Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
This is really stupid, people buy around 1500$ MBA and 2000$ Mbp and they are worried about getting lg screen, apple should not do this to their customers since they already payed for an expensive product. Everybody knows that Samsung makes better quality products, their phones, tvs. Lg is also good but their screens don't work on the Mac as they do with Samsung. If they know the ghosting issues on the lg and lack of color than they should stop using them.
What about they put as an option in the configure page to show which screen they want?
Also with there ssd, some people noted that the ssds have different companies.
Or why can't they just make their own material? (ram, screen) it will make everything easier.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple is no different than any other large scale operation. They must use a few vendors for various components due to the volume of orders Apple must fill.

spdntrxi

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
My LG screen is fine and many others have great LG screens as well.. why the LG hate .. Apple and Samsung are in a legal battle over the iPhone.. companies would kill themselves if they single source. Grow up

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
there has been a large number of people with samsung panels with backlight bleed and dead pixels. panel lottery of biblical proportions. that is all.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm extremely happy with my LG screen. Extremely good uniformity, white is almost perfectly 6500K, no dead pixels, no ghosting, and it has an A-TW polarizer on top of everything. LG is also the only manufacturer of IPS displays currently. The Samsung is probably PLS - which they tout as being a superior alternative, but I'm not convinced (a *lot* of uniformity issues in the desktop variants.. I've also always found that Samsung displays don't have very accurate colors, though I"m not sure if that is the case with the rMBP).

Anyone who has a samsung display - if you have a very dark image in full screen and view your screen off angle, does the screen stay dark? Or do you get some glow?

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Apple has recieved consistent complaints about lg screens, samsung has a few issues but that depends on your luck.

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
How can you tell the difference again? I know there was a thread on it, but couldn't find it. I don't see anything in system information that would make it obvious either.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I don't have any burn-in or discoloration issues on mine with an LG screen. Samsung can't produce enough screens to keep up with Apple's demands. LG uses IPS and Samsung uses PLS, which translates to the difference in brightness. It may also factor in to the burn-in issue, but most if not all displays would suffer from burn-in if left on the same image long enough. It is what screen savers are for.

there has been a large number of people with samsung panels with backlight bleed and dead pixels. panel lottery of biblical proportions. that is all.

QFT. Burn-in dates back decades on TVs. Modern displays still suffer from it.

Apple has recieved consistent complaints about lg screens, samsung has a few issues but that depends on your luck.

Source? Has Apple released the stats?

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012

apple has recieved consistent complaints about lg screens? where did you read that? i mean in contrast to the samsungs? id like to see the data

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010

Actually, MacRumors has received consistent complaints about LG screens. I'm guessing not very many people actually care about LG vs Samsung, and only the people with complaints are going to post online anyway. In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure LG and Samsung are fairly equal in quality, as there are plenty of people happy with their LG screens here, and some unhappy with Samsung.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
couple stupid questions:

who makes the retina screen?

how do you tell if the screen is samsung or LG - i hav e the anti glare screen on the 15"

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
I don't have any burn-in or discoloration issues on mine with an LG screen. Samsung can't produce enough screens to keep up with Apple's demands. LG uses IPS and Samsung uses PLS, which translates to the difference in brightness. It may also factor in to the burn-in issue, but most if not all displays would suffer from burn-in if left on the same image long enough. It is what screen savers are for.

a screen saver wont save elements of programs that remain in the same position for hours while you are working. menus and palettes for example.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Actually, MacRumors has received consistent complaints about LG screens. I'm guessing not very many people actually care about LG vs Samsung, and only the people with complaints are going to post online anyway. In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure LG and Samsung are fairly equal in quality, as there are plenty of people happy with their LG screens here, and some unhappy with Samsung.

A part of me feels the LG vs Samsung complaints are largely due to placebo. I'd be interested to see how many people can tell the difference in an ABX test.

----------

a screen saver wont save elements of programs that remain in the same position for hours while you are working. menus and palettes for example.

