Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Glad I am not the only one feeling like this. My Huawei P30 Pro absolutely demolishes my iPhone XS Max in heavy usage battery life. I can literally sit on that P30 all day and still get home with about 65% battery. While the iPhone XS Max will have about 35-40% at best with less usage.

It is now almost 12PM at work, my iPhone is at 65%, typically my P30 would be at about 85-90% right now.

Using the iPhone in Low Power Mode with Spark Mail is the best combination I have found,you get Push email despite being in LP Mode and still get decent battery life.

I am absolutely loving how the iPhone integrates with everything else I use, how slick the UI is, how fast and reliable the Notifications are for all my email and of course how well optimized apps are for iOS, but iPhone battery life is decent at best and comparable to my old Samsung Galaxy Note8, it can just about get me through a day.

Of course the trade off for that battery life is the side of Chinese spying.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Lol! Someone’s always spying, Chinese or otherwise ,I have nothing to hide anyway.

But I really do wish Apple would throw in a 4500mAh battery into these things, would be perfect.

Yeah a bigger battery would be better, but we all see what happened when companies rush to shove bigger batteries in

Reactions: gs_geek

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Yeah a bigger battery would be better, but we all see what happened when companies rush to shove bigger batteries in

Haha! Oh yes! I wanted a Note7 so badly to #RIP

I don’t know how Huawei manages to fit these huge 4200mAh batteries in their phones and still keep them thin, maybe they stole someone’s future tech

Anyway, for now I am fine with my XS Max Battery, I carry a powerbank in my work bag anyway if I do run low, but I hope Apple wake up on the battery size issue.

Reactions: gs_geek

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Haha! Oh yes! I wanted a Note7 so badly to #RIP

I don’t know how Huawei manages to fit these huge 4200mAh batteries in their phones and still keep them thin, maybe they stole someone’s future tech

Anyway, for now I am fine with my XS Max Battery, I carry a powerbank in my work bag anyway if I do run low, but I hope Apple wake up on the battery size issue.

I would suspect the Taptic Engine, Face ID module, stereo speakers, 120hz touch sensing display, barometer, and curved OLED display eliminating the chin would take up a fair amount of space that could have been dedicated instead to just a larger battery like Huawei did.

But then the iPhone would be missing the hardware components that set it apart from android devices.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I would suspect the Taptic Engine, Face ID module, stereo speakers, 120hz touch sensing display, barometer, and curved OLED display eliminating the chin would take up a fair amount of space that could have been dedicated instead to just a larger battery like Huawei did.

But then the iPhone would be missing the hardware components that set it apart from android devices.

Huawei managed to fit a whole Periscope camera that can do 5x Optical Zoom, a module that makes the display act as an earpiece along with that 4200mAh Battery, so it’s not like they had much space to play with either.

All these OEMs have very limited space in their devices, looking at JerryRig on YouTube it’s all matter of engineering and keeping costs down.

Hopefully Apple can find a way. One thing that I do love about the XS Max is the no compromise Stainless Steel, this thing feels bloody expensive, cannot get over that feeling every time I pick it up.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Anker is clutch. I use this small ‘lipstick style (3350 mAh) charger’ when flying to charge my iPhone/AirPods, and it’s absolutely amazing. Not also does it just charge the phone, but its fairly high-quality materials and the Anker Charger charges in very little time. Outstanding products.

Just bought one of these a few weeks ago. I had purchased the very first version of this with Anker back in the day (years ago) - it has gotten so much smaller since then. Very nice :D.

I gave away my trusty Anker 10,000 mAh so I figured I better replace it with something. It joins my 20,100 (Anker USB-C), 20,000 (Anker), and 16,000 mAh (Anker ancient) lineup.

The 20,100 keeps my 2017 MBP charged for days and days. The 20,000 mAh is for home charging (our iPads/Phones). The 16,000 mAh I won for free in an Anker Ingress contest in 2014.

Now that summer is here, I can start solar charging these things again. The 3350 is going to be a LOT friendlier to solar charging. I can't wait. :)

Reactions: 44267547

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Huawei managed to fit a whole Periscope camera that can do 5x Optical Zoom, a module that makes the display act as an earpiece along with that 4200mAh Battery, so it’s not like they had much space to play with either.

