Why are the software providers not adapting the mac app store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kashyap02004, Sep 24, 2011.

1. kashyap02004 macrumors member

Mac App store is such a convenient way to push out updates.
    I don't know why. Software providers like skype, chrome, firefox, vlc player, and many more... not launching their softwares on the app store?

--Kash.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Possibly because they don't want to give 30% to Apple. I'm glad they're not. I have no intention of ever using the Mac App Store.

3. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

The software the OP mentioned is free, they won't be making any money and apple won't be taking any money.

The reason they are no using the MAS probably has more to do with the approval process and the amount of time it takes for the updates to actually get to the users.

4. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Perhaps because this is a new means of distribution for them, and they're not sure what to make of it. Maybe because they want to receive information about buyers that Apple isn't prepared to divulge to them. Or could be because they think they will make more money charging consumers full price to buy the next retail version when it comes out. And yes, there is the pesky approval process and its associated delays. Finally, there is the maximum $999 price point.

The 30% is not out of line with what other hosting services charge (hosting, advertising, credit card fees etc.), and is considerably less than it costs to ship retail boxes to physical stores, especially given the fact that some inventory may not be sold and gets returned instead. So I think there will eventually be more products sold on the App Store, once developers realize that they will have more sales through this channel.

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

It is next to impossible for open source software to remain "open source" if the only channel to get it is the Mac App Store.

Read this article. It outlines many of the problems developers might run into when publishing software in the MAS.
    Why the Mac App Store Sucks

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

or it's against their license (VLC argues it is).

Make no mistake OP, there are a lot of developers that are flocking to the MAS. It's already having the same money making effect for them as the iOS App Store did/does.

It'll be a while before any big names show up there as they already have advertising and are well known. The MAS is too restrictive for them without providing much of a benefit, if any at all.

7. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Very interesting article, thanks!

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Because they don't need to. I mean, who doesn't know what Skype, Chrome and Firefox are these days? Its not like any potential customers don't know about it.

9. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

The question is not about knowing these softwares. The question is, why are they resisting app store which is so convenient for the consumer?

I am not saying that they should shutdown their websites and only distribute softwares via app store. They can distribute both via website and app store. But why are the big names resisting the app store???

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I don't know that they are resisting per se, but Apple has probably not invited them to join yet personally.

We have seen sales jump by an order of magnitude since changing our distribution to the App Store, however for companies with existing successful distribution channels, changing just for the sake of change is really a waste of time.

-t

11. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Why's that?

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How is "opening a web browser" less convenient than loading the Mac App Store, Logging in for each download, and then being locked to the MAS for updates?

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

As above, I'm curious,too.

As I respect your knowledge and look to your posts for authoritative information - why would you never use the Mac App Store??:confused:

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has to approve the software and the titles mentioned may fail that audit and approval process for various reasons. Besides, what's the advantage for those apps to go to MAS. they're well established and will not gain anything from moving to MAS other then having apple "approve" their apps.

15. MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

Chrome updates in the background. You NEVER need to download an update to Chrome. Check your version once in awhile and you'll see it's changed.

The Mac App stores requires the developer to adhere to a sticky long list of rules with the way the app can interact with the OS. A lot of software had to be stripped of functions or features because of this, and for some things it was minor and fine, and for others it's not.

This is why you'd never see "Candy Bar" allowed in the Mac App store, because it changes the look of OSX and Apple doesn't like you doing that.

Think IOS apps restrictions and then apply it to the Mac apps. The difference is, they can force a developer in IOS since the app store is the only way to install something without jail breaking. A developer isn't crippled this way on the mac.
    ------
    Some people said it's the freeware issue, but the app store is filled with freeware.

Don't forget, Apple also makes certain apps more painful to approve because they don't want you using a browser that isn't Safari or a media player that isn't Quick Time based/iTunes. Nor do they want you using Skype really either because Face Time just works and requires Apple hardware that skype doesn't. Apple has put themselves in so many new areas that compete with developers. With such a large install base these days they can get away with all this hoopla, but if they'd tried it maybe even just 6 years ago, it would have crippled Mac software development. I'm not exactly comparing Apple to Microsoft, but it does have a similar feeling about how they've done certain things in the past couple of years.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a valid question. It's for the same reason I've never bought anything from the iTunes store. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the stores, or that others shouldn't use them. It's my personal preference based in my fierce independence, as I resist the idea of being restricted, forced or even guided toward a single source for music or apps. I know Apple doesn't restrict the purchase of music or software from other vendors, but it's clear that their intent is to be the only source. Lion only being available from the Mac App Store is a case of Apple trying to force people to use the store, which I resist. That means you can't buy Lion without giving Apple credit card and personal information, as opposed to walking in a store and paying cash for it. Is that inherently a bad thing? For many, obviously not. For me, it is. That's one of the reasons I haven't switched to Lion.

