Why do they offer a family pack if snow leopard doesnt have a cd key?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hissori, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Hissori macrumors member

Just a thought. Is there a point to a snow leopard family pack? Why not just buy 1 cd and just use it multiple times?

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Because Apple trusts its users a bit more than Microsoft. You can certainly install on multiple computers but it is against the EULA agreement.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

integrity

shocking how some people still value that concept huh?

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Because using 1 CD for multiple installations is piracy.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

6. Hissori thread starter macrumors member

oh okay. Well, is it possible to use the family pack and split between friends? I guess apple wouldn't know whether its family or not as long as its 5 different people with their own cd?

7. monaklan macrumors newbie

Most people are honest, and will buy the family pack if they are using it for more computers in the house. And why use a serial number, hackers will pirate it in 2 seconds anyway, then it creates a blackmarket, where websites are actively listing cracks and serials and promoting the cracked app.

8. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

From the Leopard EULA. I would assume things aren't going to change much, if at all, for the Snow Leopard EULA.

So no, your friends do not count unless you are all living together.

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yes, its possible. Its just not right. One of the things that I like about Apple is that they trust me. No Activation Schemes, etc. So, I bought the family pack for our homes several Macs. I like to encourage good behaviour.

10. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

because the idea is that if you give people the choice they will mostly be honest. Ppl rip off MS for the simple reason (amongst others) that they are so militant with their keys etc

I enjoy Apple products and as such I am happy to pay for them, much the same as my reasoning behind going demi on macrumors :)

11. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Just another reason why cloud computing will take over in a few years. :eek:

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Pretty sure you get only one disc in a family pack, since it's meant for one household. Personally, I wouldn't want to be sharing an OS disc with my friends, I'd want my own copy on hand.

In any case though, please stop looking for loopholes to save on Snow Leopard. If you really don't care about paying for the software, just torrent it. If you want Apple and their people to be compensated for their work, buy it according to the license agreement. It's that simple.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

value, lol,

1. OSX is a fork of Unix/Linux ecosystem, none of them never have any CD keys, Im not even sure if apple knows how to add one if they want to.

2. OSX is a fork of Unix/Linux, apple doesn't spend as much resources as MS throw in windows anyway, most money is profit. A penny less is not concern.

I think $29 is a great price, for sure, family pack... why bother. Apple doesn't need to trust its users, its better to describe their attitude as "I don't care".

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Because Apple are just about the best company on the face of the planet when it comes to user rights. Not arguable.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Tell that to the people who have had their iPhone apps pulled from the App Store for no good reason :rolleyes:

16. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Ugh, WRONG. The Darwin kernel is OSS. The rest of the system, the parts that make up a majority of what people would consider to be OS X, is not.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah right, without apple's addition, people can still use an OS, without kernal, users can use nothing. which is more important? obvious question, isn't it?

18. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Look at OSX server. That uses the license key concept, so they do know how to use license keys.

19. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

iWork as far as I know does.
    thats about it...

but the reason why i dug apple is that they were very nonrestrictive for my use with my product.
    It wasnt even about distributing it to friends or other computers, it was just the fact of peace of mind on my own machine.
    I only get so many attempts on a comp running windows before they freak out and htye have to know exactly why and what im doing with my bought & overpriced OS in the first place.

but at any rate, Family Pack is handy and inexpensive for the multi licensing

20. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Debian are going to start offering 2 versions, one using the Linux kernel, another using a BSD kernel.

Yes the kernel is important, you can't use a computer with just the kernel though. You need the tools, like the GNU tools, a shell, like the BASH shell and you also need a filesystem.

21. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Beat me to it! While Apple's nonrestrictive with the consumer OS, they're less so with other apps or devices. The iPhone is locked down fairly tight (trivial to jailbreak, I know, but it's not something you do without tools), and the App Store approval process is completely opaque, arbitrary, and contradictory. I enjoy my iPhone, but I really wish Apple would stop with the nonsense (though in some cases, it's AT&T's nonsense).

Actually, OS X is a certified UNIX platform. He was wrong in saying that it's a Linux fork, though, since Linux isn't a fork of UNIX. I've never installed a commercial UNIX system (or Linux, for that matter), so I don't know if they don't have licensing keys.

22. kaybeee macrumors member

just going to buy the $29 upgrade and install it on my 4 macs.

saves money

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First you try to twist a good thing into evidence of incompetence. Next, you prove yourself to be wrong. I call that a "Double clevin."

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

Nice to know you are so honest and ethical.

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i read two of your posts consecutively, that are all about me, well has nothing to do with the topic.

First time finding somebody being so obsessed with me, quite strange. :p I should avoid you as much as you can. But this type of toilet flaming should not be encouraged at a civil discussion form. There is nothing wrong picking the problem with the fact or reasoning of my argument, like someone did above. Well, if you are capable of, that is.