Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Damn, spent 40 minutes reading this thread!

You guys are just going in circles. Obviously we have Mac supporters and PC supporters. The thread asked WHY they are expensive, not which OS is better, not which laptop is better, nor what you should by. Just wanted to note this since this is a heated argument turning into a "is MBP/any Apple laptop worth buying". Dont get me wrong, I learned a lot from you guys but were getting to the point where people are going on the offensive and others are defensive.

Honestly this "debate" is kind of silly anyhow. If you need/want a macbook/pro and are rich - then they don't seem overpriced to you - because you are rich. If you need/want a macbook/pro and you are not rich - then they obviously seem overpriced compared to the competition. It would probably be revealing if you categorised the above posts by income. Maybe everyone should post their income before giving an opinion ? What no volunteers ?? Over-priced is a relative concept. Thread will continue to go around in circles.

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
Apple will have you believe that they're making their profit on the MBP by high dealing in volume sales; one dollar profit per MBP. If they charged one dollar less, they'd be giving it to you. You people need to have more compassion and understanding for a company that's barely scraping by.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Truth is everytime apple releases a laptop or desktop, it hands down beats all competition in terms of software benchmarks. I mean what good is all the latest hardware under the hood if it is still giving a lower benchmark when compared to the mediocre hardware in a macbook as you would say.

Sources please....

Everything I have seen shows it to be mixed. Yes, Safari beats IE, but was basically tied with Chrome on a box running Windows 7 in boot camp. Various applications produce various results but I have never seen a clear winner ever. It is best tool for the job at this point.

Here is one done by a professional photo studio last year and they just couldn't get behind Apple any more.

https://www.slrlounge.com/lightroom-mac-vs-pc-speed-test-4k-imac-vs-4k-custom-pc-performance-test/

Again, I like Apple, but they are slacking and not very innovative any longer. I'm beginning to wonder if their time is about over.

Reactions: No. 44 and raqball

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
This has been going on for quite a while, the 2016 MBP just made it worse. It all started around the introduction of the first Retina MBP back in 2012. At first I thought it was just because of the hi-res display, and that the prices would come down eventually.

Back in 2010 I bought a 13" MBP for 1200€. I thought that was great value for a Mac. I guess those days are gone for good.

Reactions: raqball

Queen6

macrumors G4
Sources please....

Everything I have seen shows it to be mixed. Yes, Safari beats IE, but was basically tied with Chrome on a box running Windows 7 in boot camp. Various applications produce various results but I have never seen a clear winner ever. It is best tool for the job at this point.

Here is one done by a professional photo studio last year and they just couldn't get behind Apple any more.

https://www.slrlounge.com/lightroom-mac-vs-pc-speed-test-4k-imac-vs-4k-custom-pc-performance-test/

Again, I like Apple, but they are slacking and not very innovative any longer. I'm beginning to wonder if their time is about over.

Apple are very far from declining, equally Apple is clearly putting the minimum effort into the Mac, with it becoming more and more a compromised fashion orientated lineup. Myself and many others I know are actively moving away from Apple as a direct result, some marking time, others already switched to more productive hardware...

Q-6

Alphonsus

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2017
Massachusett
Honestly this "debate" is kind of silly anyhow. If you need/want a macbook/pro and are rich - then they don't seem overpriced to you - because you are rich. If you need/want a macbook/pro and you are not rich - then they obviously seem overpriced compared to the competition. It would probably be revealing if you categorised the above posts by income. Maybe everyone should post their income before giving an opinion ? What no volunteers ?? Over-priced is a relative concept. Thread will continue to go around in circles.
Dont think you have to be rich, however it all depends on your budget and what YOU think laptops should be. Some people have always buy laptop under $1000 some under $1500. Very few have went above $1500 or even to the $2000 range. Above $1500 would be the premium laptops, not that premium laptops isn't always about the hardware or software it is also about the build quality. The Razer Blade is a good example for PCs

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This has been going on for quite a while, the 2016 MBP just made it worse. It all started around the introduction of the first Retina MBP back in 2012. At first I thought it was just because of the hi-res display, and that the prices would come down eventually
Not for nothing, but my 2012 rMBP is still going strong, and I feel that I've gotten my money's worth. That's the deciding factor for me on any major purchase. Will I get value for my money.

If I opt for a MBP, I have to purchase additional equipment to get my job done, nothing major but it does add up and it does increase the complexity of what I need to pack (read this as possibly forgetting a dongle).

I have questions on some of the components of the MBP that I hope get answered with this refresh, specifically the keyboard, though I don't think they'll explicitly state that they fixed any problems because no executive doing a media event will say their product was prone to breaking.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Dont think you have to be rich, however it all depends on your budget and what YOU think laptops should be. Some people have always buy laptop under $1000 some under $1500. Very few have went above $1500 or even to the $2000 range. Above $1500 would be the premium laptops, not that premium laptops isn't always about the hardware or software it is also about the build quality. The Razer Blade is a good example for PCs

Well apparently I guess we all don't value our money.

