Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah people just don't understand why we bought them and it's the same people who have never seen an iPad.

All they think is that you just bought a giant iPod touch. Im sorry but your iPhone is a computer. It just hides the file directories,

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
It's one thing for you to see it your way, and for me to think something different. We can agree to disagree. What baffles me is when someone sees it your way.
My point exactly. I'm not challenging your statement. To help the OP, would you mind posting your real age? I'm 53, and was just out of college when the Apple II and very first IBM PC showed up.

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
Its very simple and its called ENVY nothing else...

Envious of what? I'm happy that the iPad works for you! Just don't call someone a [fill in your favorite label] because it doesn't suit them.

I think the attitude that "people who don't see the iPad as the 8th Wonder of the World are chiclet-keyboard dragging morons", put forth by some of the iPad supporters, doesn't help matters. :apple:

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
My point exactly. I'm not challenging your statement. To help the OP, would you mind posting your real age? I'm 53, and was just out of college when the Apple II and very first IBM PC showed up.

39. My primary experience is in watching Apple since 2002 when I switched to Macs. Been watching the evolution very closely ever since.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Envious of what? I'm happy that the iPad works for you! Just don't call someone a [fill in your favorite label] because it doesn't suit them.

I think the attitude that "people who don't see the iPad as the 8th Wonder of the World are chiclet-keyboard dragging morons", put forth by some of the iPad supporters, doesn't help matters. :apple:

"Not seeing it as the 8th Wonder" and "trolling" are not the same thing.

NotTempted

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
Estero, Florida
I like watching iPad reviews on YouTube, but the following comments by PEOPLE WHO DO NOT OWN AN IPAD are brutal:

They condemn it for not being as useful or as great a value as laptops.

>> It's not meant to be a laptop.

The say it's overpriced

>> Don't buy one.

They say other netbooks are better.

>> Okay. Don't buy one.

They say it doesn't have a camera.

>> Neither does my TV, but that didn't stop me from buying it. Wait for future versions, geesh.

I could go on and on, but it reminds me of children name-calling. Kids envy the kid with the new toy because the new toy is more popular than THEIR toy. Hence hatred against the iPhone gen 1, etc.

It's juvenile, and I just wanted to get it off of my chest here.

People have more ways to describe their feelings of fear and less ways to describe their feelings of optimism. You don't need to describe or defend your optimism, just be proud that you "get it" and have moved forward from the functional fixedness and fear that they wallow in.;)

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
As I ponder the original Q, it occurs to me I'm not anti-iPad. I'm not even against a few million people buying the first gen. I'd love Apple to feel like: It's a viable product to keep making, and that they need to update it considerably (or lower the price) to keep sales strong. It's also good that a few buyers are taking them back. Apple is a better company when they appear slightly fallible. It reassures me that if 5 million people end up with one there will still be 300 million or so who chose not to buy one (in the U.S.). 2010 Census data not yet available. My Apple stock appreciated your business.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
It's really simple

People are tribal. They're programmed to "not like" things that aren't part of their tribe. People are also generally pretty stupid (half are below average intelligence), and don't understand why they behave they way they do. It's the same way with religion, sports, and politics. Really sad that it extends to consumer products too.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
The only people that strongly oppose the iPad are fullon nerds that enjoy wasting their lives doing something they are not supposed to do.

NotTempted

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
Estero, Florida
People are tribal. They're programmed to "not like" things that aren't part of their tribe. People are also generally pretty stupid (half are below average intelligence), and don't understand why they behave they way they do. It's the same way with religion, sports, and politics. Really sad that it extends to consumer products too.

Agreed, Social/tech programming. Boys wear blue. Girls wear pink. It should have USB ports, run flash, have a disk drive, burn movies, play bluray, lol be a desktop.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
and let's be honest, first generation iPhones s*cked, I know... I had one!

are you insane? my first gen iphone was the greatest electronics purchase I've ever made, no exaggeration. It was worlds ahead of anything else available at the time, and the build quality was incredible (way better than the current iphones, or pretty much any other smart phone for that matter).

anyway, I think there are two reasons people bash the ipad. First, some people just hate apple. Just as some reflexively praise anything apple does, others hate it. I don't know why, but it's undeniable. Second, a lot of people compare the ipad to a netbook and focus on what the ipad can't do. Again, I don't know why; maybe these people see the bad in everything, or maybe they're just too used to a conventional laptop to see something else as useful.

