Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Drops are inevitable. I have kids. My current phone has been dropped a number of times and I'm sure it would have broken by now without a case. For the time being that's the difference between a phone in a case and not having a working phone at all.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have put cases on every single iDevice I have ever owned. Why? Because they are all too damn thin. Crap to hold and handle without the added heft of a decently stout case.

I don't even consider anything more anaemic than an Otterbox or a Griffin Summit as worthy of consideration. And if I do drop it, the ground gets hurt, not my property. No faffing around with AC+ or waiting to get an appointment with Apple's overtitled admins.

Reactions: foxconn

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Just to dang slippery for me to hang onto. I'd be dropping it all the time without a case. I always get a minimal shell case, nothing clunky and always some sweet, soft high end leather not some el cheapo TPU. It looks much better than no case.

BearBert

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
I can't imagine using my devices without a case, let alone screen protector. I'm just too clumsy and the added protection gives me peace of mind.

Reactions: Sunny1990

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Drops are inevitable. I have kids. My current phone has been dropped a number of times and I'm sure it would have broken by now without a case. For the time being that's the difference between a phone in a case and not having a working phone at all.
I have kids too.

They learned from an early age not to touch my stuff and their mother's stuff.

We weren't handing a toddler or a four year old our ~$900 devices to play with.

Consequently, there were no drops of our devices by our kids.

Not that what you do is wrong, I am not saying that. Just saying what we did.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Folks there is no right or wrong way to use an iPhone.
Its all personal preference whether you like to use a case or not with your device.
What works for some might not work for others that's all.

Without a doubt, I do use a case sometimes when I need one but mostly no case.

I remember back with the 4/4s people were spending up to £200 on a single case and some were talking about getting skins for their cases to protect them.

It is all about reason, my wife has a new car arriving next month and she is spending nearly £3k on protecting the cars paint but that is for protection of the car for resale in 5 or so years time when it should be worth very close or even more than what she is paying for it.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I have kids too.

They learned from an early age not to touch my stuff and their mother's stuff.

We weren't handing a toddler or a four year old our ~$900 devices to play with.

Consequently, there were no drops of our devices by our kids.

Not that what you do is wrong, I am not saying that. Just saying what we did.

I don't let my kids play with my phone. Sometimes, I put it down to respond to one child and the other inevitably finds it.

I've also had my own share of accidental drops.

Reactions: eyoungren

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I go caseless. I don't care too much about scratches and the resale value. I've never dropped and broken/cracked a phone before, and if I do I'll just fork out the money to fix it. I love the feeling of a naked iPhone in hand, the thinness in the pocket, and enjoying the design. I've never worn a case longer than a few weeks.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
It's not impossible.

It it were impossible my iPhone 6s+ would be damaged right now.

It's not damaged, hence it cannot be impossible.

It may not be possible for you, but just because it's not possible for you it does not mean it's impossible for anyone else.

And yes, I do have something smart to say. I'm pointing out the difference between assumptions about not using cases and my own experience - which has so far been different than what those assumptions dictate.

It's a damn fact that the material used on the iPhone is slippery. It's a FACT. Not an opinion, a fact.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It's a damn fact that the material used on the iPhone is slippery. It's a FACT. Not an opinion, a fact.
Not really fact. Yes, the black glossy material is slippery compared to matte, but provided your hands aren't overtly dry or incredibly wet, you won't have slippage issues. I suppose if you have a weak grip, have sweaty palms and are careless, then it is indeed an issue.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Fact for you, opinion for others.

It's a fact. A scientific fact.

Aluminum is a slippery material. That's a fact whether it's slippery for you for not.
[doublepost=1486344597][/doublepost]
Not really fact. Yes, the black glossy material is slippery compared to matte, but provided your hands aren't overtly dry or incredibly wet, you won't have slippage issues. I suppose if you have a weak grip, have sweaty palms and are careless, then it is indeed an issue.

Jet black wasn't slippery for me cause of the way the phone is finished. The matte phones are.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not arguing or denying that it ISN'T slippery and that it ISN'T a fact.

What I am arguing is that I have not dropped my phone just because it's slippery and doesn't have a case and that therefore slipperiness cannot be the sole reason for dropping a phone in all instances.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm not arguing or denying that it ISN'T slippery and that it ISN'T a fact.

What I am arguing is that I have not dropped my phone just because it's slippery and doesn't have a case and that therefore slipperiness cannot be the sole reason for dropping a phone in all instances.

I think Foxconn is arguing for the sake of arguing. You more than enough clarified your reasoning behind being why you prefer caseless to him. I would say most others agree with you, as well as I.

Last edited:

TwitchyPuppy

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2016
Canada
I see your iPhone 5 and raise you a regularly used 3GS. In fact I used it all last week with my SIM in it as my main phone to get away from the distractions of social media as I don't install FB/Insta/etc on it. Great music player (iOS 6 and below had the best music app), still good battery life somehow, good performance with the stock apps and Messenger, Opera, etc other light apps.

I use it totally naked and it feels great in the hand.

upLgvuel.jpg

T00E2Xbl.jpg

6NlopiRl.jpg

I did you manage to install Messenger and Opera on it? Mine doesn't let me ._.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I think Foxconn is arguing for the sake of arguing. You more than enough clarified your reasoning behind being why you prefer caseless to him. I would say most others agree with you, as well as I.
I agree.

My reason for this thread wasn't to cause controversy (although I knew the topics often do here on MR) but simply to show what I do with my spare devices and how I use them. And I think I have clearly stated that it was also not my intent to force my views on anyone.

I wasn't expecting outright opposition to a personal choice however. :)

Even if it doesn't make sense to another person. But how we all use our own devices is up to us and I respect that - even if it's not how I would use my own.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
I agree.

My reason for this thread wasn't to cause controversy (although I knew the topics often do here on MR) but simply to show what I do with my spare devices and how I use them. And I think I have clearly stated that it was also not my intent to force my views on anyone.

I wasn't expecting outright opposition to a personal choice however. :)

Even if it doesn't make sense to another person. But how we all use our own devices is up to us and I respect that - even if it's not how I would use my own.

Yes you were, you do little else but cause trouble and arguments on here:mad:

Don't you Erik:D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Where my devices sit all day at work.

2017-02-06 10.51.00.jpg

And when I'm at home.

2017-02-05 08.14.26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TwitchyPuppy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.