Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I just learned through leaks that the iPhone camera optics are going to be F/1.9. Just .3 stops from f/2.2. That is lame!!! Why are they so slow at improving the camera? F/1.4 or something please. I seriously doubt I'll be upgrading. Samsung has f/1.7 optics and it's an awesome camera, I just don't like the android software otherwise I'd be using one.

F/1.9 is basically f/2, hardly worth investing in. I guess I'll know more in 7 days. But if true, rather disappointing for sure. It seems that the 4.7" iPhone will have f/1.9 optics and a larger sensor but the plus model will not have a larger sensor, same as I have now in my 6s plus. If the camera image quality is not up to my standards, I may just pass this time. Hopefully apple will provide some full resolution image samples we can look at.

This latest leak says that a 12MP unit will be used, with a 1/2.6? sensor, ƒ/1.9 aperture, and 1.3 µm pixels. By way of comparison the iPhone 6s has a 1/3? sensor and a ƒ/2.2 aperture. It remains to be seen what difference these changes will make on a practical level.

Dual-camera module coming to iPhone 7 Plus

Arguably more interesting is the rumored arrival of the dual=lens module on the iPhone 7 Plus. According to the leak the camera will have two 12 MP units, a 1/3″ sensor and a ƒ/1.9 aperture. There has been no word on what the pixel size will be at this stage.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Wow people do like to complain huh? What are you expecting? This is not a photographer connoisseur's niche.

It should be. Apple says its best thing about the iPhone is the camera. All of those shot on iPhone commercials are everywhere. We don't see shot on Samsung note or S7 yet that phone has a much better camera. I just wish that apple used the same or better. As a pro photographer, I want my iPhone camera to be great. Those of you that aren't photographers can care less. You guys mostly take snap shots for Facebook and Instagram. I want my iPhone to perform like my DSLR, I realize it can't match it, but at least apple can try. I just hate the aggressive noise reduction and watercolor look seen in medium ISO levels. Bigger optics mean more light grasp and higher resolution.

I use my iPhone for three things: photography, web browsing, and texting. I'm not a gamer, nor do I play Pokemon go!

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Maybe. But why not at the very least match what the competition is doing for almost $700? Apple are milking the brand to the max at the moment. No innovation effort at-all. So sad.
Why match it? There are always trade-offs to be had. I almost never shoot at f1.7 (well f1.8 anyway). Apple overall has better dynamic range, color balance and doesn't blow out the sky as much as the competition, imo.

Reactions: alexmarchuk

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Wow people do like to complain huh? What are you expecting? This is not a photographer connoisseur's niche.

Yes I'm complaining! Apple should focus more on the camera to cater to pro photo enthusiast. There are apps that make the image quality better, but they take up time to use and slow me down. I used to use my iPhone camera all the time, not much anymore though, I've outgrown its limits and it no longer inspires me to use it. That is why I hope camera improvement evolves quicker.

Reactions: ABC5S

DadBod630

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
Yes I'm complaining! Apple should focus more on the camera to cater to pro photo enthusiast. There are apps that make the image quality better, but they take up time to use and slow me down. I used to use my iPhone camera all the time, not much anymore though, I've outgrown its limits and it no longer inspires me to use it. That is why I hope camera improvement evolves quicker.

Okay so do you want a brand new entry level model iPhone to cost $1300 then instead of $650?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Why match it? There are always trade-offs to be had. I almost never shoot at f1.7 (well f1.8 anyway). Apple overall has better dynamic range, color balance and doesn't blow out the sky as much as the competition, imo.

Yeah I suppose they do. I just felt like venting... I don't know what I want. Guess I shouldn't have started this thread lol.

Reactions: I7guy

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
This is a phone, not a DSLR - I know what a f1.4 50mm lens look like, the larger the aperture the bigger the lens - there's some limitations likely involved here technologically speaking. Have you ever seen what apple does to make the current camera in the iPhone? See here:http://petapixel.com/2015/12/21/apple-has-800-people-working-on-the-iphone-camera/

Cmon. Apple HEAVILY promotes the superiority of the camera. And they run commercials showing off the amazing photos possible. And they brag about how people are replacing their cameras with the iPhone. And the amazing Apps available make the iPhone an all-in-one photo studio. So how is it that pointing out Apples very slow progress with lenses is suddenly unnecessary whining.

Just like in so many other areas, Apple can do much better than what they've been churning out lately.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
I just learned through leaks that the iPhone camera optics are going to be F/1.9. Just .3 stops from f/2.2. That is lame!!! Why are they so slow at improving the camera? F/1.4 or something please. I seriously doubt I'll be upgrading. Samsung has f/1.7 optics and it's an awesome camera, I just don't like the android software otherwise I'd be using one.

F/1.9 is basically f/2, hardly worth investing in. I guess I'll know more in 7 days. But if true, rather disappointing for sure. It seems that the 4.7" iPhone will have f/1.9 optics and a larger sensor but the plus model will not have a larger sensor, same as I have now in my 6s plus. If the camera image quality is not up to my standards, I may just pass this time. Hopefully apple will provide some full resolution image samples we can look at.

