Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
Picked up a Silver off FB market place for $1100AUD, $800 off retail, base model, lady bought it from amazon then realised was too small GB on setting it up, don't think she realised she could of returned it, bought another 1TB one, was out of the 30 day return by time she sold it to me anyway.
Brand new condition didn't even use it after setting it up, and still available for apple care, scored.

I have a 24" iMac and 11" iPad Pro so this is just for using around the house away from my home office and on trips.
No complaints really its only for basic uses, it's light looks good and battery is excellent, not as fast as my iMac but does the job.
My daughter has the M1 air, I prefer the look of the M2, bigger screen, smaller borders, notch doesn't worry me.

Don't think I would pay retail for one though.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Picked up a Silver off FB market place for $1100AUD, $800 off retail, base model, lady bought it from amazon then realised was too small GB on setting it up, don't think she realised she could of returned it, bought another 1TB one, was out of the 30 day return by time she sold it to me anyway.
Brand new condition didn't even use it after setting it up, and still available for apple care, scored.

I have a 24" iMac and 11" iPad Pro so this is just for using around the house away from my home office and on trips.
No complaints really its only for basic uses, it's light looks good and battery is excellent, not as fast as my iMac but does the job.
My daughter has the M1 air, I prefer the look of the M2, bigger screen, smaller borders, notch doesn't worry me.

Don't think I would pay retail for one though.

That's what makes the longevity one of the biggest selling points for Apple. That mid-2011 13" MBA cost me $1595. If I did the math for the 11 years and counting that I've had it: 12 months * 11 years = 132 months. 1595/132 = $12.08 per month.

If a Mac can last me 11 years to the point where I'm barely paying $12/month to this day, every day one owns one the retail cost makes it more affordable throughout the lifetime of the Mac. That is where futureproofing comes in: If you spec it out for lasting a long time, your return on the investment will be totally worth it.

BL.

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
That's what makes the longevity one of the biggest selling points for Apple. That mid-2011 13" MBA cost me $1595. If I did the math for the 11 years and counting that I've had it: 12 months * 11 years = 132 months. 1595/132 = $12.08 per month.

If a Mac can last me 11 years to the point where I'm barely paying $12/month to this day, every day one owns one the retail cost makes it more affordable throughout the lifetime of the Mac. That is where futureproofing comes in: If you spec it out for lasting a long time, your return on the investment will be totally worth it.

BL.
Yeah, my wife has a 13" MBP early 2015 base model still as good as when got it, was an apple refurb.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
It's true, MBPs are finally good again.
But that doesn't mean all Macs need to be so spectacular.

Some do need to be form over function. In many respects, that's what the MacBook Air was designed to be.
And that's why people shelled out $2700 for the original model. Slow hard drive, crappy screen, flop down USB door. But an exec who didn't need any speed was thrilled to toss their 5lb grey dell.

I truly think the M2 MBA should have been the new MacBook. The EveryMan's Mac.
The MacBook Air should be thin and light and have compromises to make it that way.
Every Pro device was horrible. That’s not a good thing.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
A strong case can be made the M1 MBA is *objectively* thinner than the M2 MBA.

Several have rejected that because the M2 MBA's height of .44“ is clearly less than the .63” of M1 MBA.

Well, that data is right, but cherry-picked. It uses the M1's greatest height! Instead, consider the other end, which is only .11”. That means the M1 MBA is only 1/4 the height of the M2! Clearly, by that measure, it's the thinner one. 😎

But that would be cherry-picking, too. Of greater relevance, consider this. The M2's height of .44” is *greater* than the average height of the M1 MBA, which is roughly .395”. (Half way between .16” and .63”.).

See https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

Objectively, therefore, the M1 MBA is thinner. 👍🏼 💯

Another point. Bizarrely, we've also had this asserted, albeit not in this thread.

“Despite not having a tapered design, the new ‌MacBook Air‌ delivers a 25 percent volume reduction over the previous generation”​

Color me skeptical! How can that be true?

The M2 MBA is slightly *deeper* than the M1 (8.46” vs. 8.36”) and, as noted, has a greater average height across its chassis!

There is no way the M2 MBA could have 25% *less* volume. As they say in math classes:

”Show your work!” 😎​

Finally, there's this whole “modern” vs. “outdated” debate that keeps getting rehashed.

Describing the M2 MBA as “modern” is, at one level, laughable as it is a throwback to the classic, vintage MacBook Pro box shape. It looks generic and dated.

In contrast, for many people, the M1 MBA with its slanting wedge still looks futuristic. Of course, at another level, it's hard to describe the taper as “modern“ given how many years it's been around! 🙈

Still, I’d cast my vote with Ken's original blunt critique of the new design language, at least as to the MBA.

