Why buy MAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by frocco, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

Hello,

This is not a flame post, but wanted to share that I just purchased an HP with 9gig DDR3, i7 920 2.66, 1TB 7200 drive, Blu-Ray, ATI 4850 1gig, Bluetooth, TV tuner for about 1420.00+ tax.

That said, I still miss not owning a mac.

Why can't Apple offer prices like this?

Anyway, I am trying it out and need to decide if I should return it and get a mac pro or mbp.

Thanks

Frank

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Your post is absolutely confusing.

There are numerous threads about purchasing a Mac. The main reason is probably the OS.

With that being said, that's definitely something that would be considered flaming and will get the responses.

I'm still confused about what exactly it is that you are missing.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's a nice computer you have there. Windows Media Center handles scheduling and programming quite well on the TV tuner side. Plenty of GPU power as well with the 4850.

What's wrong again?

4. kirreip macrumors regular

enjoy your antivirus. oh and don't forget to search for that printer driver on the internet. By the way, clean the registry on a weekly basis and use the included defragmenter for your "1TB 7200 drive". :p

5. DrunkenMunky macrumors member

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why share what you bought and ask "Why buy MAC"? (it is Mac by the way)

It comes across as picking a fight and asking for responses

I'm happy you have a machine you like
    I wouldn't try to talk you out of it

Move along and just be happy with it
    I am happy with mine

Everyone knows price/specs/etc
    It is a tired discussion

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I haven't seen a consumer full tower from HP in years. Dell sells their base Core i7 tower in a Micro-ATX form factor as well.

Now the Mac Pro puts even the Antec P Series to shame when it comes to weight.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'll add the wood floors to the list of people that love me purchasing a Mac. iThink the KRK RP10s makes up for it though.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd be wary of your wood floors.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They scare me too.

11. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

ok, I guess I should have been slient.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

The other remarks, well...

I was just trying to say that I miss the Mac, even through I have all these nice features.

The mod. can delete this post if it offends.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean. We all wish we could have your specs for your price and OSX. Except Tallest Skill, apparently not a large fan of the Blu-Ray.

13. sbb155 macrumors 6502

No doubt about it, by any analysis the current nehalem macs are significantly over priced compared to the last generation of mac pros. The premium over the price of the processors has increased, and I bet there will be fewer sales. But Mac pros are an insignificant amt of $$ to apple's bottom line, so I dont expect too many changes

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple excels quite well in the notebook and in the dual socket Xeon space. The iMac doesn't scale because it's a laptop on a stick and the Mac mini is a MacBook without a screen.

I've seen the processor premium pop up from time to time when talking about the Mac Pro. Are you talking about the single socket or dual socket systems?

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's probably a black full tower case with an ATX motherboard. Nothing too special there. :confused:

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Kidding me? Sure as the day he has some "wicked" undercarriage lighting, colored, lit-up liquid cooling, and each fan blade strobes a different color out of sync with the rest.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Oh you!

Well all know blue LEDs are the best to cool your machine. :rolleyes:

18. dimme macrumors 65816

Nice machine, with what I see of Windows 7 you should be very happy. I do wish Apple made a desktop computer for the rest of us. The iMac is just a laptop with a big screen and the MacPro is nice but very expensive. (I was luckly to be able to get one as part of a severance package.) IMO Apple is too busy reinventing the mobile phone/app world and leaving the desktop world behind. Having said that lot's of people say the desktop is dead. Not me I need one for photoshop and flight sims.

19. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Apple doesn't sell junk thrown together with the cheapest off the shelf parts.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple sends board schematics to ASUS or Foxconn and everything else attached to the logic board is OEM components like every other manufacturer.

The chassis are nice though.

21. frocco thread starter macrumors 6502

frocco

It is an HP Pavilion Elite e9150t PC

I have not played any Blu-Ray yet.

I was looking at the MBP 17" before this and could not decide on the gloss vs matte screen.

The Mac Pro was the quad for 2499.00 and I was opting for a cheap 24" monitor to cut cost. Aside from the Blu-Ray and extra ram, I think the Mac Pro was built much better, but about 700 dollars more.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, I always liked my HP's though. Never had an HP notebook, but I loved my Media Center PC's...

23. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

There are on-line coupons for -$350 making that base machine ~$800. :D

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...HP+Pavilion+Elite+e9150t&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=21

Looks like an "OK" machine. It's HP's desktop tho so historically that means you can't expect to max out it's spec or install additional power hungry cards. It also usually means that the PSU will die in the 1st 1 or 2 years. :p

But for $800 hey... Why not?

To answer the question: Why buy a Macintosh?

For 2009 models the ONLY reason I can come up with is fanboyism or brand loyalty or maybe because you wish to help pay Steve's medical bills or... you wish to pay $2000 for a really cool case. Buying a 2009 Mac Pro == More money than sense IMHO! For 2008, 2007, and 2006 machines the answer is: Because you can't build them cheaper yourself and no other company even compares.

That's my opinion anyway. :D

24. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

And the floor has a second!

Of course, when you say "build them... yourself", I assume you mean with an Apple logic board! Or at least, that's my intention, I don't exactly want to run Leopard against EULA:D (Lets not get into an EULA discussion)

Personally, a HackIntosh would be cheaper then starting off with an Apple Logic Board, but at the same time one can actually run the install native instead of a random distibution. I understand there are such thing as "Vanilla Installs", but personally I at least want the mobo as Apple. Everything else is third-party or flashed. And then getting it all to fit in a G5 case would probably be an additional epic undertaking!

25. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

No, I meant nearest to identical off-the-shelf parts. I priced this in Q2 2006, in Q4 2007, and in Q2 2008, and by the time you buy all the identical or nearest to identical parts, OS, and etc. you pay just about the same as Apple was originally asking. I suppose these days things are more discounted I dunno. At those times I only compared Apple's current offering - and I only looked at the 2.66 and the 2.8 for each of those years. I was comparing Wintel to Apple tho and not Hackintoshes.

In 2009 a DIY system is less than half what Apple is asking for most models. :( Also other companies offer MUCH better deals compared to Apple now, even if a few companies don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.