Why 4.7" for the iPhone 6? Why not just do 5" and be done with it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Apr 28, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

What is the point of *****footing around with 4.7", 4.8" etc.? Why doesn't Apple just go with 5", which seems to be the new standard, and be done with it? It will continue to seem like Apple is playing catchup.

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Because not everybody in the market wants a 5" screen. I'd be happy with the current form factor so a 0.7" increase is a compromise for my needs. Releasing two sizes is satisfying two sets of people. If you want a massive phone the 5.5" will be fine for you. They are not playing catch up because they have had no difficulty selling their product until now and screen size is subjective to the individual consumer.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

Why not just go with 6inch and get ahead of the competition :rolleyes:

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I'd be happy with a 4.3. I'd be happiest with a 3.5.

5. Dave245 Suspended

I don't think Apple are playing catchup, what Apple tends to do is wait until they can perfect a feature or whatever it is they are working on, they have said that they are bit interested in being the first to release something. I think they are releasing a big screen phone because they have found a way to make it userble with one hand. Personally I trust Apple so we will wait and see.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

+9000

I'm not a teen, and I'm not over 50. I don't need the latest fad (gigantic phones), and my eyes are fine. Us 20-somethings seem fine with 4-4.7" and even 3.5". I still see a LOT of 4's and 4Ses around my college campus. Maybe it's because we don't upgrade as often for budget reasons, but I'd also bet it's size. We were the ones that really liked the smaller, thinner feature phones like the Razr and the EnV series.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Some people buy iPhones specifically because they're one of the few remaining brands of high-end smartphones that are less that 5 inches.

8. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

When u own the game, you never have to play catch up!

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Cuz I want my phone to fit in my pocket!

10. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

6" exists with the sony Zperia Ultra 6.44

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

And the LG flex to. I seen the LG flex. WAY to big.

12. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The LG Flex is 1280 x 720 while the Zperia Ultra is Full HD 1920 x 1080 which is a little more "flagship" then LG's Flex. The LG G3, that's a phone

13. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

4'' is perfect IMO. I used a 4.8'' GS3 for almost 2 years and can safely say I like the 4'' better. I'm 6'2'' and have largeish hands too. 4.8'' does not fit into my hand securely. I fell like I'm going to drop it.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

My friend at school brought in their new Galaxy S5 today (5.1").

I had a quick play with it, and although the screen is crisp and bright, after even just 5 minutes it seemed a tad uncomfortable to use due to the size of the screen.
    I'd like the iPhone screen to be a little bigger, maybe 4.5-4.7", but any more contradicts the whole point of a mobile phone. 4.7" would perhaps be the very limit with which you could use with one hand, if the bezels were made smaller.

I have medium to large hands and could *just* reach corner-to-corner of the S5 in one hand, however it felt so precarious that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it often.

15. dvoros macrumors 6502

why a 4.7

This is just Apple's way of being stupid:eek:
    They obviously cannot make a phone that rivals the Samsung or HTC 5 inch and above phones so they tinker and put out one that is .7 inches larger than the 4 inch. Its a so so time at Apple. No new product announcements or at least, far and few between. Everyone's desk must be collecting dust.:(

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It's a wonder they make any money at all isn't it?! lol

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

In my opinion, 5" screens are just way too big for a mobile phone. The HTC One M7 is 4.7" and HTC One M8 is 5". The old (M7) looks and feels much better, which leads me to believe that 4.7" is the maximum size a mobile phone screen should be. The iPhone 5/5S screen is perhaps a tad small, but there are also valid arguments that it is perfect as it is. If you're a heavy internet fiend or watch videos then you'll find it too small, but if you mainly use it as a phone and therefore SMS/calls/emails/camera/the occasional web search are the main roles, then the present iPhone screen will be perfect for you.

18. GBR macrumors 6502

I actually agree with this, but I think Apple is in a tough spot with having to keep the home button around due to Touch ID. I have a 5S and a Galaxy S4 and absolutely love the GS4 screen more (but that's where my list of 'likes' ends...). Because android doesn't require a huge circular home button they can fit a larger screen in a chassis similar in size to an iPhone. I mean, when you stack a 5S in top of a GS4 it's shocking that the GS4 really isn't that much of a larger phone. All these people who claim a 5" phone is too big haven't actually compared the the sizes or ever held a GS4. I'll admit it's not entirely one handed operation friendly but it's not phablet sized like some people act like it is.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

[​IMG]
    It's way bigger lol.

20. boast macrumors 65816

boast

21. GBR, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

GBR macrumors 6502

Not that much bigger. At least I was surprised at how close they were in size compared to how people talk

Attached Files:

22. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Apple does not play catchup. If you want a large 5"+ screen I'm sure you know they exist. Not everyone wants a HUGE screen as a phone.

My current iphone size is perfect and doesn't need to be the size of my ipad that also is the perfect size, and my ipad doesn't need to be the size of my imac that also is the perfect size.

That's one of the reasons why I like Apple products THEY DONT PLAY CATCHUP, each product is perfect for its intended use

23. Xiroteus macrumors 65816

I would like to see (or would have) a 3.5" iPhone along with a larger one. Now it appears there will just be huge phones and no smaller options. I wonder if there will ever be a turn again to smaller phones. I enjoy the larger phone? (tablet thing) I have yet I also miss the 4S because it was the right size in many ways.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a Lumia Icon which is larger and I'm able to use it with one hand, I don't have overly large hands. My point is that you can design a phone that is ergonomic and larger. Personally, I'm waiting (hoping) for a larger iPhone 6. Im not saying they should drop the smaller form factor but include a larger one.

Variety is the spice of life so to speak, not everyone wants a smaller phone (and conversely a larger one).

Apple is a single manufacturer competing against a horde of other makers and if they don't provide form factors that consumers want, then those consumers will go with Apple's competitors.

25. edfoo macrumors regular

And you own a Samsung Galaxy Note 3... enough said.