Why doesn't Apple remove the youtube app to force google to make a decent one?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by IMPOSSIBLEMAN, Jun 28, 2012.

1. IMPOSSIBLEMAN macrumors member

Why doesn't Apple remove youtube to force google to make a decent one?

The youtube app on ios is bad really bad. I prefer to use the browser on ipad and never watch youtube on my iphone.

Google will build a youtube app for ios so quickly. They can not lose all of that traffic and I do not think that any build will be worse than the current one

2. depths macrumors regular

depths

How would Apple make more money by removing the current YouTube app?

I agree that it is terrible. An updated version is available on the Play Store with Googles new UI improvements and it pulls even further away from the IOS app.

3. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

It's not Google that builds iOS' YouTube app, it's Apple.

And yes, it is severely outdated, you cannot even load all of your subscriptions in the list.

4. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Why aren't you blaming Apple for failing to make a better Youtube app? They have the API and they're not gonna let Google's app integrate with the OS, so it's all on Apple's shoulders.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What's wrong with it? Does it not play videos?

6. depths macrumors regular

depths

7. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Maybe the videos/playlists/channels you're subscribed to are not syndicated for mobile browsing. So I guess, that's not Apple's fault then.

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

A refresh would be cool, but I don't expect it anytime soon.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I don't understand what it needs. I can search, play video, stream to my AppleTV, have access to my account playlists, favorites, my videos, subscriptions... I can move videos to playlists and tag as favorites, etc.

People keep saying to improve, but I don't see what it's lacking...

Yes, it looks different from the Android version, but information and functionality doesn't seem to be different.

If you REALLY just want a different UI. You can block the youtube app in Settings->General->Restrictions. Then put a home screen shortcut to m.youtube.com.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

The only thing I would like to see on the YouTube app is the ability to to filter results by upload date. Searching for new videos and being shown old ones is not good. Apart from that the app works pretty well all round

11. yagran macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see the ability to select a bunch of videos for offline viewing (for when your on a plane or the tube). Its annoying that you can't even buffer an entire video to watch later, it only buffers a few minutes of video max.

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Apple makes the app. Can't blame Google on this one.

13. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

That's piracy unless the video uploader allows it.

14. IMPOSSIBLEMAN thread starter macrumors member

I know that Apple is the maker of the current app.

What I am suggesting is that Apple removes the current youtube app

I think google will not take a long time before releasing a youtube app for the ios

Google should be the maker of youtube app not apple

15. rogelio1017 macrumors member

umm no thats not what you implied. YOu thought google made youtube app for iOS lol by the way Android's Youtube app is amazing! no complaints at all.

16. irDigital0l Guest

Lol you can't even like/dislike videos or check your account or your inbox or have better customization.

No search suggestions either.

Use the mobile web version now and hid stock one with restrictions.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Actually you can like/dislike videos. The option is part of the overlay on the iPad, though buried in the comment system on the iPhone/iPod touch.

18. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

I would use the mobile app, but it annoys me that it will open a new page in Safari each time. It would be nice if web apps opened in a non-Safari tab.

19. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Lock the YouTube app in ios restrictions and it will force safari to use the mobile version in html5, much better.

20. Soundflunky macrumors regular

Doesn't retricting the app disable the ability to play embedded videos in Safari?

21. MacDiaz macrumors member

Works Fine for me

I have not had any issues with the app , it always plays videos and find what I am searching for

22. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I think it's only pulling down 720p quality videos and not 1080p or 4K ones, which would look considerably better on the iPad 3's retina display.

There is no continuous playback/playlist support at all.
    There is no way to view a user's channel and search through their videos/playlists.
    There are no filtering options for search results.

This disables playback of many embedded videos in Safari, I can't recommend it. (seems to depend on how the video was embedded, some work fine)

23. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

playlists is where it's at ... i'd really love support for EXTERNAL playlists i.e. the entire season of a web series without having to manually pick the correct next part from the sidebar (where the numbering is cut off, most of the time)

24. IMPOSSIBLEMAN thread starter macrumors member

It gets me sad looking at the youtube app on android and comparing it to the one we have

When apple dropped google maps, I was happy because I know that google won't take long before releasing google maps to ios with much much better app build than before.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Who uses the YouTube app to view vids anyways? I think YouTube mobile is far better. I can even watch most YouTube vids native on the full desktop site since most vids are converted nowadays.