Why does everyone hate the gold?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattXDA, Sep 13, 2014.

1. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

I've noticed that it seems no one on the forum likes the gold iPhone 6/6+ and I just wondered why, when it was so popular last year. I've actually bought the gold 6+ and all the hate is making me doubt my decision :D I understand that black is very nice but gold doesn't look ugly to me!

2. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

as long as you like it, its all that matters

3. edulinka macrumors member

I had and got it

I getting gold ones (5S) and 6Plus because it is will be easy to sell. Less availability

4. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

To me the antenna bands just seem so pronounced on the gold 6.

5. G-Ziss macrumors regular

I love the gold. In fact, it's the only one of the 3 colors that I like at all.

6. BingoBlue macrumors member

7. mashinhead macrumors 68030

I like the gold a lot. And I like the white bands on it as well. They blend the back and the front really well because it is the same color as the screen. For me gold and silver are the best looking ones.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I got two Golds in 128gb capacity.

Both a 6 and a 6+.

Won't matter the color mind you. Gonna use slim cases for both.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I prefer subdued rather than flashy. Personal taste.

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The gold is fugly.

11. Ayr macrumors 6502

Loads of people love the gold. You get some nobodies with no taste trying to knock on stuff they don't like - and they usually don't like anything that's not vanilla flavour.

If anything, Apple are too conservative with their colours.

The gold is a classy champagne colour anyway, not really gold as I would usually describe it - (I have a friend with a 'gold' iP5 which looks subtle and not flashy at all in person).

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I think it looks good. The novelty probably just wore off.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The thick antenna breaks aren't necessarily attractive, but the Silver and Space Gray hide them better as they're color-coded.

On the other hand, making the bands gold-colored might look even more tacky so I dunno.

14. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

The color is more like a bronze colored bra or underwear stocking material that was common in the 80s and in the past.

I can't explain it.

Its not Gold at all.

15. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I was going for the silver but now I'm thinking the gold. All I've ever had was the black so either will be refreshing to me.

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

One reason may just be in relation to the other colors. Gray and silver are neutral, gold is not. That means maybe it doesn't go with your suit or shirt or purse or tie or whatever. Neutral tones tend to highlight the form and blend in, colors draw attention to the color instead and may clash with surrounding colors.

17. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I think the gold looks very elegant. I am not crazy about the high contrast antenna bands and wish they would blend in a little more, that's all. However I think the overall warmth of the gold puts it back on equal footing with the two other colors, as the other two are lacking in warmth. But if something happens to my space gray order I'd happily take a gold or silver. I think they all look very nice.

You should feel free to get what you like. If someone says something rude about your choice, stare them down incredulously. Too many people think they can just run their mouths and say anything nasty that pops into their small minds. When someone stands up to a person like that with just a simple stinkeye, it often shuts them up.

Though to be fair to humanity, years ago I ran around with a ridiculously bulky Hitachi G1000 clipped to my waistband and nobody ever batted an eyelash about it. Different times, perhaps. I'd hate to think people have gotten more shallow, nosy and judgmental.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

With those giant lines, I think the gold looks the worst this year. There is much more contrast between gold and white than there is two different shades of grey and silver and grey. It's just how it is.

That said, I would have taken a gold phone had I been able to order lol.

19. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

20. christyxcore macrumors newbie

christyxcore

I was actually thinking of getting the gold. Then I noticed those white lines on the back — not a fan. Went with Space Gray. If the antenna band lines weren't so bad looking, and it was more like how the gold 5s looked, I would have gotten it.

21. butterfly92 macrumors member

butterfly92

I had my heart in gold 6+ but all the hate made me doubt that as well. You should do what makes you happy because you will be the one using the phone! I say go with what you like! :rolleyes:

22. CEmajr macrumors 601

With Apple refusing to release a proper black iPhone the Gold is the best looking one by default. At least that was the case with the 5S.

I need to see them both in person though before deciding concerning the 6.

23. Ortiz7983 Suspended

This. Gold one just looks fugly to me.

24. Ayr macrumors 6502

I ordered a 6 in gold for the missus. She loves it, and I'd happily use it too as a blokey bloke. It doesn't look anything out of the ordinary in person. Just looks nice. No-one irl would think twice about seeing you hold it.

25. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

It's just personal taste. The gold isn't ugly, nor tacky.

I preferred a change to black this time around though (coming from gold 5S).