Why do my wife missed calls show up on my phone?

nznative

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
Just because something worked doesn't necessarily mean it was designed for it and when something about it changed it doesn't therefore necessarily mean it's a bug.
Bugs are quite common in new iOS releases. That's why they have updates that fix them.

jasontoheal

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
I think I have found a solution.

Turned off iCloud Drive on my wife's phone and had no call logs appear since. Will report back if anything changes but this appears to have done the trick.

Found under: settings/iCloud and then the iCloud Drive toggled to off.
Thanks so much. This also seems to have solve the problem for me of recent each other's call history appearing on my and my wife's phones. Much appreciated.

f360racer

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Thanks for the thread.

I have used the same Apple ID for all five of our iPhones and two iPads and three iMacs since 2008. The reason for this was for many reasons. Initially our kids were too young to have their own Apple ID's and my wife and I found it convenient to share Contacts, Calendars, Notes etc as well as iTunes purchases. Only recently has the problem of calls from one device showing up incorrectly on other devices. The issue oddly only mixed calls and some texts on two devices, specifically two iPhones. The three other iPhones and iPads etc were never "infected" even though every setting was identical.

Family sharing came years later as an option for those that have multiple family members. This solves one issue and one issue only for Apple, iTunes purchases. However this way does not solve the issue of keeping data like contacts and notes for all members of a Family to share. As soon as you sign out an iPhone on the old "shared Apple ID" onto it's new Apple ID all notes, contacts etc are lost. So the fix that all the experts state" Don't share Apple ID" is short sighted at best.

I found threads similar to this one with the following suggestions that I have listed below.

1.Turn off Handoff button under Settings;General,Handoff & Suggested Apps (this worked for awhile until last update)

2.Turn off Wi-fi calling under Settings;Phone;Wi-Fi Calling;OFF

3.Turn off Calls on Other Devices under Settings;Phone;Calls of Other Devices;OFF

4.Ensure all numbers and emails addresses under Settings;Messages;Send & Receive only show your number and primary email and not the ones on the shared Apple ID.

5.Turn off "use iCloud" under Settings;Messages; Send & Receive; it should show "Use your Apple ID for iMessage" after turning it off.

6.Turn off "use iCloud" under Settings;Facetime; Send & Receive; it should show "Use your Apple ID for Facetime" after turning it off.

7.Turn off iCloud Drive under Settings;iCloud;iCloud Drive; OFF

I have tried 1-6 one by one and the problem of calls showing up on the one other iPhone plagued with this problem only to have the problem return. I have enacted No. 7 only yesterday. I will have to see if the problem reoccurs. I pay for Apple iCloud storage and these "fixes" are not fixes at all and I have degraded my Apple iPhone experience and capabilities severely. I will report further with additional details...

good luck...

Apple please help with a real solution. OK you want us to use Family Sharing with everyone with their own Apple ID's OK than solve the problem of those of us that didn't before and now we still need Contacts, notes etc to sync.

Last edited:

xorTygr

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2016
Thanks for the thread.

I have used the same Apple ID for all five of our iPhones and two iPads and three iMacs since 2008. The reason for this was for many reasons. Initially our kids were too young to have their own Apple ID's and my wife and I found it convenient to share Contacts, Calendars, Notes etc as well as iTunes purchases. Only recently has the problem of calls from one device showing up incorrectly on other devices. The issue oddly only mixed calls and some texts on two devices, specifically two iPhones. The three other iPhones and iPads etc were never "infected" even though every setting was identical.

Family sharing came years later as an option for those that have multiple family members. This solves one issue and one issue only for Apple, iTunes purchases. However this way does not solve the issue of keeping data like contacts and notes for all members of a Family to share. As soon as you sign out an iPhone on the old "shared Apple ID" onto it's new Apple ID all notes, contacts etc are lost. So the fix that all the experts state" Don't share Apple ID" is short sighted at best.

I found threads similar to this one with the following suggestions that I have listed below.

1.Turn off Handoff button under Settings;General,Handoff & Suggested Apps (this worked for awhile until last update)

2.Turn off Wi-fi calling under Settings;Phone;Wi-Fi Calling;OFF

3.Turn off Calls on Other Devices under Settings;Phone;Calls of Other Devices;OFF

4.Ensure all numbers and emails addresses under Settings;Messages;Send & Receive only show your number and primary email and not the ones on the shared Apple ID.

5.Turn off "use iCloud" under Settings;Messages; Send & Receive; it should show "Use your Apple ID for iMessage" after turning it off.

6.Turn off "use iCloud" under Settings;Facetime; Send & Receive; it should show "Use your Apple ID for Facetime" after turning it off.

7.Turn off iCloud Drive under Settings;iCloud;iCloud Drive; OFF

I have tried 1-6 one by one and the problem of calls showing up on the one other iPhone plagued with this problem only to have the problem return. I have enacted No. 7 only yesterday. I will have to see if the problem reoccurs. I pay for Apple iCloud storage and these "fixes" are not fixes at all and I have degraded my Apple iPhone experience and capabilities severely. I will report further with additional details...

good luck...

