Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaBoy85

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
Earth.
To name a few...

Windows was becoming horrible. XP was the only fast OS, and it was ages old. And it still wasn't stable. My laptop was a creaky, hot, noisy, flimy plastic HP laptop, and after seeing the Mac OS, and its beautiful build, I HAD to.

SO please.

Agreed!

kitch95

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
How portable have macbook owners found it? I am considering the macbook or a netbook and I was wondering how portable it was?

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
How portable have macbook owners found it? I am considering the macbook or a netbook and I was wondering how portable it was?

MacBooks are extremely portable. I am taking mine around at least 2 days a week and I have a pretty large Targus bag because I have other things I need to take with me. No complaints at all. While I think it would be smart for Apple to make an 11" laptop, I'm confused by those on here that think MacBooks are too large or bulky. I just have a completely different point of view I guess.

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2008
I take it everyday to college. It's sitting in my backback, next to the books and papers.

But for travelling purposes, I would definitely buy a netbook, it's smaller and lighter. But that might doesn't matter, depending on your way of travelling (I like it as light as possible)

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
Was Convince Macs Were Better

The reason I got a MacBook Pro was for the features. I had been a user of Windows for years but hated the usability of it. After using an iPod for 3 years and looking around on Apple.com I decided that Leopard, and Macs for the matter, were far better than Windows or the computers it comes on. I like my MBP and all of its features. :apple:

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I heard that Mabooks will most likely increase your chances in getting laid, especially if you use one in Starbucks. So, I decided to get one ;)

Sorry, had to put that in :D

fourtyoneantz

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
i got mine because after years and years of using xp/vista i finally realized how awful it was

plus i just had to return 2 crappy dell laptops because of TERRIBLE build quality. it's a shame too, i had my first dell laptop for 5 years and it still works to this day.

LOVE my mac though. i don't think i'll ever go back

reclusivemonkey

macrumors 6502
I got fed up of the lack of multimedia applications on Linux. Kino was a fairly decent video editor, but it took a hell of a lot of work to get it going, even on Ubuntu. There was NO dvd authoring application I could get to work, never mind anything as simple to use as iDVD. There were quite a few alternatives to iPhoto, but all of them lacked something the other had and the choice of applications worked against me as I was forever changing and losing the metadata I had worked hard to maintain.

I had been using Linux for about eight years, and things were becoming harder, not simpler. My main desktop PC was old enough that I couldn't upgrade a single item in there without basically buying a new machine. I had persuaded my mum to buy an iBook a few years back as I wasn't prepared to support a Linux laptop for her and Windows was totally out of the question. Based on the experience I had with that, the cheapness of a Mac Mini, iLife and oddly enough Quicksilver (which is a HUGE part of the Mac experience for me) I decided to bite the bullet. Well about six months later I had already bought a MacBook as well =]

Trexznl

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2009
The Netherlands
Hm.. I went the Mac route because I've been using windows for a long while and I am so totally done with it. My previous laptop managed to ruin my mood most of the time. I use my laptop alot, and it's really annoying having to struggle with a slow OS (XP) and slow programs and both manage to crash up on you all the time. I maintained that Dull laptop quite well and it still didn't fit my needs anymore.

My brother purchased a MacBook (white older version) somewhere last year and the times he visited he always was quite delirious about it, so I asked him to take it with him about two weeks ago. I was already in love with the design before that. Well after having played with it for about 2 minutes, I already made up my mind and decided to sell off my Dull and get a MacBook. I originally wanted to go with the new nVidia White MacBook, but decided that I use my laptop enough to justify the additional €250 for the unibody.

I've got it for just over a week now and I'm totally digging it. Everything works just SO much faster and smoother. Of course it isn't perfect (it's close though ;-P) but it just works. Even though the specs might be a bit worse compared to windows systems, the superior design is enough reason for me to cope with it. (oh yeah and Os X aswell of course).

Having a super slick notebook, which is really fast, which comes with working software (osx/ilife) out of the box, doesn't make any noise, never gets really hot is more than enough reason to justify the additional expenses.

:apple:

bradleyjx

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Madison, WI
I grew up in a Mac house during the 90s, and Windows was actually the unfamiliar OS for me. My first computer was a Dell laptop which I still use and works great, but when I started looking at a new laptop, moving back to macs was a pretty easy choice to me; especially because I bought that laptop 4 months before the x86 announcement, and I honestly trusted a macbook to be able to virtualize Windows 7 as well as a new Dell I'd have bought at the same time.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I needed a Unix workstation (certified Unix, not Linux) and my old Inspiron couldn't manage to run OpenSolaris.

