Why are people still buying iPhone 6+ full retail on Craigslist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015

Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Am I missing something here? I listed my plus for 1100 on local craigslist and this guy is adamant to buy it from me. Is it weird that he wants to buy it so bad when you can personally get one in the store now for the same price. He said he doesn't drive and wants to meet up at McDonald's. Is there something I should be aware of or missing?

2. Paco II macrumors 65816

They've possibly bought as many iPhones as Apple will allow them to.

3. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

The guy doesn't have a car but can afford a 1100 iPhone?

4. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Correction: he says he don't drive. Not that he doesn't have a car but he doesn't drive. See that's what I'm saying is there any red flag here

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well for a transaction of that magnitude I would probably prefer to meet at a bank to verify the cash is real. If his money is good then I wouldn't care what his reasons are for paying so much. I'd give up my 6+ right now for $1100 in a heartbeat.

6. pkmoazzam macrumors newbie

Why not? Since you want to sell it and they want to buy it. You are authorized where you want to meet up. People who doesn't have cars that doesnt mean they don't have money, could be many reasons why people don't have cars, Its your chance and risk. Try to think first and use it since you have a brain, why waste brain if you don't use it if not, give it someone who needs it. :) just kidding but seriously it's fine and tell them where you want to meet up unless it's a safe place to sell, like Starbucks or at police place. :)

----------

And that too. :)

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, he sure has the drive to buy it from you.

I don't have any experience with CL, but based on what I've heard, you price it higher expecting the buyer to haggle it down. Looks like that didn't happen here so you have reason to be suspicious of this transaction.

Do it at a better place than McDonald's like a bank where you can deposit the money and see if it's good. Don't settle on a location close to him just because he claims not to drive.

8. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Exactly. No haggling and he's paying full listing price. I just find it weird why he wants my phone so bad. How can I tell the money is real? What if he try my phone and ran away with it.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is why people are telling you to meet at a bank. Not gonna lie, someone offering $1100, no car, and wants to meet at McDonald's is probably going to mug you.

10. pkmoazzam macrumors newbie

Find a surveillance camera inside and report it if stolen. :)

11. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Tell him to meet at your bank and once the money is verified, he can have the phone.

If he doesn't go with that - turn away.

12. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I'd pass on the deal. Too many red flags. Plus of all the listings, he is pressing you to sell yours to him? Better safe than sorry!

13. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I know man

14. pkmoazzam macrumors newbie

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

That's pretty much the bottom line. I agree. This should be the terms or you walk.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Meet him at a bank that has armed security. If he agrees, he just wants a phone and may be blacklisted at your local Apple Store for buying bulk. ;)

If he refuses, he's a scammer.

He may start to haggle in person. Be prepared for that.

17. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Not having a car is not the same as not being able to afford a car. Could be a million things.

When I sold my 17-inch macbook pro maxed out it was a similar scenario and that was like $3K.

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Maybe he has no need for a car? I know many people who live in downtown Chicago and don't own a car because it's not worth it. They either take a cab or walk, and it just cost too much money to park in downtown Chicago.

19. 617aircav Suspended

So why did you list it at that price to begin with?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wear a vest and bring a few friends with you wandering around as lookouts.

21. pat park macrumors 6502a

This sounds totally legit and nothing to worry about. You probably won't be getting any money for your iPhone6+ though...

22. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It's the willingness to grossly over-pay plus not having a car :)

He could have a cab take him to someone selling the phone much cheaper.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You can tell the money is real by buying a cheap pen to check the "paper".

As far as him running with your phone, that can literally happen anywhere. The responses to that are: try and catch/stop him, or don't.

I am not saying it's 100% BS, but if you CAN buy the phone in store it seems strange. Maybe it is the simple fact that he doesn't drive. I don't know where you are, but is there zero public transit there? Story seems odd but not completely implausible.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wish it was as simple as running that counterfeit marker across the bill.
    I came across 4 fake 20's this week that pass the marker test but are 100% fake.