Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i use it very rarely.

my biggest gripe is with the time it takes for siri to compute and complete the task... and if it misunderstands anything then it would take double the already extended time.

ironically it was designed to make things faster and easier but i can only afford to use it when i have plenty of time for it.

yesterday i had a conversation with siri along these lines:

me: schedule dinner with Chris at 8pm on saturday

siri: i have scheduled your dinner with Christian XXX on Saturday at 8pm.

me: No, not Christian, change it to Christopher.

siri: to which Christopher email shall i send it to: home, home or work?

me: whatever

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I still have a firm belief that Siri[and any other server assistant] is a gimmick. A lot of the times when I hear someone giving it dictations I'll also hear "Would you like me to search for 'blah blah blah blah'?" It's even better when I hear it claiming that it can't answer their questions right now and to try again later. The people will keep trying to repeat themselves while they could of accomplished the task much quicker if they actually navigated through the phone.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Right. A poll of only 100 biased macrumors people where more than 50% said they either never use it or don't find it that useful. That tells us a lot. :rolleyes:

Considering the OP asked a similar question, to the same exact biased people on MacRumors, it should tell you a lot.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Considering the OP asked a similar question, to the same exact biased people on MacRumors, it should tell you a lot.

Yes then it tells you that over 50% think it's not useful. And most of the others use it only sparingly.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Yes then it tells you that over 50% think it's not useful. And most of the others use it only sparingly.

Sparingly = at least once a week to you? Interesting.

The OP's question was if people still use it. According to the poll, almost 75% occasionally still do and 45.71% use it at least once a week.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I use Siri mostly in the car when reading or texting. I don't use it often, probably 3-4 times a week. Most times I never check my text while driving, but if I'm expecting information for work while I'm on the road I'll have Siri read me the text.

I've also used Siri to find stuff on maps and general info. The biggest issue for me is GETTING to Siri. I have to press four keys to unlock my phone then hold down the home button. There should be a way to activate Siri from outside the phone. While I know this is not possible without screwing over security, it would make using Siri much easier.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
One word: Obnoxious

A few words: It doesn't do anything I can't do myself, the way I want to, in complete silence.

Comments: The last thing needed is more ambient noise.

And you wonder why people are stressed, angry, etc.

I choose to move my digits, doing the task in zen like silence.

Namaste

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Sparingly = at least once a week to you? Interesting.

The OP's question was if people still use it. According to the poll, almost 75% occasionally still do and 45.71% use it at least once a week.

I've completely stopped using it/never used it: 25.47%
Only a couple times a month. It's mostly gimmicky/not useful: 16.04%
Only a couple times a month. I like it, but the servers are down too much and/or mis-hears me: 12.26%
At least once a week 16.98%
Nearly every day 16.04%
Multiple times a day. Fully integrated into my routine. 13.21%

People who use it at MOST a COUPLE of times a MONTH and said that there are problems with it: 25.47% + 16.01% + 12.26% = 53.74%

People wo use is MORE than a coupl of times a week: 16.04% + 13.21% = 29.25%

Not that this poll means anything, because it doesn't.

Use Siri all the time.

I'm actually stuck using Siri exclusively till Friday because my screen won't turn on. :(

But Siri is getting the job done. She's reminding me of things, sending messages, reading messages, adding calendar events, making calls, and making music selections.

She works great.

Wow that kind of seems like a fun challenge... Use siri exclusively with a dead screen for a few days. Obviously there are many things that can't be done like surf the web or use 3rd party apps, but you can still use the essential functions and then some. Calls, texts, read/send email, music, events, reminders... can you answer a call with siri?

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
Wow that kind of seems like a fun challenge... Use siri exclusively with a dead screen for a few days. Obviously there are many things that can't be done like surf the web or use 3rd party apps, but you can still use the essential functions and then some. Calls, texts, read/send email, music, events, reminders... can you answer a call with siri?

That's the one thing I can't do that I wish I could.

EDIT: I mean, besides all the stuff that I would normally do with a functioning screen.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
I have never seen anyone using Siri in a public place, despite living on a university campus where lots of people have iPhones. Maybe it's because the location based services don't yet exist in the UK. I've only seen it in action when some of my 4S-owning friends have showed it to me.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I've completely stopped using it/never used it: 25.47%
Only a couple times a month. It's mostly gimmicky/not useful: 16.04%
Only a couple times a month. I like it, but the servers are down too much and/or mis-hears me: 12.26%
At least once a week 16.98%
Nearly every day 16.04%
Multiple times a day. Fully integrated into my routine. 13.21%

People who use it at MOST a COUPLE of times a MONTH and said that there are problems with it: 25.47% + 16.01% + 12.26% = 53.74%

People wo use is MORE than a coupl of times a week: 16.04% + 13.21% = 29.25%

Not that this poll means anything, because it doesn't.

If someone were to use it "MORE than a coupl of times a week," but not every day, that's the option they'd choose.

Once again, while this poll may not mean anything in the real world or how the average person on the street uses Siri, but it clearly answers the OP's 'yes or no' question.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm sure I'll use her more once iOS 6 is released. As for now, I very rarely use her. Maybe once or twice a month at most.

audix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
This isn't a discussion about an old survey. Since that survey came out, Siri had been bashed in reviews. And the program has since, by a large amount of users, fallen into disuse.

I, consider the program to be a failure ultimately, it's frustrating to the point where I wasn't going to take it any more. It's something you have to experience yourself just to know how bad it truly is. And I count myself among the people that vows to never use Siri again unless reviews say that the program makes a turn for the incredible.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.