadb, Jun 8, 2010.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Im sure most of you got their hands on the GM version of iOS 4.0 and are running.

Question is any of you running it on the 3G, i installed mine and it seemed a bit luggish and slow. Kinda of a disappointment.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks!

2. Screwtape macrumors regular

I'm running it on my 3G and it runs great! Feels much snappier than 3.1.3. I clean installed it though, so that may be why.

3. UnitedLax342 macrumors member

Im running it and it works great... except there is a small bug in the photos app.

4. gorillamonsoon macrumors newbie

I'd be quite keen to get ios4, i'm currently running a jailbroken 3.1.3, i heard that you could only use ios4 currently if you were on a mac, since itunes 9.2 beta is needed, and thats only mac?

5. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Yah i restored from backup..

Any idea if i do it again and do a clean install of it? Can i get my phonebook back? and my apps?

6. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

Installed iOS4 GM on my 3G and about to jailbreak it right now.

7. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I am and it is great except I cannot get Pandora to run in the background at all. Everything else works great.

8. Screwtape macrumors regular

How is your phonebook synced? If it goes though phonebook on your computer or mobileme or the equivalent, then you'll be fine.

You'll have to re-sync your apps, music, etc, and you'll lose all backup data (game saves, sms's etc).

9. AppleD macrumors newbie

Pandora needs to update the app to support the new multitasking APIs. Soon enough...

10. Branskins macrumors 65816

Seems great on my 3G so far! I am loving folders far more than I thought I would! At first I was like...folders? Seriously? But now that I have been able to use them they are GREAT! I even made a folder on my main screen...of which I am very picky about! (Before I had just the right arrangement of apps (color, icon image, etc...) to make it looks great. I know I am weird -_-).

Only problem I have run into is that the Messages app seems kind of clunky. Sometimes the keyboard lags, or when I send a message the send button gets stuck and the app kind of slows down a lot. Weird considering that the phone feels snappier almost everywhere else. Folders work great, the new dock is great, swiping between screens great, going into and out of apps feels a lot smoother. Going to my last page of apps and then pressing the home button to go to my main screen is so smooth that you can see every app page before it gets back to the screen. In 3.0, this transition from last to first was very sluggish and most of the time I didn't see what happened in between going from last to first.

But the messages app just seems so odd! Maybe it will fix itself over time?

11. eagles2214 macrumors member

thespaz?

12. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I got it on my 3GS but somehow cellular data will not work even with full bars...

13. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I've been using 4.0 since beta 1 and it's by far the greatest OS ever.

14. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

15. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I got it on my 3GS and everything seems to be fine except for a small bug in the photos app. I have my photos synced over in events from iPhoto and when I go to open a particular event, the photos are viewed from bottom to top. (i.e., I have to scroll up, rather than down, to see all my photos in an event.)

I hope that all made sense. It's a small bug and a minor annoyance.

Anyone else have this issue?

16. Branskins macrumors 65816

Well I am not that bad! I am not debating the placement of the send button with pixel accuracy! I have just noticed a new sluggishness in the messages app. It actually froze on me for a few seconds earlier today.

My app placement is my own OCD problem haha! But folders lets me get past that and throw a lot of apps in one place :p

17. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

My phone is synced on my mac with address book, i actually did that before doing iOS 4.0 today.

It just that when i click Messages it almost takes like a solid 5seconds to open. And there is no SMS in there.

18. djohn macrumors newbie

up and running on 3G:

custom backgrounds: no. bummer!
    multitasking: no, as far as i can tell
    new mail/inbox system: yes
    folders: yes
    new ipod controls w/ orientation lock: no. still showing traditional popup, no multitasking tray
    digital zoom in camera: yes
    game center: working
    photos faces/places: yes

what else is barred from 3G besides backgrounds and multitasking?

let me know if anyone would like anything tried on a 3G.

settings app is showing more or less identical options to 3.1.3.

19. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

So when I install 4.0 GM on my 16 gig 3gs if i restore it to factory settings 3g/edge works, but if I restore form my backup settings they no longer work. I have reset the network settings also and it doesn't seem to work.

20. Branskins macrumors 65816

So I am not the only one who noticed the sluggishness in the messages app!

21. arykmax macrumors regular

Can you add webpages you have saved into your folders with the apps? I have blu-ray.com on my home screen and would want to put it in a movies folder.

22. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

The messages app the keyboard seems to stick and it sucks big time!

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

24. djohn macrumors newbie

just tried it - yes

25. arykmax macrumors regular