This latest leak says that a 12MP unit will be used, with a 1/2.6? sensor, ƒ/1.9 aperture, and 1.3 µm pixels. By way of comparison the iPhone 6s has a 1/3? sensor and a ƒ/2.2 aperture. It remains to be seen what difference these changes will make on a practical level.

Dual-camera module coming to iPhone 7 Plus

Arguably more interesting is the rumored arrival of the dual=lens module on the iPhone 7 Plus. According to the leak the camera will have two 12 MP units, a 1/3″ sensor and a ƒ/1.9 aperture. There has been no word on what the pixel size will be at this stage.

You should go ahead and get a Samsung. Just don't expose that powerful lens to direct sunlight or the incredible focusing power may cause the battery to explode! At least that's what my "leaks" in the media are saying.

Reactions: imanidiot and HEK

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
Let me just say ahead of time, I have a lot to respond to.

Maybe. But why not at the very least match what the competition is doing for almost $700? Apple are milking the brand to the max at the moment. No innovation effort at-all. So sad.

What is the competitor? The iPhone camera performs just as good and sometimes worse or better in other conditions. Milking a brand that they see as a market that is well within the ecosystem they provide. What innovation are you specifically talking about? I'm sorry I don't follow, the "facts" you will come up with are either half baked or are inferior to their counterparts.

It should be. Apple says its best thing about the iPhone is the camera. All of those shot on iPhone commercials are everywhere. We don't see shot on Samsung note or S7 yet that phone has a much better camera. I just wish that apple used the same or better. As a pro photographer, I want my iPhone camera to be great. Those of you that aren't photographers can care less. You guys mostly take snap shots for Facebook and Instagram. I want my iPhone to perform like my DSLR, I realize it can't match it, but at least apple can try. I just hate the aggressive noise reduction and watercolor look seen in medium ISO levels. Bigger optics mean more light grasp and higher resolution.

I use my iPhone for three things: photography, web browsing, and texting. I'm not a gamer, nor do I play Pokemon go!

They take great photos for a cell phone, they create commercials (take note, commercials, you know how those are made to overhype everything, lets get real). It's an advertising campaign. You, as a "Pro" photographer expect a cellphone lens to create your career? Once again let's get real here. Want your phone to perform like a DSLR, last DSLR I had was a 7D, years ago, trust me it was 10x what the iPhone camera is. If you're a pro, you'd know. Do you see the lens size on the iPhone versus your DSLR? Are you just being delusional for the sake of it?

Cmon. Apple HEAVILY promotes the superiority of the camera. And they run commercials showing off the amazing photos possible. And they brag about how people are replacing their cameras with the iPhone. And the amazing Apps available make the iPhone an all-in-one photo studio. So how is it that pointing out Apples very slow progress with lenses is suddenly unnecessary whining.

Just like in so many other areas, Apple can do much better than what they've been churning out lately.

Slow progress right, well there have been cameras that are far ahead of what iPhone offers. However, have those lasted? Have they adapted to the marketplace? I don't think so. People want the package, not the ***** CPU specs or the RAM or the f stop. Do you not get that?

The iPhone is literally the flagship of flagships, no bull, it is. I'm sorry.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

You're a pro photographer and use an iPhone for your professional shots? o_O

Reactions: imanidiot

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Apple overall has better dynamic range, color balance and doesn't blow out the sky as much as the competition, imo.

The iPhone camera performs just as good and sometimes worse or better in other conditions.

Have either of you even seen a picture taken with a Galaxy S7? I'm pretty sure you have not because the difference in clarity, sharpness, contrast and especially dynamic range is infinitely better. Sorry guys, the S7 is not a perfect package for sure but this one part of makes the iPhone look like a kids toy. It's funny though how certain you are in your statements which are completely false.

Reactions: ABC5S

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
Have either of you even seen a picture taken with a Galaxy S7? I'm pretty sure you have not because the difference in clarity, sharpness, contrast and especially dynamic range is infinitely better. Sorry guys, the S7 is not a perfect package for sure but this one part of makes the iPhone look like a kids toy. It's funny though how certain you are in your statements which are completely false.

The vast majority of people aren't very objective, nor do they spend the time to do meaningful comparisons of their own.

Reactions: pixel_junkie

2010lexus

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2013

Well as a PRO photographer to, I do know it's not all about the camera. If you can't take good or great pictures with the iPhone 6s or 6s+ well then it could be something else besides the camera. The iPhone will never perform like a DSLR. You should know that.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
You'll get lots of laughs, trust me. Pro photographer using the iPhone as his main device? LMAO.
Nobody said main device. The idea is that photographers who know how to make good photos can do much more with their iPhones if the specs were higher. It's not an unreasonable request or an idiotic discussion topic. It's the real world for some people. You just don't want the conversation to exist because you'd rather be angry at the world for not being as complacent as you are.

Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head. It's just a discussion on a discussion board so relax.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes, that's why I posted what I did. I guess you think blown highlights are a good feature.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.