Why abandon touchid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pelea, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Pelea macrumors 6502

it's 100x more convenient to use, has basically no downsides compared to faceid in real world usage, it's faster and we've already been through 2 generations of making it more consistent and reliable.

faceid is worse to use during winter (when you're wearing lots of clothes covering ur face), it's harder to use in class, in the morning when you just woke up, during meetings when you need to quickly glance at ur phone for 1 second etc.

there's 0 advantages to faceid besides being "slightly more secure" which really isn't an issue at all with touchid for 99.9% of the population.

at least keep touchid on the next few standard iphones and keep the faceid crap for the x and future versions of the x

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

That’s what Apple has done. Touch ID on iPhone 8 & Face ID on iPhone X.

3. Diorama macrumors 6502a

You obviously live in a warm country and don’t do the washing up/baby’s bath.

4. michael9891 macrumors 65816

And you're basing all this on personal experience of Face ID are you? And perhaps while you're in class, you should be paying attention to what's going on in there and not what your friends are posting on Facebook.

5. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Seriously if you think FaceID is worse in winter then how can I trust any other opinion you have.

6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Depends on where the OP is from though.

7. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Yeah fair enough, but when it gets cold the gloves come on long before I need any kind of full-face covering.

8. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Lol. The gloves never come on for me, neither do I cover my face like the Eskimos. even when it’s -10°C here.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am betting that if Apple could have got Touch ID to work through the OLED screen, we would not even be hearing about FaceID.

They sure tried for months and months to get touchID to work so that kinda proves that faceID was a 2nd choice.

10. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Another Touch ID fanatics vent-thread....

11. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Sounds like you have already used faceid OP?

Why not wait and see. Many complained about touchid when it was announced.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I’m sure the facial rec hardware will intimately be more reliable and multipurpose and of course finnancially more cost effective to manufacture.

With wireless charging, the rapid adoption of wireless headphones, improved Bluetooth and WLAN is there really a need for a lightning connector or any connector for that matter?

However Apple might keep the jack as cables are surely a revenue generator.

13. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

I don’t think this is something Apple just threw together at the last minute.

How do you know they sure tried to do anything?

14. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Touch ID was mediocre at best when it first came out. Many threads on that.
    Now, very few issues.

15. Mildredop macrumors 68020

So Apple are abandoning Touch ID just months after they included it on the MacBook Pro?

The Macs are feeling so disjointed from Apple's other products.

I think each tech likely has its plus and minus. I suspect Apple have chosen Face ID because it's cheaper.

16. Tom G. macrumors 68020

Tom G.

How can anyone have any sort of meaningful dialog about something that no one except a very few have even seen or tried?

Weird.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It is pretty well documented that Apple was wanting have Touch ID through the OLED screen. Was much written about it for months.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Possibly. The technology may be out there but the implementation costs and availability of the necessary hardware may have been factors in using face recognition.

I am curious if law enforcement will be allowed to simply hold the phone up to your face and unlock it.

19. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Hopefully the next model has it because I love Touch ID. No complaints whatever.

20. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

I have to lift my fingers up and the put them on the sensor again when it doesn't read the first time. Which happens when I'm at the gym, wash my hands, etc. Happens more than I care for.

Terribly inconvenient.

FaceID I just have to look at it.

21. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

It was well documented that the X would have it under the OLED. Half the stuff on the internet is just made up to get clicks.

22. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

You must have a dodgy phone then - the TouchID on my old 6S and on my new 8 worked and works like a charm, I barely even have to touch the home button and I’m in. Incredibly convenient. Not sold on FaceID, find it rather gimmicky and cheesy.

23. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Here’s the thing about Face ID, almost no one has experienced it yet. I have read speculation that all your face has to do is be in the field of view of the camera, you look at the phone and it unlocks. Not sure if it is true but since to see it you have to look at it, then it seems like it should be pretty seamless.

But time will tell, maybe we should all wait until we’ve tried it to offer opinions

24. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

I, for one, am excited about it. I complained about the no headphone jack, now it's difficult to use wired headphones again after purchasing the AirPods. I believe Apple ultimate goal is a iPhone with zero buttons on it.

25. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

What happens if you have had a major facial injury, will you be locked out of your iPhone from then ever since? Just thinking out loud.

Cheers