Why everyone stopped using Siri

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audix, Aug 2, 2012.

1. audix macrumors regular

2. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Yup. Use it a few times a week for checking calendars, making calls and playing music while driving.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this, and reminders.

4. audix thread starter macrumors regular

^ I use voice control for that. Siri wasn't working so I had to shut it down.

5. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Use it a lot in my car. Setting alarms and reminders... I am tempted to do the Urban Dictionary Mod for Siri.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I still use it.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

how often do you need to know what a dirty Sanchez or batwing is?

8. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

LOL, sometimes, you just gots to know.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

10. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

11. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I think the OP should edit their thread title since clearly, based on the replies in this thread alone, not everyone has stopped using Siri. :)

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Looking forward to using it on my iPad when iOS 6 comes out...

14. scgf macrumors member

I had to stop using it - my iPhone was in danger of me throwing it out of the car window.

Just a simple matter of trying to call my mate, who is called Sharon. I say 'Call Sharon xxxx, mobile' and I get 'I don't see Shandy in your address book. I say it again and it comes back with 'I don't shee Shanthi in your address book', it then moves to 'Shandy', then 'Shanghi' then eventually gets the first name right but goes through all permutations of the surname. Meanwhile I'm getting more and more stressed as all I want to do is make a simple phone call!

It used to work 100% accurately before Siri - never got it wrong.

In the end I have to pick up the phone, enter my password and make the call manually - while I'm driving, which I really don't want to do, not least because it is illegal in the UK to touch a mobile phone while driving.

I have a neutral British accent - not Scottish....

15. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

In the Settings app, you can turn on the old Voice Control (and thus turn off Siri).

16. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I've never really used it in the first place other than the first week just to test it.

I'm a French Canadian and it's totally useless for me.

It won't understand my French because it expects France French so I set it in English.

Then when I ask it to read a French text / email in English it goes "Isdfib Ahghggf ifgub" like Microsoft Sam.

I can't ask it to text people either since It will only understand English and I won't start texting my French-speaking friends in English just for the heck of using Siri.

Whenever I ask something that involves location it goes "Sorry, I can't look for places in Canada".

I occasionally say "Play [track name]" while driving but the old voice assistant did this as well, now the only difference is that it sometimes doesn't work because I don't have data reception, or just takes much more time.

So yeah, basically it's only good to set a reminder, but even then I still do it manually because it doesn't really take longer and that's what I've been used to for years.

17. Lioncrazz macrumors member

I love siri. I use it on a daily basis for calls, texts, calendar appointments, reminders (omni focus), and web searches. I find Siri to be tremendously useful and convenient.

18. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Pretty much given up here as it used to work 95% of the time. Now it's more like 10% on a good day, the rest of the time I get the usual pauses and try again.

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I use it a few times a week for reminders, sms, and voice dialing. I drive stick shift so Siri comes in handy on the road.

20. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Use Siri all the time.

I'm actually stuck using Siri exclusively till Friday because my screen won't turn on. :(

But Siri is getting the job done. She's reminding me of things, sending messages, reading messages, adding calendar events, making calls, and making music selections.

She works great.

21. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I agree it needs to be changed, or u change it. :D

22. scgf macrumors member

Thank you! I didn't know that!

23. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

:confused:

"Why everyone stopped using Siri"

Title does not make sense.....Since everyone is not supported, not to mention your next quote asking if anyone is still using it....

24. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

You're welcome. ;) It has some advantages over Siri (such as: more languages supported, offline usage), but it obviously isn't as advanced as Siri.