Past couple weeks I've been working on a project for 6+ hours every night... many of those hours would be spent using a single program. I haven't noticed any real IR - if it's there, it disappears quickly enough for me not to notice in any legitimate use.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Past couple weeks I've been working on a project for 6+ hours every night... many of those hours would be spent using a single program. I haven't noticed any real IR - if it's there, it disappears quickly enough for me not to notice in any legitimate use.

Then you dont have an IR problem. people that do would easily notice burn in. i got it after 5 minutes, and it was BURNED in.. for 15 minutes.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
couple stupid questions:

who makes the retina screen?

how do you tell if the screen is samsung or LG - i hav e the anti glare screen on the 15"

Samsung and LG split production duties for Apple. Leading IPS and LPS display manufacturers.

There is a thread that explains how. You need to enter a line of characters in the terminal and it will spit out some info.

apple has recieved consistent complaints about lg screens? where did you read that? i mean in contrast to the samsungs? id like to see the data

Me too! Everyone is acting like LG guarantees a burn in. I have had 0 issues. And there are still stories of Sammys with dead pixels and bleeding backlights. You're bound to get duds in any mass production.

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
This is really stupid, people buy around 1500$ MBA and 2000$ Mbp and they are worried about getting lg screen, apple should not do this to their customers since they already payed for an expensive product. Everybody knows that Samsung makes better quality products, their phones, tvs. Lg is also good but their screens don't work on the Mac as they do with Samsung. If they know the ghosting issues on the lg and lack of color than they should stop using them.
What about they put as an option in the configure page to show which screen they want?
Also with there ssd, some people noted that the ssds have different companies.
Or why can't they just make their own material? (ram, screen) it will make everything easier.

Baseless assumptions and conclusions...

Basically, Apple has to honor contracts... LG and Samsung are the primary retina suppliers chosen by Apple, and both had to pass successfully Apple's approval process for mass production...

jivemaster

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011

This.

Seriously, each is prone to manufacturing issues, it doesn't mean they're all trash. I dispute the number of people here who believe they've seen ghosting or image retention on the multiple LG units they got. People are definitely seeing things or are extremely unlucky.

The issues effecting the Samsung panels - like colour problems/inconsistencies and dead pixels, are things users aren't noticing as much so they're not being reported. They're more fixated on knowing if the have a dreaded LG panel.

My LG panel is perfect, no yellow, no image retention.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
People need to stop jumping on these stupid fad "issues." They are not nearly as common as you might believe. What you are seeing is people reading suggestive titles such as "LG display issue RMBP" and subsequently you pretty much only get people with this specific problem in one thread which makes it seem like more people have it than you think. The real proportion of LG displays in RMBPs with problems is likely to be in the fractions of a percentage, basically equivalent to the Samsung displays.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
How can you tell the difference again? I know there was a thread on it, but couldn't find it. I don't see anything in system information that would make it obvious either.

if you can run the following command in terminal it will tell you who the manufacturer is:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Following is an interpretation of the string that is returned telling you who the manufacturer is.
LPXXXX = LG
LSNXXXX = Samsung

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
"Why can't apple stop using lg screens and just use Samsung."

Maybe because the LG screens are better?

The only test I have seen so far comparing the two said this (higher contrast and color accuracy for the LG).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4554/apples-11inch-macbook-air-core-i7-18ghz-review-update

Seeing how the 11" Air doesn't have a retina display, that article is kind of irrelevant. The OP is clearly referring to the retina model. The tech involved is a bit different.

EthosX

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2012
Fatguy
Cos u not k.owledged with questions like this!
Why do u want samsung ? U think they are better JUST BECAUSE you will see samsung sign or logo on it?
Obviously u dont think ..
LG HAS the same quality screens as samsung with one diff.
It is CHEAPER ..
I have samsung screen which is the best in world i could say yes it is samsung 18.4'' RGB LED but it is fakin expensive and if u put together lg screen with samsung you see NO difference at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.