Why are some members SO RUDE?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by JennaLDS, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I know that not everyone is going to like you, or the things you post, but why on EVERY thread I have started are people so rude? If you go to my profile and read some of the posts under the "Funny Counterfeit Story" thread I started, everyone is EXTREMELY rude. If you don't like what someone posts, then don't reply back! Is it that hard? I just cant figure out why on threads, instead of stating opinions, or helping matters, members decide to trail off on criticizing the thread starter, or how they spell or their last name, or saying that their post is a POS. Get off your high horse!! Just because I am not a Demi Goddess does not mean that I am stupid or that I don't know what I am talking about.. I thought this forum was for people to ask questions, of get help.. not for them to be criticized with every post. Who gave you the right to put people down, IMHO YOU are beneath me in every standard possible, just for putting your self above others. And this is not for EVERY member it is for the ones that cant keep their rude comments to their selves.

But honestly, why are people so RUDE on here??:eek:

2. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I know exactly what you mean. It's basically the one thing that prevented me from joining this forum - the extraordinarily rude members that think just because they've been here a couple years and have more posts that they automatically get to be bitchy, smug and shoot down everyone. If I could name the members that piss me off the most, I think I would list them here and curse them out individually...

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

This is the Internet. No one is here to be nice to anyone.

It's kinda sad. Funny as a social experiment though.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

'Tis a shame. But you learn to ignore the rude ones after a while...that's what the "Ignore" button is for. :p

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is no need for rudeness, Demi-Goddess or not. Incidentally, I don't think becoming a Demi makes you any wiser...

6. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

The only reason I threw that one out there, is I was reading some guys thread, and everyone was saying some pretty hurtful things,and then a demi goddess said something, that I thought was way out in left field, wayyy more off than the original thread starters question, and people either agreed with her, or didn't say anything negative..

Its hard to ignore the rude comments, when all but 1 comment on the thread was rude.. first it started at making fun of the fact i do this, "...." what is that of any ones business, then people telling me that my thread was "sh**" and then making fun of my last name. The thread was locked ( i am assuming because of the comments) but anyway.:(

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Generally, people on the internet are jerks, well, the majority are. There's huge amounts of psych / behavioral study involved as to why - but I find this is the best summary.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1907543
    ;)

8. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Real life bullies don't become mannerly merely by becoming computer owners and gaining access to the internet. In fact, it's just the opposite: normally civil people with repressed personalities find release behind the mask of anonymity and sometimes get enjoyment joining the pack for a feeding frenzy. Why? Because they can!

Cassie probably has the right idea: just walk away and keep your dignity intact (or in internetspeak, hit ignore).

9. mr.light macrumors 6502

I here you. I've been staying away for some time now for that very reason. It's especially bad when you are asking a question and you get what amounts to as; "What are you stupid? Read the friggin manual!" :cool:

It's a shame really. I used to really enjoy this site.

10. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I think I have found my new favorite video.. This was PERFECT!

Oh no, really I had no clue why.. :)

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Don't need to assume really. The moderator who closed your thread stated that you had already posted your story in another thread. Duplicate posts are against the rules, although a minor problem. Hope that doesn't come across rude.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As being one of the ones that is often "rude." I can say that it is never meant to be hurtful, for the most part I try to be as helpful as I can. Sometimes when giving suggestions, I suggests things that would seem "obvious" and people take those things as me calling the OP "stupid," but it's really not the case. Sarcasm is used sometimes too, and on the internet it's really easy for people to misinterpret the degrees of humor.

With all of that being said, it's the internet. People tend to be meaner and more argumentative. iThink that plenty of users who have tried to contact me in other ways have generally found me helpful and personable, I still have had a "Ban thegoldenmackid" thread created and numerous posters questioning if I ever post anything helpful.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that made my day. Very true and can also be applied to xbox live :)

14. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I dont mind the scarcasm so much, it is the personal insults that I am referring to. I just see no need in all of it.. Ban thegoldenmackid is a little harsh... I would never post a thread like that, no matter how much i disliked a member.. :eek:

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If there are personal insults in a thread that user should be banned. It's blatantly listed in the rules and I would contact a moderator about it. Sometimes people that stalk Spy can read a thread and be frustrated because the same question was asked yesterday or the logical solution is to call Apple. And that leads to people like myself posting things in the not so cheery manner, but still being helpful. Insulting another user is a completely different thing.

17. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

The Internet went downhill after they invited the web. I don't care about the scratch on your macbook, rude language on xbox live, anything on digg or anything with flash in it. Just go away, you're all very tiring.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oh man, that was too funny!:D

19. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not everyone is rude, just most.;) Don't take it personally. After all, this place is a microcosm of society.

At least you can't get shot for not using your turn signal here.:p

As for the demi thing, demi's aren't anything more than contributing members.

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Report posts that break forum rules. There is a Report Post button ([​IMG]) on every post. Moderators can't read every post.

Or, along those lines, people stalk Spy and end up with 10 different threads open, trying to post something helpful - but it can come across as rude, when it may just be hurried or not well thought out.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I agree that it is not the moderator's job to stalk every thread, there are enough problems. But if I recall the OP has had a couple threads where the issue of people being rude has been mentioned. If a thread gets locked it means that the moderator has seen it which likely means that it was reported and therefore the questions of personal insults should be looked at.

I can't really do the ten tabs thing, I just have Spy open. But, I don't rush my posts; I just notice how agitated I get. But, iThink I have gotten better.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If you think MacRumors is a harsh website, well it might be time to hang up the ethernet cord and just live off the grid. Yes, like ever community, we have some members who are less than nice, but as a whole this is BY FAR the nicest, most intelligent, and helpful forum I've ever been on.

Don't let the bad apples ruin the bunch for you.

23. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Aren't there enough people who, despite the idiotic one-liners, do eventually come through and provide substantive answers? Isn't it equally important online to narrow one's community to exclude those who historically contribute nothing positive to your experience by simply hitting "Add XYZyuser to Your Ignore List"?

We do this in real life by shutting down interpersonal interaction with such people. Why not online when the feature is there?

24. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I have been wondering, when you say OP, who does that refer to? What exactly does OP mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.