All these OEMs have very limited space in their devices, looking at JerryRig on YouTube it’s all matter of engineering and keeping costs down.

Hopefully Apple can find a way. One thing that I do love about the XS Max is the no compromise Stainless Steel, this thing feels bloody expensive, cannot get over that feeling every time I pick it up.

Limited space is correct.

But I wouldn’t give up any of those components just for an occasional use periscope lens and a bigger battery. Honestly would prefer a thinner Xs Max with a smaller battery, but to each their own.

If you think the black Xs Max “feels bloody expensive” it’s a good thing you didn’t go for the gold.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
IPhone for power users.....point we’ll taken

Apparently apple is involved in so many projects that they decided to let the 2019 iPhone come out with the same style and minimal changes. So while customers aren’t updating their iPhones we’ll have to see what happens next
It'll never happen. Android phones need bigger batteries due to the inefficient nature of the os. Apple is obviously happy with what they are doing. I saw a TV ad the other day bragging about the XR having the best battery life on any iPhone.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Screenshot_20190527-192500.png

This is the kind of battery efficiency I want from Apple..

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Hey that looks like my Xs Max :). I'll end the first day >85% (usually in the 90s).

Screen On is usually around 2 hours --- screen off is usually 4.5 hours. (On the Battery screen). (Guesstimating) based on today's usage.

Last edited:

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
^^Not only this, but Android gets significantly worse as you go along. Anyone who doesn't believe in OS rot on Android hasn't used one long enough.

It might depend on the phone. I personally have used Android phones since 2009. I started using iPhone this year February (company phone, not my choice).

I have noticed in the past issues with lagging in Android but it was related to Samsung phones which IMO in the past did have issues with this due to the customization they have on top of stock Android. I cannot tell you right now if this is still the case or not.

I have used Sony phones for the last 5 years. Sony's customization of Android is rather minimal and honestly it is more about optimization than anything else. I experience no lagging, no issues with RAM or apps reloading, quite stable battery life (2/3 days). The current Sony phone I have is a 2017 model from September. The iPhone is I have is 2017 model from October. The Sony phone was bought last year April. The iPhone was bought this year February. I can tell you right now that Sony phone is more stable. Both phones do not experience lagging, but Sony has better RAM management and I experience minimal apps reloading. Also I experience no bugs on Sony while I experience bugs on the iPhone.

I used the previous Sony phone for 2 and half years before I bought a new one. I had hardware issues developing so I changed it. I had however no software issues at all. It had 2 GB RAM (unlike the new one that has 4 GB RAM) but I still experienced far less apps reloading than on the iPhone.

I mention the apps reloading because I find it annoying. This hinders my user experience and honestly it is unacceptable for me. I would not have bought such phone if it was with my own money.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Apple is so set in their ways that power users have been left in the dark since the original iPhone. People will immediately talk about the “amazing” battery life of the XR, but in the big picture the XR total usage time from 100 until dead isn’t that great.

I’ve been working more than normal lately, so that means my 8+ hasn’t made it through the day. Due to the nature of my work, I don’t like to bring a charger to work with me. I have terrible reception, so that adds to the battery drain issues I face. My Android phones are the only ones that can make it a full 16 hour work day (17 hours if you factor in driving to and from work)

You need more power but refuse to use a portable charging solution or use a charger, yet that's Apple's fault? Blatant user error here due to stubbornness, sorry.

I always slip my Anker power-bank in my laptop bag so I can charge my phone when needed. It's just being professional as it's my fault if I can't keep my phone going all day.

Reactions: bambooshots

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
You need more power but refuse to use a portable charging solution or use a charger, yet that's Apple's fault? Blatant user error here due to stubbornness, sorry.

I always slip my Anker power-bank in my laptop bag so I can charge my phone when needed. It's just being professional as it's my fault if I can't keep my phone going all day.

It’s not user error, it’s simply a user challenging their favorite phone maker to do better as the others are already doing it to, nothing wrong with that.

Hopefully they do that and add bigger batteries going forward, we want to see progression in Battery Life as we get newer devices.

Reactions: WingsAndBeer

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
It’s not user error, it’s simply a user challenging their favorite phone maker to do better as the others are already doing it to, nothing wrong with that.