Yes, Jonny Ive made a fetish out of thinness and much was lost along the way because of it, but the tapered MBA was a breakthrough in design language. It combined form and function, was a delight to use, and retains a magic the rectangular box shape lacks.
Excellent points! If one is going to choose function over form with the M2 MacBook Air, they can at least be aware of the average thinness between M1 and M2 versions, and the differing interpretations of "modern" design.

Reactions: outlawarth

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I don't know about ruined but man do I like the wedge , I've had an air in the past , back in the I5 days. I have a 2021 pro, but when I saw this air I type on at amazon for $799 I decided to try it out and have a smaller form factor to carry around. Even thou the Pro isn't huge, this wedge air I just love this form factor and I'm glad I got the last one.

Reactions: ZipZap

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You not liking the new design does not translate into Apple ruining the M2 Air for everyone else. You are in the minority.
Apple ruins things all the time then relents. The current design makes no sense since its not about thermals. The love affair with fingerprints needs to end.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This is complaining just to complain. Clearly there are other finishes you can choose if you don't like the Midnight color.
Then don’t get the midnight. Relent and get any of the other colors.

Who said anything about Midnight. I simply used fingerprints as an example of long standing bad design. The point is Apple makes bad choices: Bezels, Notches, Keyboards, Heat, Fake heat dispersion, colors, style, Ive.....

Technerd108

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2021
Who said anything about Midnight. I simply used fingerprints as an example of long standing bad design. The point is Apple makes bad choices: Bezels, Notches, Keyboards, Heat, Fake heat dispersion, colors, style, Ive.....

All OEM's make bad choices and sub par hardware, poor designs, crappy driver updates for windows, etc.

Buy a Samsung galaxybook2 pro 360 in graphite and lets talk fingerprints.

Heat dissipation was more a problem with Intel exaggerating the thermal constraint of their chips and Apple taking their word and making laptops with little headroom. Bad choice sure but it was not completely on Apple. Look at the new MBP'S cooling system-seems pretty adequate to me.

Apple is not perfect and they make mistakes all the time but so do other manufacturers but it is easier to just blame Apple. At least they try to correct their mistakes.

Whether you like Apple and their design choices is up to you but to say they are poorly designed is a joke since they have influenced the entire pc market in laptop space and phone market in Android space.

Either their designs suck as you say and entire markets are stupid or something you are saying doesn't add up. People don't keep buying bad products. Apple would be out of business if what you said was true.

I have a lot of problems with Apple at times like the 10th gen iPad for example but they are just a company and sometimes they screw up just like every other OEM out there.

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
Silver does solve the FP issue, tried Midnight looked cheap to me and not into wiping down every 5 mins, and have had SG.
The choice was made for me this time as I got it so cheap lol.

lima90001

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2022
Having the M2 MacBook air and the MacBook 12" (which is only 0.92 kg or 2 lbs) I truly think all people are right at the same time.

While there is no doubt the M2 MB air is better in terms of speed, battery life, MagSafe, etc, but I honestly would prefer, at least for myself, something as light and as thin as the MacBook 12" Retina (which I actually bought a new one for myself, after Apple stopped selling it), and since it is lighter than an iPad Pro with its wonderful Magic Keyboard, I have started to use it more often, due to its light weight (only 0.92 kg or 2 lbs!!!).

Yes, its i7 is not as powerful, the battery really for small trips, yet it is still powerful enough for some specific uses.

So, yes, all are right.

M2 is powerful, bulky, sturdy, heavier, lovely MacSafe, cooler.... But the MacBook 12 is such a light thing!!!

Let Apple makes its Magic and make a 12 MacBook Pro lighter than the MacBook 12 with an M2 or M3!!!
Yes, some people actually love UltraBooks, such as me, and will definitely buy one!!!!

Why let other company have such nice light things, when Apple used to have one?
Long life the UltraBook!!! Sometimes to have something as light and futuristic, one needs to go to the past!! (sometimes you find daring things, such as the MB 12")

Gudi

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Why? Because Apple design is susceptible to trends. The flat design started with iPads and iPhones and works itself through the entire product lineup with varying results. I think it's useful to compare the MacBook Air with the iMac. Both Macs used to be incredibly thin at the very edge with a hidden bulge (underneath/behind) to contain all the computer innards. Both have been updated with a uniform thickness across the entire device. The new design makes the 24-inch iMac look almost invisible from the side and nobody even notices that the edge got a few millimeters thicker. But the same treatment made the MacBook Air look as if the thickest part of the old Air design is now applied to the entire body. It looks much thicker and heavier than before and even makes a mock of the name "Air". It's genuinely bad design and in urgent need of an early redesign. It's also a shame that they didn't go for colors.

MacBook-Air-With-more-Colors-And-an-M2-Chip-930x450.jpg

Last edited:

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
So much glare on these M2 screens.

So seems dark mode is the culprit, much better on light.