I am not rich. The MacBook Pro is worth it to me. How the hell is that not valuing my money? So I need to get something cheaper but cause my workflow to be slower, thus resulting in slower jobs and slower income as a result? Get real guys. You are in no way allowed to say that someone doesn't value their money. You can say that about ANYTHING.

Reactions: JMacHack

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Well apparently I guess we all don't value our money.

I am not rich. The MacBook Pro is worth it to me. How the hell is that not valuing my money? So I need to get something cheaper but cause my workflow to be slower, thus resulting in slower jobs and slower income as a result? Get real guys. You are in no way allowed to say that someone doesn't value their money. You can say that about ANYTHING.

Come on, nobody said you don't value your money, you simply inferred that. What we are saying is that the Mac line is simply over priced. As I said before, if the computer works for you then by all means stick with it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Come on, nobody said you don't value your money, you simply inferred that. What we are saying is that the Mac line is simply over priced. As I said before, if the computer works for you then by all means stick with it.

From AgentAnonymous

There's a difference between expensive and overpriced. That's the mistake you're making.

You clearly do not value your money then which explains why you continue to defend overpriced things. That's more than the cost of both operating systems combined.

You clearly do not value your money

Nobody said that really? This site is just getting to be a flamewar constantly it seems.

Reactions: daflake

Alphonsus

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2017
Massachusett
Again, the computer is all personal preference, some people buy a $1500 computer but what they do could be accomplish by a $1000 or less computer.

Also when it comes to computers over $1500 people will notice your computer...for the most part. I feel like this is mostly true for the Macbook Pro. For the common person everyone knows about Apple but also know their pricing is high. The MBP for some is a luxury item. If you have the new MBP w/touch bar it shows you have money(not always true though). People think your better if you have the MBP. If you get a Dell XPS 15 or a HP Spectre 15($1500 version) unless you know your tech you don't think that the person spent $1500 on that computer whereas everyone knows the price of the MBP whether it is the non TB or TB version.

The valuing your money is personal preference. You cannot tell other people that they don't value their money. The word VALUE itself is opinionated. If you had the Razer Blade a gamer would value it and would justify the cost of it for being a sleek gaming laptop. However a normal person would think its a waste of money or its too much.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Back when I got my current machine, I priced it out and concluded that if I could buy a MacOS license for $1,500 and run it on non-Apple laptop hardware with reasonable support, that would be a better deal for me than either Apple's hardware or non-MacOS.

Sadly, I can't.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
What mess? I haven't noticed any issues. I agree, MacOS is better than Windows 10 in a lot of ways, but I like Windows 10 and it's closed the gap for me for a switch back to Windows.

And? That is how valuable macOS is to me. I upgraded 4 licenses to Windows 10 for free and purchased several licenses totaling around $900. Windows 10 has become such a massive mess with the latest updates it is ridiculous. That is why every one I know is satisfied and does not feel that Macs are overpriced because of the OS that completely destroys Windows 10. What gives you the right to say I do not value my money?

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I don't know where I can find a Windows 10 version that isn't a flaming dumpster fire, can one of you guys help me? Apparently I haven't been looking hard enough.

montanaco

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2016
Macbook's have always been the more expensive machines. They've also lasted the longest, almost always validating their value.

Also, because I'm annoyed of seeing nonsensical points in these threads, who is really spending $100+ on dongles? When you can get converters for under ten bucks on Amazon, and my USB C dock I bought for my TB MBP cost about 40 bucks. And about the machine being "SO" underpowered...I use mine for video editing, graphic design, photo editing and music production literally every single day and it's never hiccuped. You guys act like this is a Chromebook from 2011 or something.

I'm all for conversations where we criticize Apple's decisions and price points, but do so with validity, not stubborn and blind insulting.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
What mess? I haven't noticed any issues. I agree, MacOS is better than Windows 10 in a lot of ways, but I like Windows 10 and it's closed the gap for me for a switch back to Windows.

Check post #136. I provided a list. And that was on numerous computers at work and at home.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I don't know where I can find a Windows 10 version that isn't a flaming dumpster fire, can one of you guys help me? Apparently I haven't been looking hard enough.

Apparently not as Windows 10 and OS X are both part of my revenue stream with Windows 10 being the more stable these days. I don't state this as I dislike Apple, just how it is...

If Windows 10 was as bad as many portray I wouldn't touch it, however that's not the case. My last purchase was a Windows notebook, paid for itself, software, everything in the first day of professional use, and it's priced right up there with the MBP.

Next project requires a powerful portable solution, same is likely to apply. I don't love Windows, equally if it works, if it presents few issues, I am good with it. Sadly Apple is trapped in mediocrity driven by being ever thiner at all costs, serving the base consumer where just 80% is good enough...

