Why do people buy the Black Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tomass04, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Tomass04 macrumors newbie

When you can just upgrade the white one to 250 gb and it's $100 less. Is it being dyed black worth $100?

2. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

I think it looks nice. And I don't think its dyed black.

3. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Why do some people buy Gucci shirts when you can get H&M shirts for $500 less? Why do some people buy BMWs when you can get a Honda for $50000 less? Why do some people ask questions with obvious answers when you can use your brain instead? ;)

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The bigger (yet same) reason is why do people buy a worse-working computer because it looks nice? For me, because it runs an OS that I do some stuff on. For other people - apparently many, because they keep their brains in their eyes.

It's not a black-dyed finish but a rubberised layer of paint, and when you first heave it out of the box it looks pretty classy. However the finish isn't anywhere near as durable as a matt Thinkpad and collects fingerprint oils too easily. When you combine Thinkpad wannabe with inferior build quality, you get... well, not a good result.

I gave my Blackbook to a friend's kid, and she's only had it for a few weeks - and while it was starting to look just slightly scuffed in my possession, I saw her with it recently and it looks like crap.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Roger that. It looks like the owner dipped his/her fingers in oil before dotting prints all over the keyboard, palmrests, etc. The external material is just bad judgment on Apple's part.

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I bought it because it doesn't scratch like the white one.

8. Matek macrumors 6502a

Exactly - it's a status symbol. If you own a black macbook/expensive car/designer shirt, you show to people around you that you have enough money to buy something more expensive out of principle.

Some people take that as a bad thing, but if you think about it - we all do it at some level, especially with clothes. You get Levi's jeans for at least a hundred bucks, although you could get three no name pairs for $10 at a discount store, because people will judge you if you wear cheap clothes. I think this is much worse than buying an exact same computer that's more expensive just because of the colour.

9. salvatorereda macrumors member

10. noaccess macrumors 6502

I'd like to add that most people who buy Macbooks aren't familiar with the product lineup, like us MR followers are. They likely don't know about the fact that customizing the lower-priced white macbook to match the specs of the BlackBook would save them 100$, so they just buy the black one. Plus, the price difference between all MB versions is equal (200$), so they probably think better HDD capacity + nicer color is worth the money.

About the status symbol thing... Not sure that many people automatically equate the black macbook with $$$, that's too specific. They probably do when it comes to Apple, as a brand, tho.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Because I like the black better.

Because I didn't want to wait the 2 weeks for the CTO machine to come in.

Because the white MacBook is the MacBook of the poor.

I work for them and I knew it was A$150 less and I still bought it.

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

because after coming from two white ibooks, a white macbook and a shiny macbook pro, the darker blackbook was a nice change of pace.

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Because some people think it looks nicer and if they can afford it they buy it? Or because it doesn't scratch as much as white one?

Dumb thread...

14. Wicker macrumors regular

I don't like the white Macbook. I just can't see myself with it. And I'm planning to keep my Macbook for a long time to come, so I figured I'd go for the one I really wanted and pay a bit more than get a cheaper one and regret it for a long time to come.

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

why do the color nanos cost more then the 4gb silver one? lol:rolleyes:

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i got black outer casings for my macbook because i prefer the matte finish. It was a custom mod. They keyboard and display bezel are still white.

17. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

18. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Because they are 8GB? The Silver 8GB costs the same as the color 8GB, therefore you don't pay anymore for the color.

The point of this thread is why are you paying more for a black color macbook when a white macbook of the same spec is $100 cheaper.

19. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

I think the real question is why is there no black option for the MBP's?

20. EmptyCalm macrumors member

21. kabunaru Guest

It's a personal choice. Some people prefer white while others prefer black.

22. bandaros macrumors member

I don't have one, but IMO it looks better than the white.

White is SOOooo early 2000's...

23. kamiboy macrumors 6502

The point of the MacBook is that unlike a Thinkpad it doesn't start off looking like a turd crudely sandwiched between two slabs of plastic, it works its way there gradually.

Then again some people, like Michael Jackson, don't care if it is black or white.

24. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Everyone is missing the obvious reason that people buy the black macbook. Its cause people are trying to relive the good old days of the pismo powerbook.

25. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

As a person who has driven both a Honda (Civic/Accord) and a BMW (3 series) you can't really compare them. The BMW is in a league of it's own and not (well in europe anyway) $50000 more. There is just an extra level of Finesse in the BMW that you don't realise is there until you get back into the honda. You don't notice it until you don't have it any more.

Although i do think BMW's are a tad over priced, i don't mind them being more expensive than a regular car but not as much as they are.

To the OP. Some people like black laptops.