Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Nov 28, 2010
located
What exactly is wrong with them threads? Or the OPs who have posted them? I'm failing to understand.

He was 14 before he was 13. I mean, I sometimes have trouble remembering my age, but not that much. Threads by this member just seem to be conflicting with each other.

And there is also the "abandon my own thread with my questions being answered with more questions" syndrome.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
He was 14 before he was 13. I mean, I sometimes have trouble remembering my age, but not that much. Threads by this member just seem to be conflicting with each other.

Oh, I see. Hardly a bannable matter though. I'm not sure about this forum, but most age restrictions are to the age of 13.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
From a fence sitter (neither love nor hate Apple, I love and loathe some of their business practices) this site seems quite balanced. There are issues with Apple and to gloss over them/pretend they don't exist then you're only being silly.

But in terms of real trolls - as in those who just come here to annoy others - there aren't many but they do exist on both sides (not naming names, but we all know who. Infact I'd say the worst are the ultra Apple fans. They don't get banned like the joke troll accounts).

This site is still quite nice. It's just lost that lovely cosy community feel that unfortunately happens when sites get so big.

Edit: Heh, I just made a good point in one post but because it mentioned Apple's recent lawsuit business and how another company might take on them, it's frowned upon. I'd like to change my original statement - this site could do with some more balance. :)

Last edited:

Interceptor2

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Gloucester, England
I've seen many a good forum ruined and destroyed by trolls, people who choose to insult without adding anything useful or seek to prolong useless chit chat (diversion).
Trolls are removed on the better sites. I remove trolls from places I moderate/run.
There is a whole culture of trolls, with websites containing instructions on how to excel, it is an integral part of internet culture, it can be eradicated.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Two people I genuinely respect:

The Design and Graphics forum used to be a very helpful place full of quality people, but like many of the other forums on this site, has gone downhill drastically in the last few years. It's the main reason I hardly post on MR anymore.

I've pretty much stopped posting here in the last year or two. Really it's because there used to be a lot of reasoned discussion and debate in any given topic, with a large group of seasoned Apple users setting a civil tone and giving meaningful takes on the news of the day.

These days it's like reading youtube comments. Frankly anybody using the term 'fanboy' doesn't seem to have the mental capacity to articulate their own thoughts, or entertain the thoughts of others.

Couldn't put it better myself.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I think Apple has entered another stage, a more secure and respected one. No longer is there the need to support every move or every bit of the philosophy.

We fans can now be critical, hoping our views are taken into account (likely not!).

This can be mistaken by the True Believers as trolling, but it isn't. It is tough love.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
I've seen many a good forum ruined and destroyed by trolls, people who choose to insult without adding anything useful or seek to prolong useless chit chat (diversion).
Trolls are removed on the better sites. I remove trolls from places I moderate/run.
There is a whole culture of trolls, with websites containing instructions on how to excel, it is an integral part of internet culture, it can be eradicated.
Perhaps if the members here knew what to look for when a troll comes along (eg. how to identify one) and the moderators/admins took a no-tolerance approach to trolls then they wouldn't bother coming to MR to inflict their 'damage'.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
OK. Here's a legit question that would be a natural troll target...

How does one report an unacceptable post/poster ?? On some forums, there's a button specifically to report an abuse. On this forum, are the up/down arrows used for reporting? If not, what is the process? :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How does one report an unacceptable post/poster ?? On some forums, there's a button specifically to report an abuse.

20111231-187h2sby11f866k3nwcec7ra57.jpg

Click the warning triangle.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Arn,

Not sure if MR has the resoruces to go more like a Facebook style rating and popular feed listing. I see some hints in the blog articles where popular highlighted posts are featured.

I don't think there is a one size fits all solution. Some will want unrestricted, unfiltered raw posts, others want the trolls and BS segregated. Otehrs will hate to be gagged or booted. I do nto envy your problem.

I was a long ago Forum leader on AOL and we had similar issues and while the AOL way was far from perfect, did keep the place relativly tame and civil.

They had paid and volunteer moderators who could giv warnings, issue short term and long term bans as well as remove posts that wer flagged. It required labor, but in my case was well worth it to create a well liked, and visited forum that also had the ability to create flame wars by mere opinions being stated.

Good luck.

There's definitely been a bit more contentious vibe to the major comment threads these days, and I'm not sure the best way to combat it.

It's unfortunately a side effect of popularity.

