Why do you have to pay Apple $149 to fix the Touch Disease?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tubeexperience, Nov 19, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Why do you have to pay Apple $149 to fix the Touch Disease?

Is it because you are using it wrong?

Is the iPhone so special that you are not suppose to put it in your pocket?

2. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

3. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

It's out of warranty. It is due to normal wear and tear and your device is out of warranty.

4. pika2000 macrumors 68030

No.
    No.

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

Because the problem is much bigger than Apple admits and they're not prepared to take the financial hit to right their wrong ... so much for that highly touted customer service.

6. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

Why do you have to pay to fix your car when it is out of warranty?

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

You never pay for the repair / replacement when the vehicle is recalled. Apple NEVER admits fault.

8. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Sure they do... Look at the other extension programs - MOST are at no charge.
    https://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

Not saying I agree with them, but in this case they determined that they are not solely at fault and instead offer repair at a discount.

About vehicles - I've have issues with mine where they haven't done a full recall, but gave me a substantial discount for a common issue that seemed to occur right after warranty expirations (Nissan and BMW).

9. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Really, now?

If it's due to "normal" wear and tear, how come there aren't widespread reports of the Touch Disease on other iPhone models?

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Because it's out of warranty and the problem doesn't show up unless the phone was subjected to outside forces that Apple doesn't think a phone should be subjected to.

If you're this guy, yeah:

It's a phone, why would you bend it?

No, you're just not supposed to put those kinds of stresses on a phone. At least in Apples opinion. I personally don't think that phones should be subjected to that kind of stress either. It doesn't happen in your pockets(unless you sit on the phone, and then, well, why would you do that?)

11. JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

because other models use different materials.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Do you ever stop complaining?

13. unclemax macrumors regular

It's not normal wear and tear in my understanding. But anyways, I guess real question is why Apple prefers to take reputational hit over financial. Because now there's also a scandal with iPhone 6S battery issue brewing, as it happens also when 1yr Apple warranty started to expire, and these things can damage the brand's reliability image significantly.

14. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

there might be a few people who got the 6 when the 6s came out because it was cheaper, and got apple care +. so they still might be under warranty.

15. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

This argument would only be valid if you think that people treat iPhone 6/6 Plus differently than they do other iPhones, which I doubt is the case.

That's true.

Apple removed the underfill and metal shield (that was present in the previous models) from the iPhone 6/6 Plus.

This again points to design flaws.

16. Radon87000 macrumors 603

This is clearly planned obsolescence at its finest .The only thing Timmy cares about is money

17. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if thats what you choose to believe then good for you.

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Or in general, people abuse their phones and some are more susceptible to damage than others.

But hey, keep sitting on your phone and blame Apple for damaged you caused.

19. addamas macrumors 6502

addamas

I trust what Ifixit said and it's a factory level problem not user experience and usage. Phone is not designed well and in some cases it may have problems with screen if someone is using it normally. Normally is holding it in pocket, right ?

20. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

If the iPhone 6/6 Plus is more susceptible to damage than most other phones: that's a design flaw right there.

Imagine if there were widespread reports of the suspensions failing on a particular model of cars after driving over potholes.

"Some cars are more susceptible to damage than other cars" isn't going to fly.

Where in the world are you suppose to put your phone?

The front pockets are about an inch deep. Some pants just have fake pockets.

21. foxconn Suspended

If that was the case then every single phone should exhibit the same behaviour since they're mass produced. But that's clearly not the case. There's only a small percentage of people affected and they're likely to have mistreated their devices.

22. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I had an iPhone 6 Plus for about 2 years. Never had the "touch disease" problem and it worked fine since the day I got it.
    But if its a manufacturer defect or structural fault the customer shouldn't have to pay for it. Seems like they noticed the issue that needed attention and they corrected it on the next iPhone release. It makes me think that they could have done a better job during R&D to notice the real world stress tests being put to cellphones by people.
    I tend baby my devices but not everyone is the same.
    I think a lawsuit will eventually come out of this and people might end up getting their money back that they paid to repair this flaw.

24. adonis3k macrumors 6502

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Then move on. No one is forcing you to buy "Timmy's" phones.

Stupid is making the same mistake, so time for you to move on.

It does not matter to Apple what you think.