Why all the hate on Twitter?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Since the latest rumors were posted on MacRumors i've seen a lot of negative comments towards Twitter, and how the Twitter implementation would be horrible.

Actually, iOS 5 has already started picking up negativity for this fact alone. The OS hasn't even been previewed yet and people are already upset.

So, why all the negativity about Twitter?

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I have no idea. Personally I think this is a refreshing change from everyone else including Facebook integration. Plus I use Twitter more than Facebook, so for me this is a positive thing. People need to be less uptight about things and wait until the OS has been released before passing judgement on it.

3. gregrose macrumors 6502

let it be an app, not integrated into the phone, twitter is dumb & i really hope i dont see it in my phone, though i am jailbroken so i doubt i will see a reason to update anyways

4. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

Even if twitter is in iOS 5, I would never use it. I never have liked twitter much.

6. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

I understand that people dislike it, but i'm wondering why? What is the reasoning behind the comments?

7. EddyP macrumors 6502

Because the masses that don't use it don't want to see code wasted on the OS for twitter. Anything to minimize the bloat.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

IMO ... Twitter and Facebook are just a waste of time

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I am the kind of person that would much rather use Twitter instead of Facebook, I like how its quick to the point with its 140 characters and if Apple integrated it into the OS I would be really happy, but unfortunately I don't since my friends and family all prefer Facebook over Twitter.

So for this reason (now) I can see how it would be a waste and somewhat intrusive to some. I feel that the same would apply if Apple were to integrate Facebook into iOS 5, not everyone is on board with Social Media.

Currently my use for Twitter is purely consumption. I follow several people in tech, some comedians (for a quick chuckle) and some random people, though I find it to be very informative in certain situations, at other times I can see how my Tweets would get lost in a sea of other Tweets rendering it somewhat useless and maybe why others can't get on board.

At least with Facebook, I can post a comment directly on someone's wall or send a direct message and not have to worry if they got my @someone comment. About 90% of my Family and Friends use an iPhone (4) and if Apple can build Twitter into iOS 5, I feel that maybe this will be a good leverage to get others that I know to embrace Twitter, but for now, I feel that everyone seems to be ok with Facebook and it will be hard to get people to switch.

10. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Twitter has its uses (to follow businesses or people), but "deep integration"? I think that's going a bit far. What the hell am I going to tweet so often that I need "deep integration"?

This smacks of "we ain't got much so let's toss in Twitter integration!"

11. Che Castro macrumors 603

I dont know , i hope is not in the way and can be hidden if you dont use twitter

12. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Because Twitter has it's own bad ass app (several actually) and integrating it in to iOS is Meh! Plenty of other features Apple is lacking currently in iOS and this is not one of 'em IMO.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

It was rumored that Apple was going to incorporate Facebook into iOS 4.0 last year but it never even made into the Betas, so something happened with that deal. Probably after spending several months negotiating with Facebook that lead nowhere, maybe Apple decided to negotiate and striking a deal with Twitter instead.

[​IMG]

14. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

People hate new things around here - then they love it.

15. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

If it's integrated in the iOS with no way to disable it, then it's stupid.

16. EddyP macrumors 6502

Agreed.

IF they do it, hopefully it's like that Ping crap where I can just shut it off. Though I still don't want to see the wasted OS code. Like someone else said, there are other things that could be improved.

17. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

But in countries like Japan, Twitter extremely popular. I'm sure Twitter is used in other countries as well. Maybe Apple is trying to be little more international?

18. LoganT macrumors 68020

People always feel cool when they go against what the crowd wants.

19. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I'm very excited about the potential twitter integration. I use it far more than FB and prefer it. At the end of the day I am open to whatever thei integrate so long as it's usage is not forced. If you dont like twitter don't log in, simple as that.

20. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I think that if they were talking about integrating facebook, you'd have a lot less complaints.
    I for one do not use facebook. Why? I've read the TOS. And I do my best not to be part of the sheeple herd.

As for integrating Twitter, eh.. I think its pointless as well. Shouldn't be integrated at all. No social net should be.

However, it makes me wonder. Apple tried Ping as a social network. Its not so hot. What if apple tries this integration, its slightly successful, and then they attempt to acquire Twitter.
    Far fetched maybe, but possible.

21. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I never thought about this, but it could certainly be possible.

22. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I use Twitter a lot. I don't see any reason to hate it.

Facebook, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

23. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

All the people I know uses facebook, twitter is useless to me and i assume many other people too, it would be a waste of time having it incorporated in to iOS.

24. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I don't see the reason for any hate for Twitter on iOS. I am sure there will be some cool integration but I doubt Apple will make you feel like you need Twitter to truly utilize your iPhone.

Prolly just some neat stuff for those of us who use Twitter. That's my bet. More than just the "Post On" button. ;)

25. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I follow a few people on Twitter such as people in bands that I am a fan of, and a few celebrities and MuscleNerd :)D) but that's really about it. I haven't tweeted anything in almost a year and I honestly never check it. I think they should leave integration out of the picture and keep non-Apple services as apps and not part of the native operating system.