I know some people object to the voting buttons, and like I said when we started it was a bit of an experiment, to get more data. I think we could go further with it, but there are those that seem opposed to it.

arn

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Problem Members:

believe the site is called droidrumors.

are some teenagers who believe that they invented computers as well as sex.

believe all other members are under 45 and male.

forget that some have worked on computers for 40 or more years.

have been totally spoilt by their parents.

moderating an internet site is a thankless task..... so Thank you Mods.

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
They had paid and volunteer moderators who could giv warnings, issue short term and long term bans as well as remove posts that wer flagged.

Sounds exactly like what we do here at MR. It's really quite an operation "behind the scenes".

Ultimately though the forums are large and we can't be everywhere, we do need regular users to flag and report posts that are inappropriate as mentioned above.

B

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Banning people for using the word fanboy? That idea is silly. Even when used in an offensive context it's really not a very offensive word:

"I love chocolate ice cream!!!"

"Whoa, you must be a fanboy*. Also, vanilla ice cream is better, you jerk**."
*not offensive **this is the offensive part

The word isn't really an insult. So why, when it comes to certain tech companies instead of ice cream, is it considered one? It's what comes before or after the use of fanboy that will hurt people's feelings and lead to flame wars/troll happiness, and I think MacRumor's moderators already do a good job at handling that.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Banning people for using the word fanboy? That idea is silly. Even when used in an offensive context it's really not a very offensive word:

"I love chocolate ice cream!!!"

"Whoa, you must be a fanboy*. Also, vanilla ice cream is better, you jerk**."
*not offensive **this is the offensive part

The word isn't really an insult. So why, when it comes to certain tech companies instead of ice cream, is it considered one? It's what comes before or after the use of fanboy that will hurt people's feelings and lead to flame wars/troll happiness, and I think MacRumor's moderators already do a good job at handling that.

That's the reason. I think there was a time when words "troll" and "fanboy" were allowed but since they almost always caused more insults and name-calling, the best choice was to ban these words as well. (Possibly) less work for us :p Either way, a mature person should not have to rely on words that are even remotely insulting. You can express your view on a more polite way.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Problem Members:
believe the site is called droidrumors.

Problem members:
Hold a positive opinion about non-Apple products and are often insulted on the forums for being an Apple hater, as seen in this thread. (Holding a positive opinion about non-Apple products does not mean you can't also have a positive opinion about Apple products!)

Perhaps there need to be an "other devices" category for people to ask questions/make statements about their non-Apple hardware that happens to compete with Apple hardware they chose not to buy for some reason or another. I think there are probably more iPhone users that have a great distaste for Macs than there are Mac users that have a great distaste for iPhones (and I say this because there are far more iPhone users out there!)

Dunno, I have positive opinions about most things, soooo.. I feel like a jerk bumping this thread all the time.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Problem members:
Hold a positive opinion about non-Apple products and are often insulted on the forums for being an Apple hater, as seen in this thread.

(Holding a positive opinion about non-Apple products does not mean you can't also have a positive opinion about Apple products!)

Kind of agree here. I like all things computer based, not just Apple, but if you open your mouth even a little you get jumped like you committed the ultimate sin.

Apple isn't the end all of computers. They are nice, but there are also other very nice products out there.

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
Don't Know

As someone who understands computers enough to get by and uses Macs for that reason, I can understand the frustration of more experienced users who are attempting to educate the rest of us and some blunderer who does not recognize his own limitations asserts something erroneous or is not appropriately respectful of others can be an irritant. I am hopeful that the tools already built into the site will allow those persons to be dealt with appropriately.

What I am concerned about is that those more experienced users will get exasperated and leave, which will only increase the percentage of blunderers on the site. What I would ask is that the more experienced users recognize that the blunderers likely don't see themselves as they are and chalk it up to that ignorance and accept that there are those people in the world and as much as we might want to avoid them, it can be difficult at times.

For myself, I am appreciative of the information and help that I've received on this site and hope that the goals of educating Apple users can be maintained for years to come.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Totally agree. People who come here to help (instead come to promote their non-Apple devices) are fewer and fewer now.

I am still failing to see the flooding of people who promote non-apple devices here. Care to point some out so I can see what you are on about.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I am still failing to see the flooding of people who promote non-apple devices here. Care to point some out so I can see what you are on about.

I have to agree. I still see plenty of different people here, aiding others in need. I don't see a whole lot of non-Apple promotions, flaming or hating in the majority of the forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.