Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shnuggaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2021
MacRumors recently published an article regarding leaked MBP schematics which included MagSafe. This is just speculation but: One reason why they might add MagSafe again is because USB-C PowerDelivery only supports up to 100W. Maybe the M1X requires a higher wattage to run at full power and therefore needs a different charging port. Which could therefore indicate a massive performance jump...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Doesn't make much sense to me. Apple Silicon is literally 3-4 times more power efficient than Intel Macs, why would they build a laptop that consumes over 100Watts?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Apple Silicon is far more efficient than the Intel processors that Apple are moving away from. They will not require more power.

EDIT: beaten to it by seconds

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Doesn't make much sense to me. Apple Silicon is literally 3-4 times more power efficient than Intel Macs, why would they build a laptop that consumes over 100Watts?

I agree. I think it’s just to bring back a feature that was loved - but also it seems like an elegant solution to add the Ethernet port (as they did on the iMac charger). So now you’ll have HDMI, SD Card and Ethernet added. I know some organisations and even people just really want to avoid WiFi - so it’ll satisfy them. Though saying that, I guess technically they could have added the Ethernet to a USB-C port, maybe this way it can share more components with the iMac reducing cost ?‍♂️

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I agree. I think it’s just to bring back a feature that was loved - but also it seems like an elegant solution to add the Ethernet port (as they did on the iMac charger).

That is definitely true, but then again there is nothing preventing them from adding Ethernet to an USB-C power adapter as well.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
MagSafe IS returning to the upcoming 14" and 16" MacBook Pros.

Apple has even included a version of it on the new m1 iMac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.