Why did you switch to mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jhawk2, Jun 15, 2008.

1. jhawk2 macrumors member

jhawk2

Hi everyone!
    Just wanted to hear your stories on why you switched to mac. I am a nooB here and want to hear all the stories,the good AND the bad!:D Also if you have had any heated discussions with microsoft people.:D

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

I wanted something new, and bought an iBook G4 in 2005. When I returned to my home counter and found it waiting for me, all the excitement was fulfilled to the fullest and more. It was an awesome machine, and still is. I sold mine unfortunately, but my wife still has one and I still love using it.

I never went back to Windows PCs because of the convenience, features, security, and software.

4. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

technically, 15yrs+ ago. I thought it was a dictaphone.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

6. miamiracing macrumors 6502

1. i really liked the desktop, the way the os looks

2. i was kind of sick of all the spyware, viruses, trojans and all those windows stuff...plus like every 5-6 month your system did weird things like not playing datas anymore or trouble with opening programms etc.

3. i wanted to learn something new

4. i loved the design, the coolness of :apple:

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I switched in 1987 for desktop publishing purposes
    Never looked back

Mac SE and a Mac II with a Laserwriter NT

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Didn't switch...I've been using Macs since I was three.

9. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I desperately needed a injection of 'cool.'

I switched late last year because of reliability issues. I had been working on a Dell XP, and that thing was absolutely atrocious. Basic functions failed to function blah blah blah. Everything in the ads and more.

Since switching, I have noted an improvement in productivity (which, since I'm hourly, I'm not so sure is a hot idea. But it saves me getting a headache at least), improved usability, that aforementioned injection of cool status... and lots of other smaller stuff that I really appreciate in everyday life (the integration of iCal with email, the way Safari handles downloads, etc)

I'm a switcher, and proud of it. :) :cool: :apple:

10. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Bought my first mac in '93, never had a reason to switch... :apple: = :D

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Non-switcher here, too. Went from an Apple ][+ to a Mac 512K (aka the "Fat Mac") in 1985, never looked back.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

switched years ago, because i was unhappy with the other OS options out there. its not that i hated XP i was frustrated. found OS X through a friend and was hooked.

13. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Vista looked like it was gonna be lame, and boy is it ever!

14. shecky Guest

shecky

1998. Mac OS 8. because i started doing graphic and web design.

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I used iMacs early in elementary school and I liked the design. (Not so much the OS, which was OS 8 at the time) As time progressed, I found myself liking Macs more and more, but my PC was doing me OK for the time. But, When my it died for the 3rd time in a year, I had enough, and got a Mac mini. Well, that died in March due to my stupidity, and it got replaced with the iBook G4 that is listed in my sig. (I fixed the PC too; hoping it doesn't die again. :rolleyes:)

I don't hate Windows, in fact sometimes I prefer using it over OS X because the interface is better in some ways. But, the stability and virus issues always send me back to OS X after a while.

16. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Thanks to my parents, I never had to switch, I started with em'! I got my own computer in 2005, iBook G4. It died, and my MacBook Pro shold be comming in tomorow!:cool:

17. Fuchal macrumors 68020

18. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

there isn't enough trees in michigan to make the paper to list the reasons.

19. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Your avatar is SWEET! Is that you? Always been a huge Giant fan, bought his shirt @ Sound Set '08. I've seen a few graff references on this site... ;)

20. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

because in 1997-1999 my windows pcs kept dying after 6 months and I got tired of replacing them

21. Kinderhauz macrumors member

I haven't switched yet, but I plan to in the next few month or two. I've always admied the style of Apple products, but lately I've also realized that they are easier to use and have less problems than Windows PCs. I guess the main reason I put off switching for so long was because I'm too lazy to learn how to use a new interface, but after watching some of Steve's keynotes I'm actually excited to be learning the way Apple software works. It seems cool.

Lastly, I am a high school social studies teacher and I give a lot of lectures with Powerpoint. Powerpoint is good, but I really like all the animations and effects you can do with Keynote. I can do similar things in Powerpoint but it requires add-on software that doesnt always work. I like the fact that Apple products are more integrated. PCs are a hodgepodge of software from a million different places.

22. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Wow, really? I thought Apple already cornered this market? My whole scholastic career was Apple based (until college, those were dark days). Apple in the education market formed my young mind. ;) :D

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Because my Amstrad CPW was getting a bit long in the tooth.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, that's why I switched, too. :p

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

One silly, silly day at college I was playing around on one of the iMacs just browsing the internet with a friend. For some reason I went to Apple's site and looked at the 3G iPod and thought "holy hell I want one!".

Weeks later and I bought one. Loved it.

About 6 months later I went to uni. Everyone had a mac and because of the iPods halo effect I planned to get an iBook. Tiger was coming out and needed 64mb video ram for Core Graphics or whatever it was called, so I bought a PowerBook instead. Also helped them being 12" and pretty powerful at the time.

2 years later I bought an iMac and haven't looked back since! I got everyone around me wanting a Mac too :eek:

Never used to like Macs either. I took a leap when I bought the Powerbook and I think by the 3rd day I was regretting it. Which faded.