iPhone XR Why does Apple not make a phone for power users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonybarnaby, May 25, 2019.

1. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

Apple is so set in their ways that power users have been left in the dark since the original iPhone. People will immediately talk about the “amazing” battery life of the XR, but in the big picture the XR total usage time from 100 until dead isn’t that great.

I’ve been working more than normal lately, so that means my 8+ hasn’t made it through the day. Due to the nature of my work, I don’t like to bring a charger to work with me. I have terrible reception, so that adds to the battery drain issues I face. My Android phones are the only ones that can make it a full 16 hour work day (17 hours if you factor in driving to and from work)

The XR gets a bit more than the 8+ from what I have seen, but why is apple so enamored with making thin phones. 75% of people probably think I’m being dumb, but there are a good number of people who won’t even consider an iPhone because they don’t last long enough. I much prefer my iPhone to my Android phone at the moment, but the android phone lasts twice as long on a single charge, and that’s very important to me.

I don’t play Pokémon go or any other gps game, but iPhones also struggle with those games due to sometimes laughably short use times. Apple dominates when it comes to standby drain, but they use such small batteries it’s inevitable they lag far behind android phones. Many people won’t even consider leaving apple, so they are left to just take what they are given.

It’s a shame that the best Apple has to offer (XR) would just be considered good in the Android world. I wish Apple would make a “pro” version of their phones and go all out. Make the normal Max phone their usual 3100mah or so, then charge an extra bit of money and give power users a phone with 4500mah. They would sell a boatload of them.

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

Bigger battery means bigger and heavier iphone. Those two adjectives aren't in Ive's vocabulary. Some people think the XR is pretty heavy already.
    Get a battery case.

3. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

You shouldn’t need a battery case. There are android phones that are around the weight of the Xr that manage to fit a 5000mah battery.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

See, that's part of the trouble right there.

You seem to be defining 'power user' as a user who uses their phone for an extended length of time. Essentially you want a larger battery.

That isn't a 'power user' in my book. At least not by the definition I know it by. Sure, you use power. A lot apparently - so power user. I get it.

But to me, a power user is defined by what one knows. Here's a tech definition:

So you see…it's not how much time you use your device that makes you a power user, it's what you are capable of doing with it. And in the case of my definition Apple is much more tolerant.

Apple's focus is on thinness because most of their customers aren't power users by your definition. You're in the same group of people that want Apple to go back to making devices in the same size as the iPhone 4/4s or the group that wants the return of Touch ID.

I happen to agree with you though that Apple should make a thicker phone. I have a different reason for that but battery life is part of it.

However, it's just unlikely to happen.

5. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

Offer it as a limited edition run for one year. I think they would be surprised.

6. Caesars macrumors regular

Xr + Smart battery case solves all these problems.

I agree with OP 100% though, an iPhone won’t make it from 7AM - 11PM if you are actually using it.

7. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Apple never made any device friendly for power user nor they will ever make one. In their ideology, technology should be completely hidden from what users do. Technology is hindering the innovation, not helping it. Apple Watch is a typical device that expresses this idea to the general public: a device that user cannot even do a restore themselves.

For your use case, if reception is consistently bad, turn on aeroplane mode. This could help preserving the battery a bit.

8. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

I need to also use my phone, so airplane mode doesn't help me. My 5000mah Android phone can make it.

9. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

What exactly is a “power user?” You don’t even describe your usage.

Have had the plus since 6S days & always make it through the day with much of my usage being Music, Instagram, Facebook, some YouTube, internet browsing, some messaging.

End up with 30-40% at night with no charging throughout the day, about 7-8 hours of usage. Xs max is no different.

10. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Maybe mirror your working app or workflow as much as you can to your android phone.
    Or buy a thin battery case.
    As of now, there aren’t many people loving to carry a heavy iPhone. And iPhone XS Max is already noticeably heavier than iPhone 6s Plus. I guess your android phone does not use too much metal and/or glass on the phone, whereas iPhone XS Max has stainless steel frame and glass panels, all adding to the weight.

11. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

Power user is either someone who does a lot of processor intensive things, or someone who is constantly hurried in their phone and has the screen on nearly all day.

12. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I’d say we stop bickering about the exact definition of power user, and settle on the fact that iPhone just does not have a big enough battery compared to android counterparts.

13. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

That’s my main issue. A phone the size of the xs max can fit an extra 2000mah and not be an unwieldy beast. Yeah, iPhone has more tech inside their phones with their haptic engine and other parts. The 8+ I have has a laughably small battery for how big the footprint is. Make it a few mm thicker and give people like me who abuse their phones a decent runtime.

14. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

So your options are to either get the battery case which will cater to your needs, or drop Apple and pick up a phone with the battery that caters to your needs. The former is much easier than the latter, of course.

15. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

Apple should create a “pro” or “max plus” or whatever they want to call it version of their phone and offer unrivaled battery life. iOS is already so smooth, all that holds them back is a top notch camera (don’t care about this) and pretty poor battery usage times.

16. B_mark_R macrumors newbie

B_mark_R

17. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

I have a Moto G7 power. 5000mah, 6.2” screen. Stock android, Face ID and it was only $250 new. It’s got a 720p screen, but for my usage situation it’s ideal because it lasts all day even if I am using it for 16 hours without turning the screen off once. Gsmarena has it in the top 3 of any phone ever made in terms of battery life.

I’d pay $1,000+ for an iPhone XR that could do that. All it needs is a bigger battery. iOS already has class leading standby drain, the batteries are just too small in size.

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

If Apple cared about “power users” with regards to their mobile devices then iOS would have a real file management system, and maybe support for multiple users.

19. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Apple makes devices for hipsters sipping their lattes in Starbucks rather than true power users. Best get used to that ;)

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Surely all iPhone users like to think they are power users? No? :rolleyes:

21. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Clearly you have other options in the meantime, why is that such a difficult thing? The battery pack accomplishes just the same thing as making the iPhone thicker for battery space, including the thickness.

If you were really such a pro, wouldn't you be worried more about getting these solutions now, rather than wasting time complaining on a forum?

22. tonybarnaby thread starter macrumors 65816

That’s what a forum is, a place to express your opinions with like minded people. It seems you don’t understand what I said, so I will refrain from being rude to you and getting banned. Just because this is an Apple website doesn’t mean no one can be critical of them. It’s a FACT that Apple uses the smallest batteries of any top tier phone. The biggest battery apple has ever put into a phone is nearly 2000mah smaller than the one found in multiple cheap android phones. Samsung and OnePlus batteries are around 4000mah, while Apple barely hits 3000mah. Like it or not, it’s a fact. The smaller 6s/7/8 are nearly unusable for heavy users if they are not near an outlet or invest in a battery pack they may not want. Healthy criticism can bring change if enough people get behind it. My guess is the average person would trade a little bit of thickness for several more hours of usage from their phone.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The difference being, it’s not that easy, because that’s a totally different platform. If Apple can make a Phone and keep the consumer devoted, it’s because of iOS. To abandon iOS for android is one of the hardest things to do for any iPhone user that’s been committed for years, especially if you’re in Apples ecosystem with other iOS products

24. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

Then stop this silly discussion and just use the Android phone you keep crowing about! Geez.
    Clearly the whole point of this post was just to complain about the iPhone and put the precious Android on a pedestal.
    The really funny part is you talk about being in the office so much. Then why the heck are you using your mobile phone? Use the one on your desk, problem solved. Of course though, landlines are soooo archaic.
    Is it really that onerous to bring a charger to work? Get a spare and leave it in a locked drawer when you’re not there. Chargers and 10’ cables are relatively inexpensive.

25. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Sorry, I’m still stuck on the “power user” definition.

Honestly, iPhone doesn’t really have power user type applications the way a Mac or PC does