The ipad is a wonderful device for what it's intended for. If you want it to be a laptop, then don't buy it - buy a laptop.

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
In the end who really cares? People buy stuff because they find it valuable to THEM and they shouldn't care what other people think.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
Apple used to make computers, remember that?

Attachments

• 1268682380252.png
    1268682380252.png
    189.4 KB · Views: 307

heavy2healthy

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2009
This is the age of the internet, where anyone with an IQ over 50 can get online and spew what they want. I tend to ignore it as well as all of the fanaticism that goes on for any product.
Amen ! I cant wait to get a 3g one. Im just casual surfing right now with big hot laptop on my lap. I cant wait.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I had a friend that said convince me that it's not a big iPod Touch.

But it IS a big ipod touch. The question is why people think that's a bad thing. The ipod touch is a computer, period. The main limiting factor on its general-purpose use is its size. So making a much bigger (and faster) ipod touch removes the one primary impediment to usability.

The other (related) thing I'll say on this: try using the iphone version of an app and then the ipad version (NYT works well). That pretty much ends the "it's just a big ipod touch" for me.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
I had a friend that said convince me that it's not a big iPod Touch. At that point I realized. I really don't care what other people think. I love my iPad. That's all that really matters. I really don't care at all what other people think. Their loss not ours. In fact because of people like that we don't have the virus, malware, etc problems that Windows has. God bless them. WIthout them we'd have huge problems! Enjoy all of your Apple devices!:apple::D

it is a big iPod touch. But I always wanted a big iPod touch. Whenever I was using it I always thought in the back of my mind wishing for a much larger format.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

Amen.

xtend

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009

+1

rtay

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010

i dont agree with this statement completely. it is really dumb people are fanboys of consumer products, i completely agree with that. Why would you not buy a playstation just because your so loyal to your xbox, or hate windows because it doesnt have an apple on it. thats pretty general though to say people are stupid just because they dont like the ipad. The whole fun in sports is cheering your team and hating anyone who is better or your rivals. Politics is all about getting your voice heard to make america a better place for you. Thats the whole point of politics.

Why cant people just not like the ipad without them being idiots, or anything else you guys are coming up with. I made a thread where i just said i felt like apple missed a huge opportunity to become the leader in computers for the whole next generation of computers. They could have defined the market, everyone wanted them to, and instead they made a huge ipod touch.

this is an apple loving forum, i get it, but that doesnt mean that just because apple made it, its a perfect product. It is a really good, but it has ALOT of room to improve. But apparently that makes me an idiot for realizing that its half baked? If you guys are seriously ok with paying that much money for an internet viewer, then its your money. Doesnt mean your an idiot, or a apple loving fanboy.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
i dont agree with this statement completely. it is really dumb people are fanboys of consumer products, i completely agree with that. Why would you not buy a playstation just because your so loyal to your xbox, or hate windows because it doesnt have an apple on it. thats pretty general though to say people are stupid just because they dont like the ipad. The whole fun in sports is cheering your team and hating anyone who is better or your rivals. Politics is all about getting your voice heard to make america a better place for you. Thats the whole point of politics.

Why cant people just not like the ipad without them being idiots, or anything else you guys are coming up with. I made a thread where i just said i felt like apple missed a huge opportunity to become the leader in computers for the whole next generation of computers. They could have defined the market, everyone wanted them to, and instead they made a huge ipod touch.

this is an apple loving forum, i get it, but that doesnt mean that just because apple made it, its a perfect product. It is a really good, but it has ALOT of room to improve. But apparently that makes me an idiot for realizing that its half baked? If you guys are seriously ok with paying that much money for an internet viewer, then its your money. Doesnt mean your an idiot, or a apple loving fanboy.

I didn't say that people were stupid for not liking the iPad. People are stupid when they don't understand why they behave they way they do.

Your point on sports is exactly my point. People want to cheer their team, and bash the other one. In sports at least, this is ok... As long as it's not taken to extremes. In fact, that's the whole point of being a sports fan. Without tribalism, the whole thing just doesn't work.

Politics ought to be about higher ideals, but watch most political debates... It's mostly about scoring stupid points, few real debates and conversations happen in the political world.

As for consumer products, I see it all the time. It's really bad with high-end camera gear. Not all people are like this, but people who devote considerable effort badmouthing a product they don't like are quite often just pointing a finger at "the other".

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Most of the people who badmouth the iPad are generally people who also have never even touched the device. I'm a firm believer in that if you haven't experienced it for yourself, then your opinion is not valid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.