Why 3G Only? MMS.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoner2010, Mar 17, 2009.

1. iphoner2010 macrumors member

The iPhone 3.0 was announced today, and they say that MMS messaging will only be available with the 3G. Any idea as to why? :apple:

2.53GHz MacBook Pro (Late 2008)
    iPhone 2G

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So Apple can get you to upgrade. Plain and simple. There's no radio issue like Apple suggests, that's just PR BS. Jailbroken first generation iPhones have had MMS for a while now.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yep. i don't see the point of MMS. i can email pictures for free. people who say they have older phones and can't get emails on them... well if you MMS'd them wouldn't they then have to email it to themselves?

i think it takes a step out of the equation - plus... it's free. i bet AT&T will be slightly upset if push notifications work as well as they are made to do. who would pay for texting with AIM running 24/7?

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I think the same as TuffJimmy, just rubbish to further entice the 1st gen owners whose contracts are ending this Summer. My 6 year old backup phone has mms :rolleyes:

Shysters. :mad:

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Because Apple wants people to upgrade and somehow I sense that MMS or Sound clip sending thru EDGE will be a pain for some and it might put some pressure on AT&T's ye olde network

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Not only has this been discussed to death, but Apple thought support for it was important enough to add.

7. jeremykyle macrumors regular

It's because the radio changed from the first generation to the 3G. It all has to do with the hardware limits of the first generation.

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Didn't you just see that this is not the case?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Wrong. 1st Gen iPhone support MMS just fine. See Swirly MMS, a jailbroken application available since 1.1.1 software.

Apple just doesn't want to add support, pure and simple or using MMS in EDGE is too slow to be useful.

10. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

...that's what I figured, but wasn't sure. Honestly, I would upgrade if the difference in monthly fees wern't so high. I absolutely hate that it's stuck with the ATT network. Bad service, bad prices, they simply SUCK. :apple:

11. jeremykyle macrumors regular

What I posted is what Apple said in the Preview Show today. Read up on it.

12. lordhamster macrumors 6502

People excited that now they get to send extremely limited texts and get to pay for the priviledge.

Its called email folks, get with it.

13. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

But we know that is false.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Lol, what I have done this far. Send the pic to the email, plain and simple. MMS is more for laziness sake. However, aren't we all lazy?;):rolleyes::D

Screw the fact its not for 1st Gen, well at least this gives me a reason to upgrade:)

15. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I fail to see the need for MMS. Heck, I hardly ever use text messaging as it is. If I want to send someone a photo, I selct "email photo" from the menu and boof! :rolleyes:

16. trunkster macrumors member

I always thought MMS was a gimmick that wireless carriers used to make even more money of their users. But still I never got why the iPhone didn't have it. It still doesn't make sense why the original iPhone won't be able to have the feature. Maybe there will be video recording or support of downloading video MMS? I guess that would be a legit reason to limit it to the 3G.

17. pavvento macrumors 6502

I think this is the ultimate 'kool aid' test for this board. Is there anyone that actually believes Apple? A hardware limitation? Seriously that's just plain pathetic. I have no problem if they don't want to offer it, but don't come up with an impossible to believe lie.

18. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

I agree, MMS is not the end-all in the Cell world, but if you have friends or colleagues who do not have an e-mail accessible phone, MMS is nice. :apple:

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

My Mum doesn't have an email address. At all. Not just on her phone. At all.

She does have a mobile that can receive MMS messages though...

I suspect there are a lot more people like that that we all know than you'd like to think.

I do think it's odd, because there's simply no conceivable hardware limitation and it *already works* on jailbroken phones.

I suspect I'd be a lot more upset if my 2G contract didn't expire the month before 3.0 ships anyway...

Phazer

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is utter tripe by apple. I have already sent feedback to them over this issue.

21. kolax macrumors G3

MMS has been working fine over GPRS for years! It has nothing to do with network performance, otherwise they'd disable Safari the ability to download images when on GPRS/EDGE.

22. chwhale macrumors member

Left feedback as well. This is complete horse-$#!t

23. Tom Dunne macrumors newbie

The vast majority of phones support MMS, however only a small percentage of phones support e-mail.

So if you want to ensure somebody can receive your photo/sound/whatever, MMS is the one way to guarantee they can read it on their phone. You don't have that guarantee when you e-mail a photo/sound/whatever.

As for not enabling it on the 1st Gen, that's pretty bad form by Apple.

Marketing, pure and simple.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hadn't thought of that one... then its just Apple doesn't want to.

25. ne0star macrumors regular

Just when you think apple are doing something good they have to go and ruin it with a stupid decision like this.

My Nokia 7650 from about 7 years ago could send MMS. There is an app in the app store that lets you send use mms if you are on O2.

Its amazing though how many people simply believe anything apple says.

Its a hardware issue, what a laugh!