Why does Apple hate Macbook Pro users?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nonpython, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Nonpython macrumors newbie

I would be buying a new 17"er with all the trimmings, but I notice that Apple stuck a low end GPU into all the MBPs, with no option to upgrade to something less anemic. Why is Apple making it so native-resolution gaming is only possible, and I say this loosely, on the iMac? Did video games kill Apple's parents, forcing them to become BadGPUman?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AMD 6750M is far from being low-end... Go ahead and buy a 10lb "laptop" with high-end GPU if that is what you want.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

+1

Don't buy the new 17". Simple.

4. Nonpython thread starter macrumors newbie

Stop building strawmen and knocking them down.

Benchmarks show that the 6750M gets unplayable framerates at 1920x1200 on many modern games! So if all you want to play is old stuff from a few years ago, you will be running at much, much lower than native resolutions, like 1280x768.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Apple has always focused on cpu, battery life, form factors and other features in their computers before graphics, while everybody else tends to put them aside only for the sake of graphics.

Bottom line, even though they're not the strongest mobile gpus on the market, they're not the weakest either-- apple are not marketing the macbookpros as purely gaming laptops, they choose their own options in what they think makes for the overall best computer. The best example I could give you would be my pair of headphones. They have extremely bright and full treble, great mids, have an open ear design and have enormous soundstage-- they make for a very great listening experience. But due to all those great things, they lack in bass reproduction a bit, so bassheads would be quick to turn their head up to them.

What I'm getting at is that you should buy something else if you don't like what apple offers in the macbooks pros. There are plenty of laptops out there that undoubtedly focus only on gaming performance, but you'll have a fun time with their 2 inch thicknesses and 30 minute battery lives.

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Don't buy one then. If it doesn't meet your needs it seems silly to buy it.

7. smetvid macrumors 6502

Dude never buy a laptop for gaming. Simple as that.

Apple and its users happen to like battery life. The top amd gpu in the 17" is already a pretty sweet gpu for a mobile computer. Especially when you consider the battery life it gets.

For most typical users and pro users these new mbps are great. They are not meant to be hardcore game machines. Thats just the way it is.

8. Nonpython thread starter macrumors newbie

Once again, stop making strawmen and knocking them down. I am not talking about the nVidia GTX OVER9000M here, I just want something where I can play games without wasting the wonderful screen I am paying for.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I believe Asus has some decent gaming laptops at pretty good price points. Why not consider one of those if gaming is pretty important to you?

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

This is tiresome.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Please take your wine and cheese party elsewhere.

11. Nonpython thread starter macrumors newbie

My *expletive deleted* livelihood relies on OS X only software. Before you say "get two laptops", we are not all $100k earners. I can barely afford one laptop.

12. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Find that GPU for me that doesn't require everything else to be bigger. Something that doesn't generate heat and suck up battery like a beast. Please, do. Mobile GPUs are SMALL. They're not like they're desktop counterparts which have the comfort of being a foot long. They're little chips which require lots of power and cool air in order to function properly, these requirements increasing exponentially as the chips get better and more productive.

They do what they do to keep the form factor they envision, not what you envision.

13. neteng101 macrumors 65816

If you're serious about gaming, get a desktop. No laptop out there can seriously match what even a moderately well equipped desktop can do for gaming.

And if you're serious about gaming frame rates, then figure out a good resolution. I game at 1680x1050 on a desktop... it helps a ton so I don't have to spend a ton on crazy multiple GPU setups and keeps the electricity bill down too.

Macs are not for gaming and never will be (I'd love for at least a dual-wide PCIe slot in an iMac where you can stick in a GPU of your choice, plus enough power connectors for it, but it just won't ever happen). The Pro is Macbook is for work, not play... we're talking Photoshop, Aperture, etc.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

High resolutions and mobile GPUs don't play along nicely.

15. Nonpython thread starter macrumors newbie

You say it is for work, then why does it not have a Quadro or FirePro?

16. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

The requirements to put those in there are not worth it. Too low battery life, too much heat. Read.

17. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Nah still true. If it weren't true, then apple would be thickening their notebooks so the battery could take up less area while they could get a bigger motherboard to not actually resort to having to use core2duo+320m.

Apple stuck to using core2duo+320m not because they don't focus on graphics, but because they're building you what they think is the overall best performing computer (still taking form factor, build quality, battery life and all that into consideration)

18. datniceguy, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011

datniceguy macrumors member

In related posts, don't buy it if you don't need. If it's for work, you shouldn't be distracting yourself anyway. :D

19. Orange™ macrumors 6502

LOL!!! Are you complaining you can't play the absolute newest games on a freaking laptop.... on a mac no less? LOL!!!

It's not a strawmen were building, it's common sense, do you understand how thin the MPB is? Heat constraints and battery life also factor in. As others have said, buy a Dell or something of you want to game. Personally, I feel that people who are addicted to games in the first place to the point of needing to take them anywhere need to find a better hobby.

20. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

Bolded: Exactly. This is precisely why. This has been their philosophy for years now, it's nothing new. Form first, then function. Sometimes they hinder each other, but usually they meet in the middle to form great products.

21. Nonpython, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

Nonpython thread starter macrumors newbie

Gaming is just one part. What about 3D rendering people? My brother does this, and he needs to rerender stuff when on the road to show his work to potential investors. Why should he have to bring a Mac Pro or buy a windows laptop and hackintosh it?

All I am asking is for something at least on par with the GTS 360M. That is not asking much. Form above function? Then I guess apple would just have the IGP on the SB die.

It is not like I am some PC fanboi wanting to troll, I am typing this on my iMac next to my Macbook Air and 2010 MBP.

22. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

If AutoCAD can be done fine, I'm sure rendering can, too.

23. Naimfan, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011

Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

who buys an Apple MBP to play games? ... there are things like XBox for that.

if you want to play games on a laptop ... buy an Acer.

Apple loves the MBP users who could care less about video games.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

Depending on what "all the trimmings" are on the 17" MBP that you were considering, you might be able to get a base 15" MBP for your OSX needs and have enough left over for a decent Windows gaming notebook. The Dell Alienware M15x with the AMD Radeon 5850 is $1599.