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
But the same treatment made the MacBook Air look as if the thickest part of the old Air design is now applied to the entire body. It looks much thicker and heavier than before and even makes a mock of the name "Air".
Not even close. The thickest point on the M1 MacBook Air is 0.63” (1.61cm). The M2 MacBook Air is 0.44” (1.13 cm). The M2 MBA is almost 30% thinner. The new MBA is also a bit lighter than the old one.

Reactions: SlCKB0Y and Tagbert

Gudi

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Not even close. The thickest point on the M1 MacBook Air is 0.63” (1.61cm). The M2 MacBook Air is 0.44” (1.13 cm). The M2 MBA is almost 30% thinner. The new MBA is also a bit lighter than the old one.
But it doesn't look that way. Nobody ever saw the thickest part (0.63 inch) of the old MacBook Air. The thin front edge (0.16 inch) made all the impression. The new MacBook Air is 175% thicker than the old one at its thinnest part.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
When trying to fit something into something, the thickest part is the limiting factor. Therefore, from a purely functional standpoint, I would compare max thickness for the M1 MBA at .63" to the M2 MBA at .44". From an aesthetic point of view, it becomes more subjective because the M1 tapper design gives the illusion of thinness....so, eye of the beholder.

I have owned both the older wedge design and the current M2 MBA, and I like them both about equally. Honestly, I don't see any significant advantage or disadvantage either way. Both are very functional and great designs. I would note that the M2 has a slightly larger footprint owing to the larger screen size. I notice that difference more than the difference in thinness. The slightly larger footprint is worth it to me because I appreciate every little bit of extra screen real estate on this size laptop.

Reactions: Tagbert

Tagbert

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
But it doesn't look that way. Nobody ever saw the thickest part (0.63 inch) of the old MacBook Air. The thin front edge (0.16 inch) made all the impression. The new MacBook Air is 175% thicker than the old one at its thinnest part.
That was the pretty lie told by the old design. It presented a thing front but hid its bulk behind. That’s OK but the new Air is more honest about its design.

In any case, neither of those things make the new or old Air a bad design and both have been very successful as a tool and in the market. I‘m not sure why some feel the need to come here and whine about what an awful failure one design is.

Reactions: jdb8167

Gudi

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
That’s OK but the new Air is more honest about its design.
Honesty is not a look. It does look thick. The best thing you can say, is that you don't have to sacrifice battery capacity for terraced batteries anymore. The battery production can become easier and cheaper without the limitations of the tempered edge design.
In any case, neither of those things make the new or old Air a bad design and both have been very successful as a tool and in the market.
Actually Apple warned that Mac sales this Christmas won't keep up with last years quarter. The M1 transition with old design was the big cash cow and demand for the redesign M2 is lackluster in comparison.
I‘m not sure why some feel the need to come here and whine about what an awful failure one design is.
Because the speculative renderings of a colorful MB Air with white keys were just too good.

46342-93915-Green-MacBook-Air-desk-xl.jpg

Reactions: macsound1

Tagbert

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Honesty is not a look. It does look thick. The best thing you can say, is that you don't have to sacrifice battery capacity for terraced batteries anymore. The battery production can become easier and cheaper without the limitations of the tempered edge design.

Actually Apple warned that Mac sales this Christmas won't keep up with last years quarter. The M1 transition with old design was the big cash cow and demand for the redesign M2 is lackluster in comparison.

Because the speculative renderings of a colorful MB Air with white keys were just too good.
"Honesty" is certainly a component of a design. A design can deceive you or it can show you what it is. The older, wedge designs hid their bulk behind a slim edge. Not making a value judgement of that design, just that what you see is not what you get.

Apple warned that sales would be down this quarter because of the recession. Apple's sales are still up relative to other computer vendors meaning that their products are more appealing. Where are you getting figures that that there is any lackluster from the redesign? Or are you just misinterpreting the guidance?

Those speculative designs were pretty close to what we got in the Air though Apple did not follow through with that pastel & white color scheme. Based on the feedback it got here, that is probably for the best. Also that is not the wedge-shaped design, that is the current rectilinear design.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdb8167

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

View attachment 2114040
Terraced battery design was done in the 12” MacBook, not the MacBook Air.

If the new MBAs looked like that render I would have one already. That’s freaking sweet! I’d Love that in purple to match my 12 mini.

Gudi

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Terraced battery design was done in the 12” MacBook, not the MacBook Air.
I thought it was in all wedge shaped laptops, but apparently not. 😔
If the new MBAs looked like that render I would have one already. That’s freaking sweet! I’d Love that in purple to match my 12 mini.
If we remember Steve Jobs four quadrants, then the professionals are swayed by performance, but the consumers are swayed by design. The MacBook Air needs to be beautiful even when turned off.

four-quadrants.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.