Why does everyone hate Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 0000757, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0000757 macrumors 68040

I understand where some things are flawed. I miss the original Expose over Mission Control, but it's not like you were forced to have it. Just downgrade! I keep seeing a lot of people constantly complaining about Lion and how Snow Leopard is a lot better, but didn't everyone complain about Snow Leopard when it came out? I'm just curious about all the Lion hate. It works well.

2. dumb macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I remember SL not coming great out of the gates. Why so people home directory getting erased bu the guest account login. Having said that Lion, which was supposed to be the king of cats, is underwhelming.

May be too much expectation.

3. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

No hate on my side; just two problems which really bother me: frequent beach ball (iMac 27" 2010, 2.9GHz with 12GB) and a screen which turn black by itself while I'm working. No screensaver or energy setting from what I can see.

Ah, and on a side note my dual screen setup becomes meaningless when using full screen. Not a critical one as I just don't have to use full screen. Fine with that.

Beside that: it just need some time to get mature.

4. iWind130290 macrumors member

Not hate Lion on my side. Lion is new. Just need time for it to be complete, stable and the best OS ever. I'm still using SL 10.6.8 now. Still wait for more patches. Maybe I'll take a look when 10.7.3 release (not beta).

5. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

I dont hate lion, I just hate the presumptions made by Apple that I would no longer want save as, wouldnt want coloured sidebar icons and would be happy to untick reopen apps option every time I shut down etc, with no option to revert to previous behaviour.

in contrast I've no problem with the new trackpad scrolling direction that ships as standard with Lion because I can turn it off

Over and above that what I'm truly sick and tired off is folks telling me 'if I dont like Lion I dont have to use it' and other inane p**h of the same sort - course I do, there's no prior OS version that'll work on a 2011 MBA

In some respects the biggest problem with Lion is what it represents long term, rather than what it itself has altered in its current form. IMO it doesn't bode well for the future when changes are made that the end user is expected to just suck up and deal with, rather than be given any option over wether they want them or not.

6. ZipZap macrumors 603

Spend some time reading the threads before posting. This thread is useless. And those with newer models cannot downgrade.

7. aoaaron macrumors 6502

i hate the fact itunes takes 20-30 seconds to open after every retart.. along with some other apps.

tried disk verfiy/repair and permissions, issues persists.

this is from a SL ---> Lion update.

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

That has been the way with Apple for a while

G3s and half of all G4s left behind with Leopard
    Forced to have 3d dock with Leopard

All PPCs left behind with Snow Leopard
    Expose changed (there was huge whining about this) with Snow Leopard

9. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I think Lion is meh. But I upgraded since it's a lot easier in the long run to stay current than to make lurching changes later.

I think that there has been more criticism of Lion than other upgrades for a few reasons.

First, it's a change to have to go through the App Store. And selling machines without disks and forcing folks to use Recovery HD and/or internet recovery is a big change, and has a lot of detractors, justifiably so IMHO.

Second, it eliminates Rosetta and deprecates lots of dying applications. It was inevitable, and this just happens to be the upgrade where it occurred. People using orphaned software were gonna complain at some point in the future; it isn't Lion's fault per se.

Third, some hardware running on it does seem to have systemic problems. Wifi, battery use, etc. Apple is a big company that never admits mistakes, and while it demands a premium for quality doesn't always deliver it. People are gonna complain, justifiably, when they pay twice as much for a computer that has software/hardware faults.

Fourth, Lion was an "upgrade" but it didn't really upgrade much, just changed it. Spaces is a good example; only a few see that as a positive change. When a piece of software just gets changed for no apparent reason with no apparent demand for that change, then people are gonna wonder why they paid for it. The Mac OS hasn't had much of anything in the way of innovation in a long time and people aren't going to want to keep paying for just rearranging what's already there.

Rob

10. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

only the people who hate Lion hate Lion. and, logically since this is a forum for help, suggestions, and complaints, there's a vocal group complaining about it.

it's not perfect (snow leopard, at 10.6.8, was pretty close to perfect IMHO).

but it's pretty good, and will become great over time.

for now, you use it or not. issues notwithstanding, am enjoying the hell out of it...

11. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I don't think everybody hates it, just some people i guess had too high expectations, also some people like to keep things the way they don't like change and/or innovation... I personally like lion now that most of my issues have disappeared.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I'm also a satisfied Lion user. Everything is peachy on my end, and the new features added are great for me. I especially love the new Mission Control compared to the old spaces/expose a sour point for many it seems.

13. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

I love Lion, other than weird graphics glitches I get intermittently (distorted areas on my screen; system freezes/kernel panics when watching video).

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't hate Lion. I just have no need for it. I only upgrade to a new OS when it meets my needs better than the OS I'm currently using. Lion doesn't.

15. 0000757 thread starter macrumors 68040

Newer models can't downgrade? Why?

16. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I don't see it as much of an improvement in any aspects. Battery life is worse, speed is slower, and there's some quirky things that aggravate me. (Safari remembering all of previous tabs after quit, "Reopen Windows" checkbox checked by default, etc.)

Now some things I appreciate are full screen apps, gestures, the updates to all of the old apps and the addition of iCloud. Maybe some of the quirks will be fixed in future updates, but I'm running 10.7.3 beta now and there's not much of an improvement.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

18. 0000757 thread starter macrumors 68040

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The link is good. Keep trying. You may need to clear your browser's cache.

20. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

I've been using OS X since the Public Beta. Unlike a lot of the vocal people on this board, I really like Lion. I've come to appreciate the gestures. I really like Launchpad (unlike most people on here) and have wanted something like it for years -- although Spotlighting an app is quick and easy too. I also use Mission Control more than I ever used Expose or Spaces.

Are there issues? Yes. They'll get worked out though. For the other stuff, I don't see Apple backing down, so we're going to have to get used to it. At some point, expect Microsoft to copy.

----------

Its 404ing on me with a clear cache as well. Worked on my 6th try.

21. 0000757 thread starter macrumors 68040

it worked so I edited the post.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Keep trying. The link is good:
    ScreenCap 48.PNG

23. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

a lot of people are reporting this (myself included).

in safari, in Lion, the apple support page links come up with an error.
    just reload the the page, and it will come up fine.

odd that it's the apple site, and apple's safari..!

24. MadDragon1846 macrumors regular

I love lion. But I was a PC user, so Lion is the only version I'v tried. :p

Only thing thats a bit annoying about it, is having to un-check that checkbox every time I want to shut my mini down. But I'm used to having to click a number of times to shut PCs down anyway. :D

25. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I really dislike Lion, cause they removed expose and changed Dashboard, as well as changed some touch controls

not to mention that iOS crazy of changing the scroll axis...(i know you can change it back)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.