Apple please help with a real solution. OK you want us to use Family Sharing with everyone with their own Apple ID's OK than solve the problem of those of us that didn't before and now we still need Contacts, notes etc to sync.
[doublepost=1482684977][/doublepost]Recently had the issue of call history showing up on multiple iPhones for the first time. It happened after updating to iOS 10.2. My wife and I also have been sharing the same apple id for years without any trouble until now. For privacy and security reasons, we have never used any sort of iCloud, iDrive, iTunes, or any other of those types of cloud services. We also maintain backups of anything important via secure side channel techniques. After confirming that all cloud and sharing services were still turned off, I began exploring for what could be causing the issue of the call history being shared between iPhones. What solved the problem in my case was to ensure that both phones were logged out of the app store. After updating to iOS 10.2, I neglected to logout of the app store. (Logging out after each app store use is our usual practice.) Once this was discovered and I ensured that we were logged out of the app store on both phones, the issue was resolved.

f360racer

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
[doublepost=1482684977][/doublepost]Recently had the issue of call history showing up on multiple iPhones for the first time. It happened after updating to iOS 10.2. My wife and I also have been sharing the same apple id for years without any trouble until now. For privacy and security reasons, we have never used any sort of iCloud, iDrive, iTunes, or any other of those types of cloud services. We also maintain backups of anything important via secure side channel techniques. After confirming that all cloud and sharing services were still turned off, I began exploring for what could be causing the issue of the call history being shared between iPhones. What solved the problem in my case was to ensure that both phones were logged out of the app store. After updating to iOS 10.2, I neglected to log out of the app store. (Logging out after each app store use is our usual practice.) Once this was discovered and I ensured that we were logged out of the app store on both phones, the issue was resolved.
Thanks for the information on the need to log out of the app store as another way the lines get mixed up.

Update. Since my last posting of completing suggestions of 1-7, I no longer have had the problem of the mixed up phone calls or texts on two of the four iPhones in my family. Not sure which one or if it was a combination of several of the steps that fixed the issue. However, this has not solved some of the basic downgrades this has caused for my Apple experience. I had purchased 200GB of Apple iCloud storage for the families use with all four iPhones sharing the storage. However, now that the other three phones have their own Family iCloud account they now only have the default 5GB storage. This caused problems with iPhoto as now you specifically have to share a photo if you want it to show up in Family sharing. Previously as someone took a photo it would all show up in the same Photos album. Now they don't and I would have to load all 16,000 photos into the shared Family account for the family to access their previous photos in the old non-Family photos album. To get around the contacts issue on the three iPhones with new Family iCloud accounts I had to add the original primary iCloud account in addition to their new address under contacts. Not sure if someone adds a new number does it load to both or not. I haven't tried it to confirm either way. Now that someone has found that signing out of the App store might work as well I will have to try and configure iPhones all over again...thanks for nothing Apple!

Justwanttocomment

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2017
Seeing the same thing here.
I am running 9.1 beta 2 and the wife is on 9.0.1 and I am seeing cellular calls she makes/relieves and visa versa. We don't have cellular calls on other devices switched on.
I understand some people suggest not using the same iCloud/Apple details but we have for a number of years prior to this and this is the first time we have had this issue.
[doublepost=1485222213][/doublepost]Why does everyone keep saying to stop sharing? I have an iPod, 2 iPhones and an iPad. Why should I have to use separate ids for all? That would mean I have to purchase the same app that many times. That's just ridiculous!! People need to stop saying that's the problem and to give the help or move on. So tired of everyone not answering the problem. How many threads have I read and still no answer. Only people b itching to stop sharing damn ids

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
[doublepost=1485222213][/doublepost]Why does everyone keep saying to stop sharing? I have an iPod, 2 iPhones and an iPad. Why should I have to use separate ids for all? That would mean I have to purchase the same app that many times. That's just ridiculous!! People need to stop saying that's the problem and to give the help or move on. So tired of everyone not answering the problem. How many threads have I read and still no answer. Only people b itching to stop sharing damn ids
If two people share the same Apple like the OP, a lot of trouble and frustration can ensue for all involved.

If one has three devices as you listed, one does not have to buy the same app for all devices, provided all devices are on the same account.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
www.melman101.com
Umm clearly you don't understand family sharing. Separate IDs but can share all purchases.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, putting Family Sharing aside even, there's iCloud sharing and then there's iTunes and App Store sharing.

That said, seems like quite a few different solutions and workarounds that seem to work for many people have been discussed in this thread already.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Sharing Apple ID's is akin to sharing a social security number anymore.

There are dedicated ways to accomplish most of the things that people would actually want to share an Apple ID for in the first place.

There are also benefits to not sharing an ID (seems weird to say, do you share driver ID's too?) like having 5gb of free iCloud storage X 2 instead of sharing 5gb. And actually being able to use functions like accepting phone calls on other devices. Not disabling handoff and such. Plus an added layer of security (the entire family doesn't get hacked). Proper FaceTime functionality, continuity, shared browser tabs, etc etc.

Then of course privacy and I don't mean anything scandalous either, for example not having to worry that your jewelry store browsing history is popping up on your wifes phone.
[doublepost=1485326314][/doublepost]
We are talking about multiple people sharing the same Apple ID. The same person using the same ID across many devices is how its supposed to work.

What problem are you having? Because if you aren't sharing your ID with anyone else then there should be an easy solution for us to give you.

daBaws2017

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2017
Same thing happened to me. I did NOT turn off cloud drive to fix it.

What you need to do is go into General settings, then turn off both "Handoff" related features. Problem solved.

Had the same problem as mentioned above.
Turning "Handoff" off worked out for me!

Thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I noticed the same problem with my inlaws iphones.
I turned off handoff and all other features on both devices that are mentioned above.
Her missed calls would still show up on his device.
Only thing left was to have them use separate apple ID's on their devices and that worked. They never had that happened since.
It was a pain.