How/Where do you check to see if your workstation is certified for Unix?
Excellent machine for Unix/Linux (I'm beginning to see both as equal in capabilities - but considering your using a Sun OS Unix I'm curious what on earth for work you use your MacBook for? Are you the only one at your work that uses a Mac?

i wanted a notebook that I enjoyed staring at as much as I enjoyed using

+1 - But seriously I'm AMAZED at just how solid this design is! Best hardware change decision Apple has made since the Titanium & PowerMac G5 case!!

I'm buying a MacBook Unibody this Spring. MBP possibly for Xmas unless OT kicks in bigtyme then I'll go MBP all the way and iMac for the home as this 6yr old Dell is on its last breathe.

I plan to expand eventually by getting an ipod touch. I want an iphone but i never call people. I email and facebook everyone, so there's no need for the phone part

Use VoIP app like TruPhone for free VOIP calls to other iphone/ipod touch users & to other Nokia S60 users ;) Issue taken care of! Or another VOIP app for Vonage or like VoIP service that allows you to roam on WLAN networks. There is your phone! :apple:

Jaredistheman

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
Cause everyone i knew also ranted and raved about how amazing they were. And when i got it i realized it's not all it's cracked up to be. But other than some compatibility issues i love it!

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I purchased a MacBook because I wanted my own portable computer with everything I need on it. I also brought it because, at the time, OSX Leopard was released, and I had always liked OSX's simple and easy to use interface with little or no crashes. Plus, I was getting sick of Windows too.

troublesomekila

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
my friend had one of those White plasc. MacBooks and let me use it and I wanted one from that day on. I was going to buy an iMac I saved up for about a year but then the Alu. MacBooks came out and I got that instead. :p

foulmouthedleon

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Annapolis, MD
I'm primarily a PC user, but I wanted a Mac so that I could test my web pages (I'm a web designer) on a Mac and I also wanted to get into iMovie. I didn't really feel I needed the power of Pro so I went for the white 2.0 ghz version. Plus I like having options and the Macs are unique and fun to play with. And I've got a shuffle and iPhone so I might start doing some programming on Apps as well. Add it all up and it's more like why didn't I have one.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
I got a macbook in 2007 and it was my first mac. I love it in every way. No crashes, delayed responses, pop ups (unlike windows yes or no?) and yes... it's exclusiveness. I love exclusive products. It is currently not my primary computer as I have a 3 year old dell for school but it is getting slow and had viruses in the past.

juansicos

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2006
I had a 17 inch Powerbook before. Last year i moved to Finland, and when you have to go to university every day through the forest, crossing a frozen lake and with snow all around you realize its not a great idea to have a 17 inch laptop...
I love my macbook, only thing i miss about the powerbook is the screen.

Narcosynthesis

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2008
My old windows desktop was aging, slow and very buggy and crash prone, so I needed an upgrade to something newer.

I like the laptop format, and wanted a more portable option for when I am away and so on.

I was happy enough with windows, but have multiple friends who are mac users who all recommended it - stable, better designed and much more user friendly so I decided to give it a shot and see what the fuss was all about.

Lastly they do seem very well put together - obviously designed as a while not a collection of parts, so while a bit more expensive than a comparably specced pc, a much nicer machine in person.

So I ended up with a macbook...

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
How/Where do you check to see if your workstation is certified for Unix?
Excellent machine for Unix/Linux (I'm beginning to see both as equal in capabilities - but considering your using a Sun OS Unix I'm curious what on earth for work you use your MacBook for? Are you the only one at your work that uses a Mac?
Mac OS X Leopard is certified Unix.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
In a nutshell

1. Wanted a Computer of my own, Father had MacBook Pro
  2. I wanted to do virtual school online
  3. I am a guitarist so I wanted to start recording things (with ease)

So in mid 2007 (July 2nd was the exact day it arrived) I got my Black MacBook with Tiger. For the most part it has served me well, but Apple Protection Plan has saved me over $1100.00 so far with this computer, Corrupt internal software, replaced hard drive, failed cooling system causing laptop to over heat and freeze up.

For the past 3-4 months it has been working flawlessly and I can now appreciate the true greatness of my Macintosh Computer.

I am thinking about actually saving up and upgrading to a 15 inch MacBook Pro though, because my current MacBook is *useable* but I do all my school work on it, plus photography with my Canon Rebel XSi, plus tons of audio recording and editing. So I believe I would be better off with something that has more power and a bigger screen for editing photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.