Why cant install single user Leopard on more than 1 Mac ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XheartcoreboyX, Nov 15, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

I know you cant install leopard/tiger on more than one machine..

but whats the reason/secret behind that..what kind of security ??

i just want to know so i can answer some noobs who were arguing that yes you can install it on more than 1 as its just a CD ... lol ..

thanks for any answers,,

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

It is not allowed, but it is also not prevented. So your "noob" friends are correct (well, it's a DVD, not a CD). There's nothing preventing you from installing a single copy of Leopard on more than one machine except for the license.

See: Everything you want to know bout Leopard licensing/activation

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple karmic response, you do it and you will start getting bad Apple Care service, dud machines time after time, people that cannot speak English when when you call in for service, etc.

Apple tracks you and retaliates ... ;)

Just look at all the threads where people complain about how many times in a row they have gotten bad Macs.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Physically, you can. Legally and morally, you can't.

5. Blubbert macrumors 6502

There is really nothing that prevents you from installing OSX on several different machines with a single licence. There is no activation, no registration, nothing. The thing that does exist is the EULA, which if i recall correctly, is not really a binding contract, and your own sense of honor. Basically OSX is released on a honor code licence :) .

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, if your own conscience allows you to, you can install it on as many Macs as you want…

Morally right? No.

A misuse of Apple's "trust"? Yes.

If it does get misused — like the Edu discounts — Apple will sooner or later introduce Microsoft like lock-ins and activations.

7. feyn-man macrumors regular

I think the most important reason is: that is illegal.
    If you don't care the law, you can always find the way to do that. That's not a problem in technology.

8. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

OS Install on more than one computer...

The agreement you "read" and agreed to BEFORE installing the OS states that you can't legelly install more than 1 copy of the installed OS on more than 1 computer! It is as simple as that! You want to install on more than 1 computer you need to buy the family pack! But like anything else, Apple expects you be to "honest" and abid by the agreement you agreed to.

9. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

Are you sure about that? What about "fair use"? If I have two computers, why can't I buy one DVD and install the OS on both? Seems like fair use to me. Even if that isn't legal, I would argue it is morally OK, again following the fair use logic.

EDIT: by the way, I only have one computer, I have no intention of doing this, I just truly wonder if doing this is illegal, despite what the EULA says.

10. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Come on people !!!

why pay lots of money more ???

i can get this leopard DVD and do 100 copies and give them to my friends and relatives.... thats so damn confusing .... :eek::eek::eek:

11. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

You could also break into a store, steal all their big screen TVs and give them to your friends. You'd still be breaking the law.

12. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Where do you think Apple gets the money to develop new features and products?

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Maybe you should read up on what Fair Use actually is.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It isn't something people are going to go after you for.

But if you were running a business, and ask this question ... we would call you a complete ****ing idiot for considering it.

Why: Because the reward for turning in businesses who don't have licenses for all there software has been bumped to a million dollar max. Which makes you a target for pissed off people. And it isn't Apple going after you but a group considered as bad as a pissed off IRS.

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

What's confusing?

- That there's a major application vendor that still trusts it's customers?

- Why there aren't more dishonest people out there selling bootleg copies of Mac OS DVDs?

- That you actually have 100 friends with Macs?

- That Apple makes more money on iPods than it does on OS X and so doesn't really give a crap that people might bootleg it?

16. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Surely you are not being serious… are you?

What part of "don't steal software"* do you find confusing? :confused:

* Read the small print on the side of your Leopard DVD box…

17. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Ok people i just was tottaly shocked... i though that Apple has some kind of security that doesnt let you install a software or OS on more than one machine....

still i WOULD NEVER EVER steal anything from Apple ...

the whole thread is just "out of curious" thing ..

thanks for the replays =)

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That is piracy, and if you did that you are somebody that would be nabbed as somebody doing Software Counterfeiting.

End user piracy isn't something that pays to go after somebody for.

But raise the bar and begin manufacturing leopard DVDs for sale, and they will likely put you in prison.

Edit: this is actually one of the cases where the reward is actually paid for on small idiots trying to be cute.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You are, of course, forgetting the small detail called copyright law. You buy Leopard, and copyright law allows you to make _one_ copy of it by installing it on your computer. What the EULA says doesn't matter at all here; as soon as you make a second copy without permission by Apple you are breaking the law.

People who buy a family pack have permission by Apple to make four further copies according to Apple's terms. Since copyright law doesn't give you the right to do this, Apple's license there is absolutely legally binding.

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You are completely misunderstanding the term "fair use" in copyright law. "Fair use" would be for example a screenshot including icons that are copyrighted by Apple in a Guide How To Use Time Machine. "Fair use" would be quoting three lines of source guide in a book about different programming styles. The whole complete copying of a DVD is never, ever fair use.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well except as a backup for your one copy.

22. benpatient macrumors 68000

this argument keeps getting dumber every time I see it written out.

Do people really have such a hard time with analogy?

For the TV analogy to work, you'd have to buy a single TV, take it home, and then magically clone it so that you could watch TV in two rooms at the same time. It isn't the same thing and it never will be.

You can say "you're depriving the TV manufacturers of the money they would make from selling you that other TV," but that's just not true, because honestly, I wouldn't buy the other TV to begin with. If I could make copies of my 50" plasma TV, I would have one in almost every room of my house! I would make a wall of them upstairs and turn on their "matrix" feature and have one of those giant TV matrix walls 100's of inches wide.

But only if that were free or close to free. If I had the $50,000 it would take to do this, I wouldn't spend it on a bunch of TVs. I would spend it elsewhere or keep my money for later.

I probably wouldn't buy another copy of 10.5 if I already had a single license of it and wanted to put it on another Mac that only had 10.4.

23. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

OK, so my choice of analogy may not have been the best example once you take it apart like that, but the underlying principle still holds true. If you want ti pick holes in the specific example, then go right ahead. I'm sure it'll make you feel better.

Then that is in contravention of the law. I know you're going to argue about how it isn't important, how you wouldn't buy a second copy anyway, and that it isn't going to hurt anyone (or their pockets) by installing it on a second machine. The fact, though, is that it is illegal.

I may well be overreacting to your post, but I'm afraid you've hit on a bit of a sore point with me here. I lost a *lot* of money trying to establish a record company only to see my investment going down the drain as every one of our releases appeared online for unauthorised free download. You want to tell me that copyright theft is OK? You can talk 'til you're blue in the face, but if you were on the receiving end I'll give you good odds you would change your view.