Why Are Some People So Anti-iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ChocolateApple, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I like watching iPad reviews on YouTube, but the following comments by PEOPLE WHO DO NOT OWN AN IPAD are brutal:

They condemn it for not being as useful or as great a value as laptops.

>> It's not meant to be a laptop.

The say it's overpriced

>> Don't buy one.

They say other netbooks are better.

>> Okay. Don't buy one.

They say it doesn't have a camera.

>> Neither does my TV, but that didn't stop me from buying it. Wait for future versions, geesh.

I could go on and on, but it reminds me of children name-calling. Kids envy the kid with the new toy because the new toy is more popular than THEIR toy. Hence hatred against the iPhone gen 1, etc.

It's juvenile, and I just wanted to get it off of my chest here.

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Some people are usually so anti-something. No difference here. :)

3. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I'm sick of defending iPad on on other forums. Now I just say yes I will go and buy a nice sturdy netbook tomorrow.

Ugh.

4. Elise macrumors 6502

Simply you can't please all of the people all of the time.

5. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Yeah, I know.... I think this is mostly people stuck in the 'PC Paradigm' (or the Apple haters, who you can't fix). If it doesn't have mouse/USB/file system/name other PC things, it's "useless".

When I show my iPad to people, I explain it as a 'media consumption' device. Movies (onboard, Netflix), Websites, Email, Calendar, App Store apps, Pictures (iPhoto, picture frame), News, etc. Never mind that Skype works well. Never mind version 4.0 which should make Google Voice hooked to Skype work *very* well! (If I understand Steve's presentation and the 4.0 details I've seen...)

A lot of people can't move their minds away from a 'PC is a certain thing'.

I've been testing GV and Skype this weekend and it's pretty slick.

6. icameleon macrumors newbie

I guess it's just proportional to the buzz Apple makes about their products. The more they will boast about the "magic" of the iPad you'll find people not finding it magical at all... and let's be honest, first generation iPhones s*cked, I know... I had one! Compared to what it has become now it was really nothing much to boast about... I'm pretty happy with my iPad up till now, but I still can't wait to see what it will actually become... just let the haters hate :)

7. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

This always happens with Apple products, because they place so much emphasis on user experience and less on functionality. It threatens many who either want that long feature list (and also have a lack of understanding that adding such features would inevitable decrease usability) or who resent that others can access technology without having to pay the admission of a knowledgeable technical background.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The only thing dumber than being "anti-iPad" is letting those who are anti-iPad bother you.

9. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

10. Jinkst macrumors regular

People are anti-iPad because alot of people don't see the need for the tablet computer. It's not a laptop, and never will be really if Steve Jobs' comments at the keynote are to be believed as it was brought in to create a device between smartphone and laptop.

Alot of people don't see a use for it, and that's each to their own.

11. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

12. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

This is the age of the internet, where anyone with an IQ over 50 can get online and spew what they want. I tend to ignore it as well as all of the fanaticism that goes on for any product.

13. Mkz macrumors regular

Mkz

Because it doesn't have flash. Hahaha. Funniest argument ever because in case anyone hasn't noticed no one uses flash! It's not like I'm eleven years old and playing on miniclip for gods sake.

14. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

jealous...

they can't afford one....

so they blabber all around.:eek::)

or they think people who buy one, are not intelligent cause it doesn't have a real OS, or camera or any of the common misconceptions.:)

15. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

16. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

I'm not bothered by those who are anti-iPad, because we all have different preferences and needs.

I am bothered by the very high incidents of people who have obviously don't own one, or even by some people who do, and having the audacity to post false information as if they were statement of facts. Seems to be happening a lot around here.

17. SeattleMoose macrumors 65816

Anti-iPad Folks Are Really Just "Anti"

As far as I can tell there are several types of folks out there who routinely cruise these forums throwing out negative comments....

1) The Killjoy - can't stand to see anyone enjoying something that they don't own so they try to "diss" the product. Happiest when everyone else...isn't.

2) Mr Do It Yourself - You know the type, he builds his own computers, he wants maximum flexibility, and he can't stand being "steered like the "herd" into doing things the Apple Way....no way.. .no how...not me!!!!

3) Corporate Assassin - Yes, other companies actually pay people to take competitors products down a notch (Apple probably does it too...it is a corporation thing)

4) Never Happy - some people just like to whine. No matter what you give them it is never good enough or doesn't do exactly what they want it to. But the iPad doesn't.....

5) Blue Meanie - some people are just nasty and mean and hiding behind an alias affords them to ability to be who they really are

6) Smug B@stard - similar to 4) but with the added twist that they like to throw technical terms around and make it sound like every post made by others is made by a drooling neanderthal (usually low self esteem at root of problem). Never responds to folks who they perceive as having more knowledge than themselves.