Q-6

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009

The only decent one really is the LTSB versions that require partnerships or enterprise agreements with software assurance. The reason why I think that is the better one is that it is what Windows 7 was. If things worked on it now, it will be stable for a few years. All these new features cause Windows 10 to be extremely buggy.

Reactions: JMacHack

Alphonsus

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2017
Massachusett
Ah yes, welcome to MR where the disillusioned and fanboys battle each other over specifications, opinions are rife and logical fallacies are everywhere. Look hard enough and you will find the few that are not claiming to be better than the entire company of Apple and actually backing up their claims with factual rather than anecdotal evidence. Otherwise, just enjoy the show!
Yeah, I find that there really is no "PC is superior than Mac" or "Mac is superior than PC". Both have their pros and cons. The pros and cons for some may be different depending on the usage of the computer OS.

Last edited:

HatMine

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
C:/
The Macbooks have the complete package in my book, and that's what you're paying for. Companies like Dell may be coming close with product like the XPS 13, but the build quality and thermal management is not up to Apple's standard, not to mention the SSD speeds. If you want to see an overpriced product, look at the Lenovo Carbon x1 series.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the amazing Macbook trackpads.

Alphonsus

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2017
Massachusett
The Macbooks have the complete package in my book, and that's what you're paying for. Companies like Dell may be coming close with product like the XPS 13, but the build quality and thermal management is not up to Apple's standard, not to mention the SSD speeds. If you want to see an overpriced product, look at the Lenovo Carbon x1 series.

Agree, its the small things that they do too their computer that makes it so they can increase the price. From the track pad, thermal management, speakers, hinges, fast SSD, and overall build quality.

Not to say, they have a very good customer service, I am sure its not perfect but it is one if not the best out of the other companies.

Reactions: HatMine

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Macbook's have always been the more expensive machines. They've also lasted the longest, almost always validating their value.

Also, because I'm annoyed of seeing nonsensical points in these threads, who is really spending $100+ on dongles? When you can get converters for under ten bucks on Amazon, and my USB C dock I bought for my TB MBP cost about 40 bucks. And about the machine being "SO" underpowered...I use mine for video editing, graphic design, photo editing and music production literally every single day and it's never hiccuped. You guys act like this is a Chromebook from 2011 or something.

I'm all for conversations where we criticize Apple's decisions and price points, but do so with validity, not stubborn and blind insulting.

Mac's don't last any longer than any other premium laptop else you would not need AppleCare :) They do tend to fair better than most in the 1st year but that's under standard warranty already :rolleyes:

My in-laws have a graveyard of Mac's and equally PC's as they tend to end up with our old units.

We have yet to longer term test Apples newer construction methods and designs like Touchbar and newer KB's so you may be a little premature :D

Some of us have been using USB-C a little longer than just with a MBP so we are easily over the $100 for dongles etc others may wish to match their premium MBP with equally quality dongles etc that are original OEM parts

"Underpower" comment to subjective to comment on validity :)

Reactions: raqball and Queen6

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009

- Thermal management: Apple sucks. Sorry.
- SSD speeds: you do realise there are other manufacturers who offer similar speeds? The Samsung 960 Pro SSD is an example
- X1 Carbon: You never buy these at retail price. There are always coupons flying around. For example, I recently used a 35% coupon on the Thinkpad line
- Trackpads: While Apple still reigns in this area, the Precision trackpads are not bad at all. In fact, having used both of them, I cannot subjectively say why the Apple's trackpads are better; the difference is that narrow now. In fact, I am not sure if I am suffering from an unconscious bias towards the Apple trackpads due to years of conditioning.

The only thing Apple has over Microsoft today is OSX...IMO
[doublepost=1496446933][/doublepost]
Mac's don't last any longer than any other premium laptop else you would not need AppleCare :) They do tend to fair better than most in the 1st year but that's under standard warranty already :rolleyes:

My in-laws have a graveyard of Mac's and equally PC's as they tend to end up with our old units.

We have yet to longer term test Apples newer construction methods and designs like Touchbar and newer KB's so you may be a little premature :D

Some of us have been using USB-C a little longer than just with a MBP so we are easily over the $100 for dongles etc others may wish to match their premium MBP with equally quality dongles etc that are original OEM parts

"Underpower" comment to subjective to comment on validity :)
Yeah. I am yet to own a single MBP that lasted for a full 3 years. The 2015 that I currently have might do the trick because I did not buy the one with the graphic card this time.

For the current 2016, I hear the heat is mucking up the keyboard? Keys getting stuck or loosing their responsiveness. There is a whole other thread about the keyboard failures. There is a thread on graphic glitches as well. This could be software but knowing Apple's history, who knows?

It will be interesting to see how reliable this gen is in the next few years...

And I also think Apple knows there is something wrong with this. Else, why would they upgrade it so soon? Surely they don't really care that they are behind the processor curve? All these years, they never did cause the improvements are so small. So why are they updating? I just think it is their sly way of fixing the bugs with these machines. A recall would be too expensive and tarnish their image excessively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.