Why are cows funny?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Cows in cartoons, cow songs, cows in flash animations, cow jokes, cows in ad campaigns, cow hats, cow stories, cow costumes, cow tipping, cow Halloween calendars, ...

Why are cows automatically funny? Which of their characteristics make them so uniquely humorous among all the animals in the world?

Applespider

macrumors G4
They're just inherently a-moo-sing :p

Seriously, possibly because they are large and clumsy-looking and generally look pretty vacant? So anything that casts them as dumb and stupid works and anything that casts them as dangerous or intensely clever seems edgily funny?

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
They're just inherently a-moo-sing :p

Seriously, possibly because they are large and clumsy-looking and generally look pretty vacant? So anything that casts them as dumb and stupid works and anything that casts them as dangerous or intensely clever seems edgily funny?
Agreed. They are udderly large, ridiculous, and harmless behemoths. Plus, they take the attention off the really baleful of the bunch --- sheep (see sig).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
They are udderly large, ridiculous, and harmless behemoths.
Udderly. :)

Giraffes are also large, ridiculous, and harmless, but they don't cause quite the chuckles that cows do. Perhaps cows have the advantage of being common, domestic, and farm animals.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Okay, I'm done here. You guys can yak all you want...I'd rather ruminate on more important things.