I know the iTunes store and the app stores are presented as being all about convenience, but somewhere there's a point at which people give up too much of their privacy and independence for the sake of convenience. I'm not saying where that point is, but for me, I prefer the independence of being able to walk in a store and buy a CD, pay for it with cash and rip it into my iTunes library, with no one knowing what music I have or what I do with it. I understand the music industry wanting to protect against piracy, but I'm very opposed to DRM or anything restricting what I do with something I've bought. I like being able to get software directly from a developer's site, with no single entity being able to catalog all the software or music I have on my computers.

Maybe I've watched too many movies (to be honest, I HAVE watched too many movies!), but I see so many who give up their privacy to sites like Facebook and Twitter without a second thought, or store their credit card info on aggregate shopping sites, making it easier for someone to access their personal data. Even if those site owners are responsible with the data, there have already been numerous cases of such sites being hacked and personal information of thousands or millions being compromised.

I've loved technology, and especially computer-related technology since I was a kid. But I do have a sense that technology can be used against us. I know we all use technology to varying degrees, but I try to keep a sense of caution and balance, avoiding volunteering my personal information when there are more privacy-friendly alternatives available. I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I'm not paranoid or a nut about this. I do banking and pay bills online. I have bought software and other items online. I don't leave my credit card info on file with any vendor, preferring the inconvenience of entering it each time. Again, it's personal preference and not a judgement against the Apple stores.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well, Apple has strict rules for apps, and they might not take too kindly to putting Safari's competition in their own store.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Interesting post.:)

As one who zealously (perhaps fanatically) argues for the need to protect personal privacy in all spheres of life, your comments, for me , are preaching to the choir. I guess my issue is laziness, which I will have to reconsider in the future.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

In the case of VLC player, one of the copyright holders threatened to sue Apple if VLC Player was made available on the app store, so the iPhone version was removed.

In other cases, Apple has quite strict rules what software distributed through the App Store can and cannot do. If software does things that don't fit within the App Store rules, then it cannot be distributed through the App Store.

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

A Less wordy answer:

-Apps with built-in updaters are not allowed (Chrome, Firefox VLC, Spotify etc.)
    -Open source software licences usually require that when software is distributed, it is offered solely without DRM. The Mac App store doesn't allow that (Firefox, VLC)
    -Private API usage is forbidden (restricts how much of the system an App has control over
    -No third-party plugins are allowed as dependencies (e.g. Flash, Java)
    -Apps cannot use kernel extensions or install themselves as a utility (this limits some system utilities)
    -Apps that use their own copy protection or licence agreements are not allowed

21. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

Because for consumers, using MAS comes with the assurance that the apps have been tested by the apple. Also, I don't have to face those annoying software update popups. All I have to do is go to app store once a week to see if I have any app updates.

Thank You,
    --Kash.

----------

That is not true. Opera is already on the app store.

----------

Thank You. People should read this.

Thanks again.

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There is no such assurance.

There's very little to say that an App in the Mac App Store works as advertised or is free of bugs.

23. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

As a consumer, I love the MAS. That's the first place I hit up when I'm looking for something new. I leave it open ALL the time, when my machine boots, I have it open. Apple does test the apps, not for functionality but they do check them for potential issues (virus, trojans, and other things that suck). I love being able to switch machines and then being able to download all of my apps again without having to go search a million places for them.

For me, personally, I love it.

As a developer, different story. It does make it a bit more of a pain in the ass to get software out. There are limitations on what I could do, and I have to pay the fixed 30% where I "might" be able to get a better deal somewhere else.

I'm still going to use the MAS, it is just so damn convenient -- and the wave of the future. Didn't MS say that W8 will have their WAS as the only method of installing software? I thought I read that recently. If so, that's even more aggressive then Apple.

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Not exactly.

They've said that you can only install Apps for the "Metro" UI (the touch focused UI) through the App Store.

All other Applications can be installed as normal using existing methods.

25. applefan289 macrumors 68000