Why are most people selling their iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by krewelement394, Jan 19, 2011.

1. krewelement394 macrumors regular

krewelement394

Hmm.... why are a bunch of people selling their ipads out of a sudden? is there a newer model coming soon?

2. sdbforthewin macrumors newbie

probally. if you look closely enough at the top of the ipad you can see a small hole which is the perfect size for a camera. it's a perfect fit for the one inside the ipod touch 4g and the iphone's cameras. ;) :D :apple:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, rumors are rampant that apple will release the iPad 2 in the april (or summer) time frame and if they sell now before its released, they'll maximize their return

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The downside to selling early is that you have to live without an iPad until the new one is released.

6. baummer macrumors 6502a

Probably in anticipation of the iPad 2 which should be announced and released within the next 6 months. The iPad was first announced in January of 2010 and released in April of 2010. Given that it's approaching the 1 year mark (end of January), a lot of people are speculating, based on Apple's past approaches to product updates, that the iPad 2 announcement will be any day now and that it will be released on a similar timetable.

7. irDigital0l Guest

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I'm skipping the iPad 2, got 2 free iPads for Christmas and I'm getting an iPhone 4 for verizon.

8. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why are 'most people' ?????

Generalize much ????

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

While the iPad 2 will almost certainly have a front facing camera, what you see on your current iPad is just the ambient light sensor.

11. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Yep... ~7 million iPads on eBay and craigslist now... :rolleyes:

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

Apple sold 14.8 million, so "most" would be at least 7.41 million.

13. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

14. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

If Apple sold 14.8M and there are 7.1M on eBay, that would mean almost half of all iPads purchased were bought for resale.

No wonder our state treasury is broke...nobody is paying sales tax on all those iPads purchased!!!!

Meh, I'm slumming it with a rooted Nook Color until the new one is released. I've really not missed it as much as I thought I would once I realized that web surfing is better on my notebook and book reading is better on my Kindle or Nook Color. My sales guys still make good use out of them as portable, wireless monitors for sales demonstration purposes, however. I guess the novelty just wore off for me.

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

"most people" live in China and do not even own iPads.

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I could never do that so I've decided to give my existing iPad to my wife.

I'm sure he's just referring to the rash of FS here and on e-bay. Nowhere near most. Just tech flippers.

Cheers,

17. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Keeping mine...worth more to me than "buyers"

18. JAG77 macrumors member

How is it possible that you can post a thread on here if you don't even read the news posts... This thread should be deleted just because you asked that.. I hope your trying to be funny.

Very nice. ;)

19. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

There's like six tech dorks who need the newest iPad the moment it comes out, but are too broke to be able to afford it who sold theirs. Normal humans haven't.

20. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

21. JAG77 macrumors member

LOL
    haha funny, Im waiting for the verizon ipad..

22. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Keeping mine as well. I will own both ipad 1 and 2.

23. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Except for the fact that you are talking about past product LAUNCHES such as the original iPhone and of course this years new iPad, and not updates. When was the last time Apple ever told us months ahead of time they were going to "update" their product? uhh pretty much never. My bet is they will announce it in either february or march and it will ship within a week or two.

24. jaylay0707 macrumors member

I'm tempted to upgrade to iPad 2, but I'm kind of sentimental about my "first iPad."

25. mariocapo macrumors member

I sold mine this past week because I use it less and less every day. I use it less mainly because I got an insane deal on a new 13" MacBook Air on craigslist. I love the iPad for web browsing, but at the same time I hate the browser limitations. I don't like it not supporting flash and also the ****** amount of ram limiting the number of open pages I have. And I wanted to get the most money I could selling before a new model comes out. I don't even know if I want another iPad but at least I've had it since launch and only sold it for a hundred less than I paid (not counting tax). I don't really miss it that much to be honest. Besides, I got more than my money's worth out of it in the past almost 10 months.

I kept the first generation iPhone for sentimental reasons and because it was such an important device in the tech world that I didn't see a point in selling it. But this thing I don't think I will mind that I sold. Don't get me wrong it's an incredibly beautiful device and might be just as important of a device in the tech world in the long run. I mean it has started a Tablet revolution. But it's just too limited for my taste. My iPhone 4 gives me my iOS fix for now. And I feel like we're gonna see real improvements in tablets in the near future. Just look at the Xoom running Honeycomb and the soon HP/Palm tablets. Apple is gonna step up their game soon and topple them.

There's my two cents.