Hopefully they do that and add bigger batteries going forward, we want to see progression in Battery Life as we get newer devices.

If you can't make it through 8+ hours then you need to do something to mitigate this issue.

The new 2019 phones may have 10% better battery life but people have more and more crap turned on, background services & so on, so any increase is lost with the sheer amount of things people are doing with their devices these days.

Lithium-ion battery tech is ancient. Until a legitimate replacement is available then battery life will forever be an issue. I can't recommend power banks enough. They have been a life saver for many people.

Reactions: bambooshots

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Apple is so set in their ways that power users have been left in the dark since the original iPhone. People will immediately talk about the “amazing” battery life of the XR, but in the big picture the XR total usage time from 100 until dead isn’t that great.

I’ve been working more than normal lately, so that means my 8+ hasn’t made it through the day. Due to the nature of my work, I don’t like to bring a charger to work with me. I have terrible reception, so that adds to the battery drain issues I face. My Android phones are the only ones that can make it a full 16 hour work day (17 hours if you factor in driving to and from work)

The XR gets a bit more than the 8+ from what I have seen, but why is apple so enamored with making thin phones. 75% of people probably think I’m being dumb, but there are a good number of people who won’t even consider an iPhone because they don’t last long enough. I much prefer my iPhone to my Android phone at the moment, but the android phone lasts twice as long on a single charge, and that’s very important to me.

I don’t play Pokémon go or any other gps game, but iPhones also struggle with those games due to sometimes laughably short use times. Apple dominates when it comes to standby drain, but they use such small batteries it’s inevitable they lag far behind android phones. Many people won’t even consider leaving apple, so they are left to just take what they are given.

It’s a shame that the best Apple has to offer (XR) would just be considered good in the Android world. I wish Apple would make a “pro” version of their phones and go all out. Make the normal Max phone their usual 3100mah or so, then charge an extra bit of money and give power users a phone with 4500mah. They would sell a boatload of them.
There's a lot here, but a lot of it is true.

However, if "power users have been in the dark since iPhone", doesn't that mean iPhone simply isn't for power users? Is there an android device for power users?

Get a XR with a battery case or move on. Simple as that.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
If you can't make it through 8+ hours then you need to do something to mitigate this issue.

The new 2019 phones may have 10% better battery life but people have more and more crap turned on, background services & so on, so any increase is lost with the sheer amount of things people are doing with their devices these days.

Lithium-ion battery tech is ancient. Until a legitimate replacement is available then battery life will forever be an issue. I can't recommend power banks enough. They have been a life saver for many people.

I own Powerbanks as well, but it would be great to get bigger batteries. My Huawei P30 Pro would easily do 1.5 to 2days easily with constant usage e.g. using GPS, Instagram, WhatsApp, a few phone calls and usage of Uber and UberEats. This would mean if I am doing a business trip for the day I could fly out that day at 6am and fly back in at about 7PM that night , get home and still have more than 50% battery.

I have to say though my XS Max seems to be managing almost as well as my Huawei, however with GPS it absolutely trails and obliterates it Battery.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
The issue about improving power consumption is an excellent one. I'm disappointed by a lot of the replies here. Of course Apple could do much better with all of their phones, they just need to make it a priority. To argue otherwise is absurd.

I say "power consumption" because there are multiple ways to approach the problem of short battery life. There is potential that hardware and software can be optimized to use less power, thus avoiding the need for larger batteries. I'm sure Apple could do this now but of course the expense would be passed on to the customer.

Basically I agree with the OP's point. Maybe it's unlikely Apple would tweak battery size and perhaps the ultimate size of the phone, or maybe not. But I have to believe Apple could, technically, do it now if they wanted to--and probably keep the fit and finish of the phone identical to what it is now.

Reactions: nebojsak and Tsepz

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Personally I don’t want a thicker heavier iPhone. Battery life of XR and XS Max is great in my opinion, however the XS, like iP8, doesn’t last all day.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The replies here have no impact on what Apple has done or what Apple will do. I'd love a phone that has 4 months battery life, I really would. But I never get what I want. :(

Any of you watch Terra Nova - that short lived TV Series? Remember the main character's daughter had that tablet that was run on some battery that lasted FOREVER (like months and months and months) - but wasn't rechargeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsepz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.