Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
McDonald's? lol

People can't even sound halfway legit in their scams. At least say, "I don't drive and let's meet at the Starbucks." That would have made me think a little bit more at first.

If it is even remotely legit, paying cash could just mean the person wants to avoid sales tax. Or, it could mean the person is involved in illegal activities and doesn't want to be taped buying it in the store. People involved in illegal activities do tend to be a little more paranoid.

a.guillermo

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2015
McDonald's? lol

People can't even sound halfway legit in their scams. At least say, "I don't drive and let's meet at the Starbucks." That would have made me think a little bit more at first.

If it is even remotely legit, paying cash could just mean the person wants to avoid sales tax. Or, it could mean the person is involved in illegal activities and doesn't want to be taped buying it in the store. People involved in illegal activities do tend to be a little more paranoid.

Paying cash means the person doesn't want to be given a check that's going to bounce. Cash is 100% certain. When I'm on craigslist, I never use anything other than cash.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Am I missing something here? I listed my plus for 1100 on local craigslist and this guy is adamant to buy it from me. Is it weird that he wants to buy it so bad when you can personally get one in the store now for the same price. He said he doesn't drive and wants to meet up at McDonald's. Is there something I should be aware of or missing?

I don't get it, why are you listing your iPhone and then you're surprised people reply to your ad?

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
People are just way too paranoid these days. I've bought and sold about 40 iPhones on Craigslist over the years and haven't had one bad experience. I've met people at Verizon and Sprint stores, McDonalds, Hardees, the food court at local malls. 99.9 percent of transactions are honest.

The bottom line is that this situation is just too worrisome for some people. I have friends like this. I sell their phones for them. Try something like Swappa if you don't like meeting people face to face.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
People are just way too paranoid these days. I've bought and sold about 40 iPhones on Craigslist over the years and haven't had one bad experience. I've met people at Verizon and Sprint stores, McDonalds, Hardees, the food court at local malls. 99.9 percent of transactions are honest.

The bottom line is that this situation is just too worrisome for some people. I have friends like this. I sell their phones for them. Try something like Swappa if you don't like meeting people face to face.

People are not paranoid. Blacklisted phones are a real thing.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Meet at a police department. In front of the building.

If OP is still procrastinating, that is. Thread is a few months old. OP WHAT HAPPENED?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Meet at a police department. In front of the building.

If OP is still procrastinating, that is. Thread is a few months old. OP WHAT HAPPENED?

Back on page 3 he said that he ignored the guy and ended up selling on ebay.

I'm really not sure why this thread got resurrected.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Back on page 3 he said that he ignored the guy and ended up selling on ebay.

I'm really not sure why this thread got resurrected.

I kept the phone and now I'm on 4s. Haha. Now that I think about it, maybe I should use the plus again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.