7) Tidy Organizer - categorizes everything in terms of existing products only. When something comes along that does not fall into existing category, gets defensive and aggressive (e.g. "but I can't run Photoshop on it", "its not a laptop", etc.)

8) The Fixer - thinks that their great idea will be incorporated into next version of iPad. Well maybe if it is truly a "great idea" AND Apple actually reads these forums..

9) Other Side Fanboys - Just like we defend Apple, they defend and attack from the "other side" (MS, Droid, Adobe, Flash, etc.). If paid....see 1)

10) Windbag - writes long winded sophomoric psychology tinged rants......oops....that's me.
    :D

18. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Wrong.

Some people are anti-everything, and you'll find out that those one are the same that were anti-something-else. :D

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Well hey, if your ok with your tablet computer being nothing more then a larger version of your phone, that's on you.

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I can afford an iPad easily. I have played with one and I still think its not a great product.

Ever since the Keynote, I've been disappointed by Apple's lack of amazing first party software on it. There was no killer-app on it. Yes, there is an App Store but I hate to think Apple couldn't come up with a few magically apps themselves.

It's just like when you buy your first Mac. Yes, there are photo-album apps, music creation apps, and movie editing apps I can buy - BUT, I'm glad Apple included the useful iLife suite onto my Mac as I feel that I'm not being nickel and dimed or have to search a 1,000 apps.

Also, it's a supplemental product and not a 'necessity' - it doesn't add anything if you have a phone & laptop. If I don't want to carry any bags or anything with me, I can keep my iPhone in my pocket and still do most of what the iPad has to offer. Also, if I was going to carry around a bag, why wouldn't just bring my MacBook? My MacBook can videochat, download files outside of iTunes, and have more than one window open at a time.

It's not a horrible device if you got it as a gift, but with people being more minimalist with their electronics, I can easily see hate for the iPad.

21. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Even with the some of the short comings, iPad is one of the best product in tablet/slate form.

I guess what Microsoft have been trying for 10+ years (who wants start menu on tablet or a phone?) have been negated by one single product. we can guess where all those negative people are coming from.

22. budfoot macrumors regular

budfoot

Maybe you all can tell me where i fit in.

1. I have enough cash to buy an iPad -- i haven't.
    2. I played with it for 20-30 minutes at the Apple Store.
    3. I have an iPhone and a thinkpad.
    4. I don't see a use for it.

I can't get rid of my laptop, i understand it's not a replacement for that. I'm not going to get rid of my phone. I understand it's not a replacement for that. So, it's really something ELSE i have to carry around and TRY to find a reason to use it.

Apple could have KILLED with this thing. Let me add PPT notes to a PPT slide. Let me open a PDF with my OWN choice of a program. Students would have flocked to this like flies on horses#!T.

23. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

Why do you let it bother you? Most of the comments you posted are true...

1. It doesn't have a file system so it cant upload and download files, it doesnt have flash so it can't use hulu, you are limited to only app store apps, no photoshop or other similiar productivity apps. So yes it's not as useful as a laptop.

2. It costs Apple 250 bucks to make the 16gb iPad they sell it for 500, So yes it is overpriced.

3. A netbook is better if you need to do some real computing or watch hulu etc...See #1, it will just do it a little slower.

4. See number 1 and 3 both laptops and Netbooks have cameras for video conferencing nowadays, it would be useful to have a front facing camera on the iPad.

Alot of these issues will be addressed with v2 of the ipad, just as they were with v2 of the iphone...it's no big deal. People seem to get so bent out of shape over the silliest things. The iPad is a neat device to have for sure, I love mine even with all it's shortcomings, but not everyone is going to agree and I can understand why and respect that. Theres an old saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Well you can also show a horse your ipad but you can't force him to like it!

Who cares what other people think...let it go, as long as you enjoy the device thats all that matters.

24. msavwah macrumors 6502

for those wanting to d/l files and have a file system you can get Goodreader for iPad 99 cents. it can download just about any file you need and do just about anything you want with them. there is a choice for opening a pdf file. thats just one, theres a ******** of stuff out there

for all kinds of other stuff that people want there are apps.
    want a camera? have an iphone? theres an app
    seriously just about everything that people say the iPad doesnt have, it does have in the form of an app on the app store.

so many people think the iPad cant do anything they want it to do, but they are over looking the app store and its growing every day with seemingly no limits.

25. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Most of it comes out of jealousy. To some people, if it doesn't have a retarded Start menu, require Anti-Virus, require Registry maintenance, require the user to spend their entire Friday night tweaking it so it run one or two programs smoothly and/or require endless driver fixes, it's well.....useless. :D